Books for kids

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

Really sorry for going off topic. But replying to my own thread in response to native Bon's post got me really thinking. There are certain books, that have been the pillar of my childhood. And all gifted by my generous uncle everytime he visited us, which was once a year. My uncle is very old now, but he still only gifts books to everybody.

My daughter loves reading books too. And she is only 9 years old. And she has already enjoyed the below classics :

1. The adventures of Tom Sawyer
2. Kidnapped
3. The count of Monte Cristo
4. Treasure island
5. The call of the wild
6. Robinson Crusoe

Can you all please suggest any books that she's missed.

I myself grew from the above books, to the famous five and secret seven, then the three investigators, then hardy boys, then Agatha Christie, then allister Mc lean...and now I read pretty much everything.

But the joy I derived from the above classics still stays unmatched. So any book suggestions for my daughter are most welcome.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
chebby said:
Little Women.

Black Beauty.

The Adentures Of Robin Hood (Puffin Classics version.)

Will add that to my list. Wonder how I missed little women and black beauty from my list :)

Never read robin hood , but seen both the movie versions. And liked Kevin Costner's better.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
At that age, I enjoyed:

- Willard Price Adventure Series:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willard_Price%27s_Adventure_series

- Sherlock Holmes

- Watership Down

- 101 Dalmations/Starlight Barking

= I also enjoyed the Bulldog Drummond books...but they may be a bit too old fashioned.

- Paddington

- Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
At that age, I enjoyed:

- Willard Price Adventure Series:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willard_Price%27s_Adventure_series

- Sherlock Holmes

- Watership Down

- 101 Dalmations/Starlight Barking

= I also enjoyed the Bulldog Drummond books...but they may be a bit too old fashioned.

- Paddington 

- Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy.

I grew up on many Sherlock Holmes books. With the hound of Baskervilles being my personal favourite. My daughter has always liked mystery. So will be a good idea to get them next. However, the rest of the books are all new to me . But will try to find them. More books the better :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I grew up without a TV, so my nose was always burried in a book.

There are the fun classics like Winnie the Poo and Dr. Seuss.

There's also Roald Dahl.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I grew up without a TV, so my nose was always burried in a book.

There are the fun classics like Winnie the Poo and Dr. Seuss.

There's also Roald Dahl.

I was allowed to borrow a book from my local library whenever I got good marks in school. And our local library had big and thick binded editions of comics that I used to borrow. Most were based on WWII stories. But I loved them all the same. That was when I was in sixth grade.

Shocked how the present generation of kids seek joy and solace in their ipads .

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Sadly, or perhaps quite rightly, a lot of the books I grew up reading are out-of-bounds these days. And no, I don't mean sneaking a peak at my dad's Mayfair collection :-0

Things like King Solomon's Mines, and other books of the Victorian era. Ripping yarns, but the attitudes to coloured people were quite attrocious in retrospect.

The Brontes, Dickens, etc. are all good though, if a little old fashioned, and the Douglas Adams Hitchhikers and Dirk Gently series too. You might have to explain to her what a video cassette recorder is / was though...

James Herriot's books are hilarious too and quite safe for a young'un.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Alice in Wonderland

Alice through the Looking Glass

Any of the Famous Five or Secret Seven books by Enid Blyton (not sure if you will find those in your country though)

The Magic Of The Far Away Tree

The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe

The various Oz books (Wizard of Oz, Return to Oz, etc)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts