Blue ray for my system?

peds

Mar 2, 2008
Visit site
I know there are many excellent blue ray players currently available from Sony and Panasonic to name the two i am most interested in. I have the following system of TV / Audio, (some equipment older than others)
Panasonic Th37 Px60B
Panasonic DMR EX 85
ONKYO TX SR 605
Kef 2005.2
Playstation 3(American)
SKY + (HD Any day now!)

My question relates to the ability of my plasma. I would like to get the Panasonic DMP BD30 (currently less than £250) however as i am not going to change my panel for a while yet am i going to be wasting my time and money going for such a spec Blue Ray player? should i go for the BD55 when released and will my TV maximise the abillity of the payer? Which ever Blue Ray i choose it will replace my dvd recorder as I don't really record on anything but Sky +. As my PS3 is American it is prooving more difficult to buy Blue ray disks that work on it from here in the UK.

I know there are best buy recomendations on this site but i simply want to get the best Blue Ray Player my system will benefit from rather in any specific price range.

Thanks to any and all that can help on this subject.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
In your case i would look for a decent budget blu-ray player, the BD30 has been improved by the newer BD35 and is 2.0 profile ready and can do all the onboard decoding for all the hd formats.I found a good price at the BT shop although out of stock at the moment, new stock arriving in the next 5-7 days. Price for this was £258, so not that much more than the BD30, cheapest ive seen it. Also the new Sony BDP-S350 is out for around £200 and thats a great player at that price, Panasonic pips it in performance.

peds

Mar 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks lobby, I did think i would be wasting my money on the Panasonic BD55 as my tv certainly wouldnt have complemented the player. New Tv may be required sooner than planned!!

A

Anonymous

As you already have a PS3 and only a 37ins display...stick with the PS3 as you aren't going to see a huge difference whereas you probably would on a display say 46ins and upwards

I say this because my son has a PS3 and I have not noticed a huge margin of difference between this, the Sony BDPS350 or in fact the Pansaonic BD30 certainly not enough to make me want to rush to the shops and get either of the latter two models

I must confess though the next Panasonic model up which I saw yesterday for around £430........ I think it was the Panasonic DMP-BD55 showing on a 50ins Panasonic TV screen was great

peds

Mar 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Tallyho,

My PS3 is American so uk Blue Ray are "no go" now that region coding is becoming more prevelant. I am hoping to also improve very good sounding audio from my PS3 with the new player to my Onk amp.

Given your experience, are you suggesting that no blue ray would be better on my pannel in comparison to PS3 as my tv isn't able to maximise the players ability irrespective of money spent??

I really dont want to spend £400 on the new BD55, for example, if the panel wont improve enough to justify the spend. On this basis I wonder if I should just get the sony 350 as this is available for less than £200.

A

Anonymous

peds:Thanks Tallyho, My PS3 is American so uk Blue Ray are "no go" now that region coding is becoming more prevelant. I am hoping to also improve very good sounding audio from my PS3 with the new player to my Onk amp. Given your experience, are you suggesting that no blue ray would be better on my pannel in comparison to PS3 as my tv isn't able to maximise the players ability irrespective of money spent?? I really dont want to spend £400 on the new BD55, for example, if the panel wont improve enough to justify the spend. On this basis I wonder if I should just get the sony 350 as this is available for less than £200.

No...not syaing that any blu ray player would not be better on your panel....You already have a PS3 and I bet that looks good.

But I think your TV is an HD ready one only and once again it is only a 37incher...given what you say about your PS3 I would then contemplate going for this http://whathifi.com/Review/Panasonic-DMP-BD35/ to comliment your current Panasonic. In my view for upto 42ins this would be a great partnership for any HD ready or Full HD Display

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts