Bob Marley - That bit better

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
£18 jib for Meloday Gardot the Absence the FLAC 24bit 96khz studio master is interesting.

Especially as I have Sooloos.... Meridian MC200

Has anyone downloaded it to try the quality?

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Beter Beeld & Geluid in Hilversum. It's friday evening and saturday. It's invitation only, so maybe so should give them call to see if they still have places left.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
6th.replicant said:
spockfish said:
Oh one more thing: friday I'm going to attent an event in the Netherlands organized by Linn Records where mr. Philip Hobbs (aka "the man with the golden ears") will attend and tell about how things work with respect to the recording process within Linn Records. The perfect time and place to ask him some questions I guess :)

Please ask Mr Hobbs how Linn Records justifies its 'golden' download prices, specifically why a 16/44 download costs more than the CD version? :shame:

For example, Melody Gardot's new album, The Absence, is £10 as a 16/44 from Linn or £8.99 as a CD from Amazon.co.uk :~

£1.01 for the pleasure of express (i.e. immediate) delivery, time saved ripping the disc and physical space saved in storage.

Or, perhaps it is simply because enough folks are willing to pay that much...this thread being a case in point.

manicm

SteveD said:
I bought the album on Linn download (24/96 FLAC converted to AIFF using XLD) and compared it one after the other with the 192kbps version I had already.

Couldn't tell a great difference between them although the 24/96 version sounds a bit more refined and you could only smell the ganja with the 24/96 version :wink:

Will I be rushing to buy more 24/96 material? No, because I don't think there is a huge difference between 256kbps (or actually even betweeen 192kbps) and the 24/96 version takes up 130MB per track vs approx 6MB per track on a 256kbps version and I use a Solid State Drive (because it is completely silent and fast) so space matters.

I think, on balance, lossless at around 800kbps is probably indistinguishable to my ears from higher res. versions so that's probably the extent I would go to.

In any case there isn't much on Linn records I would want to buy.

Thanks for the heads up though Cno, gave me another chance to play around and experiment and I don't regret the purchase at all.

Why did you convert the FLAC to AIFF? Ok, that's cos you have a Mac, but I wouldn't be surprised if the FLAC sounds better on a PC. Did the AIFF even preserve it as 24-bit? This is why I would never make such comparisons using a PC.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
paradiziac said:
6th.replicant said:
spockfish said:
Oh one more thing: friday I'm going to attent an event in the Netherlands organized by Linn Records where mr. Philip Hobbs (aka "the man with the golden ears") will attend and tell about how things work with respect to the recording process within Linn Records. The perfect time and place to ask him some questions I guess :)

Please ask Mr Hobbs how Linn Records justifies its 'golden' download prices, specifically why a 16/44 download costs more than the CD version? :shame:

For example, Melody Gardot's new album, The Absence, is £10 as a 16/44 from Linn or £8.99 as a CD from Amazon.co.uk :~

£1.01 for the pleasure of express (i.e. immediate) delivery, time saved ripping the disc and physical space saved in storage.

Or, perhaps it is simply because enough folks are willing to pay that much...this thread being a case in point.

Or "£1.01 for the pleasure of" no sleeve notes/nice-smelling-booklet/CD case and the faff of burning a backup to disc (as recommended by Linn), which takes longer than ripping a CD to iTunes.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
6th.replicant said:
paradiziac said:
6th.replicant said:
spockfish said:

Or "£1.01 for the pleasure of" no sleeve notes/nice-smelling-booklet/CD case and the faff of burning a backup to disc (as recommended by Linn), which takes longer than ripping a CD to iTunes.

I agree, I've never really "got" the idea of buying downloads at CD-like prices, even in 16/44 quality.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Here's details of the dynamic range of the remastered versions and HD (24/96) version. You'll notice the 1984 version is better than the 2002 releases and only marginally behind the latest "Hi-Res" version.

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=bob+marley&search_album=legend

A

Anonymous

manicm said:
SteveD said:
I bought the album on Linn download (24/96 FLAC converted to AIFF using XLD) and compared it one after the other with the 192kbps version I had already.

Couldn't tell a great difference between them although the 24/96 version sounds a bit more refined and you could only smell the ganja with the 24/96 version :wink:

Will I be rushing to buy more 24/96 material? No, because I don't think there is a huge difference between 256kbps (or actually even betweeen 192kbps) and the 24/96 version takes up 130MB per track vs approx 6MB per track on a 256kbps version and I use a Solid State Drive (because it is completely silent and fast) so space matters.

I think, on balance, lossless at around 800kbps is probably indistinguishable to my ears from higher res. versions so that's probably the extent I would go to.

In any case there isn't much on Linn records I would want to buy.

Thanks for the heads up though Cno, gave me another chance to play around and experiment and I don't regret the purchase at all.

Why did you convert the FLAC to AIFF? Ok, that's cos you have a Mac, but I wouldn't be surprised if the FLAC sounds better on a PC. Did the AIFF even preserve it as 24-bit? This is why I would never make such comparisons using a PC.

Hi manicm yes I converted to AIFF because I use a Mac for playback - this is recommended for Mac users on the Linn site as is the software used to convert between the two formats (FLAC and AIFF). The files remain 24/96. I suspect the reason I didn't think there was a great deal of difference is because the file I was comparing it with was based on a good master and this is what makes most difference I think.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks to the info on this thread, I finally got the 2002 Deluxe Edition of Legend and am perfectly happy with the sound quality.....so am not hankering after the 24 bit verson.

I also bought Exodus, which has also been well mastered.

Thx to all who responded, even if it took half a year to bring it to a conclusion.

Cno

A

Anonymous

Recommends that have a great sound on 24bit

The Bob Marley down load sounds wonderful.

Wilco latest album is another great sounding 24bit.

Recommends that have a great sound

The Doors - LA Woman 24bit

The Doors 24bit

Fleetwood Mac all their albums in 24bit

All The Beatles albums on 24 bit are the best recordings I have heard of them even over vinyl

Michal Jackson –Bad

Madona True Blue

Norah Jones – Littlie Broken Hearts

Linn recording – The Easy club – Folk album

Paul McCartney All what is out in 24bit

The ones that sound terrible on 24bit or just average

Nirvana

All talking heads albums

Rolling Stone albums

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Mirren Boy said:
Recommends that have a great sound on 24bit

The Bob Marley down load sounds wonderful.

Wilco latest album is another great sounding 24bit.

Recommends that have a great sound

The Doors - LA Woman 24bit

The Doors 24bit

Fleetwood Mac all their albums in 24bit

All The Beatles albums on 24 bit are the best recordings I have heard of them even over vinyl

Michal Jackson –Bad

Madona True Blue

Norah Jones – Littlie Broken Hearts

Linn recording – The Easy club – Folk album

Paul McCartney All what is out in 24bit

The ones that sound terrible on 24bit or just average

Nirvana

All talking heads albums

Rolling Stone albums

MB, thx for the info.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts