Blue Ray players

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Is it worth considering getting a Blue Ray player if I only have an HD ready tv and not a full HD ? My tv is a Toshiba WLT 66 which is 3 years old. Excellent picture still.

A

Anonymous

Which screen do you have? I have a 3 year old Toshiba 42WLT66 - is yours the 42" model? It's only HD ready (although has a 1920x1280 pixel screen, it doesn't support 1080p bizarrely) Cracking off-air pictures I'll have you know.

I got a Panasonic BD55 and my first BD was Dr No...the improvement in picture quality was startling. My second BD was Blade Runner, and using the speakers on the TV alone, the sound quality is very noticeably better, much greater width (don't know if that's the term for it) but the sound effects went round the room much better even from the standard TV speakers. There's also a scene in Superbad which I watched on the standard speakers and I honestly thought my mobile was buzzing at the side of the room because it throws the sound out much better than and DVD soundtracks. Cable is a QED HDMI-P.

I've since got a Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and Tannoy Revoution Signature Speakers, so I rarely use the TV speakers any more.

To summarise, I saw a marked improvement in picture quality going from upscaled DVD (I have a Sony HDX870 DVD?Hard Drive Recorder) to BD and sound quality was also considerably better on the TV itself.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I think you will still get a better picture, but whether it's worth splashing out for a blu-ray player and all those expensive films is up to you. I would get a Toshiba XDE-500 dvd player, which has made my dvds look a lot better,im using a 40" Samsung and also a Ps3. It might be worth getting a ps3 if your into your gaming, other than that i think the best upgrade you can make would be to look at a bigger tv first and then invest into a budget blu-ray player later in the year.

A

Anonymous

At 32" you will see less of a difference between 720p and an equivalent 32" full HD 1080p screen, so not being Full HD is less of an issue. You will still see an improvement between DVD and Blu, so the Blu Ray is worth the investment in my opinion. Remember it's not just about the picture, the sound is also much better. If you have a surround system then all the more reason to go Blu Ray for HD audio.

Like I said, I noticed a big difference in sound quality going from my Sony upscaling DVD (costing £300 at the time) to the Panasonic BD55 even just using my Toshiba TV's speakers. There are new Blu ray Players on the market from Sony, Panasonic and plenty more at the higher end, don't let the size or resoultion of your screen put you off. You will experience a difference. Take a look yourself, there are still plenty of HD ready sets on the market, you should be able to get a demo of Blu Ray on an HD ready set.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts