Bluray cofused!!! I am ... are you?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys/Gals whats all this version 1.0 or 1.1 with the new pana & so on?? Then I seem to remember reading about people talking about version 2.0?? Stop it my head is hurting!! lol! My question is I have started to buy a few Bluray discs now & thought I would get a little collection before I decide what player to go for, simple so far yeah....good. So do I have to worry about when I Come to buying a player at some stage this year whether they will play or not in other words will this version business get in the way or is it just to play rubbish features I dont want to see anyway? Next question if for some reason the player needs a firmware update how the hell do you do it? Or is it different for all players & not that simple! WHS & V comments/current bluray owners help this man please Ta!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
This is confusing me too, tho i havent made the move to blueray yet. id especially like to know - in laymans terms - what 1.1 and 2.0 or whatever will have that 1.0 doesnt.

A

Anonymous

As far as just watching the film goes it,s not an issue any existing BD players will play the film portion of any region compatible Blu-ray disc now or in the future.. Profile 1.1 players will be able to use the screen in screen function that will soon be the norm (apperently!) on BD 's ie watching special features in a smaller screen while watching the film.. Profile 2.0 reffers to a further level of interactivity like talking to other people watching the film.

A

Anonymous

Thats a great help 4bidden thanks for taking the time to reply...Any other comments grateful to please

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
4biddenplanet - cheers! so it doesnt affect extras...? i mean, you can still get extras on them? rarely an issue, but i do like the odd making of or whatever. effect? Affect? Meh. tomayto tomato.

A

Anonymous

I am with you guys... I have a PS3 but am getting frustrated about not being able to get DTS-HDMA out of it (picky I know!!) and with Sony still not saying yay or nay, I am leaning to the side of it can't do it...

As a consequence, I am leaning to getting a proper standalone player and awaiting Thursday to pop to my local newsagent and get the supplement...

Now I know 1.1 is a must but really can't see what 2.0 is going to give me. I hardly ever watch extras on my DVDs so downloading additional ones? Don't think I'll use it. Talking to others while watching the film?? NO WAY!! Quiet please, this ain't your local multi plex!!

Would much prefer a high quality transfer of film and sound than extras if I am honest (and I mean high quality!!)

What else is coming from profile 2.0? If I do want the additional stuff, I could always refer back to my PS3 I guess...

Most 1.1 players are updateable with firmware so they should play discs with no bother.

A

Anonymous

Can of worms me thinks!! Come on WHSV staff settle the score please we well confused lol??

A

Anonymous

Updatable to standards 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 but manufacturers bring out new firmwares for each player with new bits of code all the time - bug fixes etc. I think the Samsung has had a few fairly recently and I think the Panasonics are up to firmware 1.4 or something...

A

Anonymous

There have been many posts on the subject. Just use the search option.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="4biddenplanet"]As far as just watching the film goes it,s not an issue any existing BD players will play the film portion of any region compatible Blu-ray disc now or in the future.. Profile 1.1 players will be able to use the screen in screen function that will soon be the norm (apperently!) on BD 's ie watching special features in a smaller screen while watching the film.. Profile 2.0 reffers to a further level of interactivity like talking to other people watching the film.[/quote]

Errr, not so fast there buddy!!

My 7 month old Blu-ray player will not play anything released after Fantastic Four - Silver Surfer, including Die Hard 4, Day after Tomorrow, and others despite the latest firmware so dont be too sure. I would wait for a profile 2.0 player in the hope it will play earlier discs and most certainly would NOT assume an earlier player will play later discs.

I have now e-bay'd my BD discs and gone back to DVD's for now. Not buying ANY more Blu-Rays.

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
Prof 1.1 player must have secondary video and audio decoders to offer picture in picture features and live mixing of seperates soundtracks eg. a director's commentary mixed with the film's sound so that one is not drowned out by the other. Prof 1.1 players are not required to have an internet connection and, therefore, cannot be updated to profile 2.0 (BD-Live). Prof 2.0 will finally offer everything that HD DVD already offered. Prof 2.0 players are required to have an internet connection and at least 1gb of internal memory. The internet connection will allow it to access a host of new interactive features and will allow access to bonus material for films that Studios may make available at a later date. At the moment the PS3 is the only player that fulfills the criteria for a Prof 2.0 player and should be updated to the new profile around May/June.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
If what you read on the web is true, according to some underground PS3 sites there is a soon to be reliesed Custom firmware for the PS3 that will bypass any regional codeing on both BD and DVD.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Oldskool"][quote user="4biddenplanet"]As far as just watching the film goes it,s not an issue any existing BD players will play the film portion of any region compatible Blu-ray disc now or in the future.. Profile 1.1 players will be able to use the screen in screen function that will soon be the norm (apperently!) on BD 's ie watching special features in a smaller screen while watching the film.. Profile 2.0 reffers to a further level of interactivity like talking to other people watching the film.[/quote] Errr, not so fast there buddy!!

My 7 month old Blu-ray player will not play anything released after Fantastic Four - Silver Surfer, including Die Hard 4, Day after Tomorrow, and others despite the latest firmware so dont be too sure. I would wait for a profile 2.0 player in the hope it will play earlier discs and most certainly would NOT assume an earlier player will play later discs.
I have now e-bay'd my BD discs and gone back to DVD's for now. Not buying ANY more Blu-Rays.
[/quote]

What Blu Ray player did you buy? Are you sure you have all your firmware upgrades? My PS3s and Panasonic BD30 play all previously released discs. This is the first time I have heard of anything like this. I know people have had problems with new discs like FF but where sorted with firmware upgrades.

nads

[quote user="Bullseye"][quote user="Oldskool"][quote user="4biddenplanet"]As far as just watching the film goes it,s not an issue any existing BD players will play the film portion of any region compatible Blu-ray disc now or in the future.. Profile 1.1 players will be able to use the screen in screen function that will soon be the norm (apperently!) on BD 's ie watching special features in a smaller screen while watching the film.. Profile 2.0 reffers to a further level of interactivity like talking to other people watching the film.[/quote] Errr, not so fast there buddy!!

[/quote]

What Blu Ray player did you buy? Are you sure you have all your firmware upgrades? My PS3s and Panasonic BD30 play all previously released discs. This is the first time I have heard of anything like this. I know people have had problems with new discs like FF but where sorted with firmware upgrades.
[/quote]

http://whathifi.com/forums/t/4734.aspx he has listed it all there.

A

Anonymous

It appears to be the LG player he is referring to yet the other players are playing fine with firmware upgrades. I think OS could be a little more clear when posting as he is giving the impression that this is the case with all BD players, which is clearly not the case. All the Sony players play all discs with FW upgrades as far as I am aware. I have asked for some feedback over on blu-ray.com

Re: HD player/disc problems
Top man Andrew, on the ball AND it's Saturday! Clare, overtime claim on it's way. He he.

Anyway, as I started this can of worms, here goes with my findings as of 8/12/2007.

Just for your information, my player report is now as follows:

SONY BDP-S301 so far plays everything I have tried so far without problems (1 month old player)

SONY BDP-S1 will not play "Cars" or "Die Hard 4". (6 months old)

LG BH-100 will not play "Cars", "Die Hard 4", "Fantastic Four/Silver Surfer" OR "28 Weeks Later". (3 months old)

PS3 plays everything I have tried so far.

Oldschool.

A

Anonymous

Nice one gang there is some really useful info I have learnt from this & would like to thank you all for taking the time..anymore comments are welcome though please

Cheers

A

Anonymous

[quote user="remixes"]Hi guys/Gals whats all this version 1.0 or 1.1 with the new pana & so on?? Then I seem to remember reading about people talking about version 2.0?? Stop it my head is hurting!! lol!

My question is I have started to buy a few Bluray discs now & thought I would get a little collection before I decide what player to go for, simple so far yeah....good. So do I have to worry about when I Come to buying a player at some stage this year whether they will play or not in other words will this version business get in the way or is it just to play rubbish features I dont want to see anyway?

Next question if for some reason the player needs a firmware update how the hell do you do it? Or is it different for all players & not that simple!

WHS & V comments/current bluray owners help this man please

Ta![/quote]

Profile versions are actually very simple to describe by keeping things basic.

Profile 1.0 will play the main feature of current and future releases (assuming firmware updates).

Profile 1.1 is as above, but also allows the added feature of Picture In Picture for the directors commentary.

Profile 2.0 is as 1.0 and 1.1 but allows the player to connect to the Internet for extra content.

Most will be perfectly happy with Profile 1.0, some will want the extra functionality of Profile 1.1 and very few will want to run a network cable to their player for Profile 2.0.

As Profile 1.1 players are very nearly available, I'd say that Profile 1.1 is the minimum if you can afford it. How likely are you to connect your player to the Internet and use Profile 2.0? Me? Never! I certainly haven't for HD-DVD.

If it is the same as a HD-DVD player, you may update the firmware via the use of a CD. If you can not obtain one from the manufacturer, you will need a PC to download the ISO image from their website and burn the image to a CD. The player will "play" the CD and update the firmware from it. Later players will probably download firmware from the Internet as well, but of course you'll need to run a cable to it.

That's all there is to it.

A

Anonymous

Nice one sir thats was very helpful thanks so much for taking the time to post ;0)

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
IMHO the ability to CHOOSE to up date the firmware on the players via a disc rather than a forced internet download will eventually see to being able to instal custom firmware that will overide this ridiculas Regional coding on BD software.
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts