blu ray

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

sonycentre:maxflinn:does anyone know if , dances with wolves is out on bluray ??
Yes it is maxflinn,Its in hmv stores at a respectable £13.99.the sound is stunning and a very good picture.

Play £11.99
emotion-21.gif

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/10287808/Dances-With-Wolves/Product.html?&engine=froogle_film&keyword=Dances+With+Wolves+Blu-Ray&_$ja=tsid:11518|cc:|prd:10287808|cat:Movie+%3E+Blu-Ray+%3E+Drama

A

Anonymous

bonnie0523:
i have a 42 panny x10,its only 720p.i am now looking for a stand blu-ray player but after trying to work out which one i still don,t know.i normally buy products on the basis of how many stars what hi.fi have given them,but after buying my x10 given the 5 stars buy what hi.fi i wont be doing that again,i think there guys are to generous with there stars,me myself would rate the x10 as 3 stars and now its as low as £525 then possibly 4 stars.after reading so many reviews of buyers from products that these guys have rated 5 stars and product buyers have rated them less stars.i sometimes wonder if they get paid to big up products.hope not..i now what hi fi people will come back at me with the same old stoey that they rate products on the value but when your giving 5 stars for products its makes people think that the product is hot.e.g the x10,the sony 360,come on guys sort yourselfs out...

You think the telly is worth 3 stars because you can't see much difference between HD and SD? Whats to say you won't see the difference on any other telly?

To be fair you shouldn't talk stars so much, they're a simple gimmick, a publication like WHF caters for people from those who want to gloss over details and simply be told they have the best they can buy through those who want to research things and find the best for them. If you're the latter what you need to know is in the review. Whether WHF award 4 or 5 stars, or perhaps evan 3, is largely irrelevant.

BTW how far do you sit from this telly?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Compared the first court scene and Gordons meeting with Dent in TDK on BR and DVD. Also compared the start, until the joker leaves the bank.

Bank scene looked better, i think, on BR but then i remembered it was shot in imax which may have made some diference on bluray that it didnt on DVD(?).

The other scenes - i really struggled to see a difference. Cant say for sure that i did or not.

i was sat about 5 foot away, my gear is in my sig.

EDIT - sound not really relevant as i was just using the TVs speakers. Couldnt really tell a difference tho.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
manicm:

From what I can gather, you'd be wasting your money on Bluray titles older than about 2 years - otherwise stick with DVDs for your old stuff.

Obviously there will be exceptions to this - I'm sure Mr Lucas is BDing Star Wars as we speak, and of-course LOTR.

Need to use discretion for older titles.

And, people tell me, the Bonds.

lee37

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
a few quick points.

a few people on here rave about the pioneers plasmas while they may be very good most companies have now switched to lcd and led.

only pioneer for the moment is making plasma so consumer demand and quality of product has forced manufactures to stop producing plasmas. as i remember there was a lot of poor quality plasmas with shorter life span than lcd back in the early days.

originally plasma was better than lcd but not now

also most films are shot on 35mm or hd etc and all transfers on bluy ray should be top quality.

the problem you have is rushed releases or just lazyness by the studios.

think about you have never seen a grainy move at the cinema ( think starwars in 1977) and look at the size of the movie screens

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
lee37:only pioneer for the moment is making plasma so consumer demand and quality of product has forced manufactures to stop producing plasmas. as i remember there was a lot of poor quality plasmas with shorter life span than lcd back in the early days.

Actually, Pioneer is no longer making plasma, but the likes of Panasonic, LG and Samsung still are...

lee37

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
andrew i stand corrected.

ia actually saw some samsung plasmas last week in currys, first thing to go is the memory !!!!

lcd and led still have the majority of tv`s sold with plasma looking like it going the way of the dodo

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Hence one of the reasons Panasonic is pushing 3D so hard, and saying that only plasma screens are good enough to show it properly...

Given the way panasonic are shifting plasma displays & the plasmas continued preference by many I can't see the technology being binned very soon, in fact panasonic must have a very juicy almost niche market, LED-LCD hybrids or OLED may supersede it in time but right now you can't do much better than viera in many peoples opinion and right nows what matters...

Interesting article BTW thanks, seems the 3D has a lot of issues to iron out and I'm not surprised, going down to the bfi imax for a half-hour showcase is all well and lovely and quite a giggle but I'm not sure I'd want to see a whole film with what they have to offer. Or even that it'd add anything to films that aren't crash-bang action movies. Is there a thread on 3D BTW? Can't find one.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Hence one of the reasons Panasonic is pushing 3D so hard, and saying that only plasma screens are good enough to show it properly...

When, instead of encouraging gimmickry, thwy should be saying "look, "Great" Bristish public, buy plasmas because theyre better"!

Ran into a dealer the other day who rekons theyve deliberately removed the word plasma from advertising for their PDPs due to the bad rep plasma has due to all those familiar aplasma myths. Not sure he's right, but they should just be saying...well, as above.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts