Blu ray disks to avoid

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have avoided the World At War box set on Blu-ray and kept my old DVD set because the Blu-ray version has been cropped (from the original 4:3) to fit 16:9.

This is inexcusable, especially given the historical/archive nature of the content.

super

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
War of the worlds, saving private Ryan, Dirty dancin' (wife's). Bullet to the head...which has just come out. Judge Dredd....picture quality wasn't much good on that either.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
I have avoided the World At War box set on Blu-ray and kept my old DVD set because the Blu-ray version has been cropped (from the original 4:3) to fit 16:9.

This is inexcusable, especially given the historical/archive nature of the content.

Agreed.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
super said:
War of the worlds, saving private Ryan, Dirty dancin' (wife's). Bullet to the head...which has just come out. Judge Dredd....picture quality wasn't much good on that either.

War of the Worlds has fantastic PQ and SQ. Saving private Ryan used to be renowned as a test disc for SQ and also has excellent PQ. Seems like maybe you don't like the purposefully washed out colour palette and grain in those films.

nws56

Oct 4, 2008
Visit site
Four Lions is little better than the DVD, likewise 28 days later.

My pet hate is when the sound is worse on the blu , as with Perfume

and The Island. Yes , I know I'm supposed to hate Bay, but can't help

loving it.

Just remembered some more disappointments... English Patient wasn't a huge

improvement , and Hero is borderline too. It would seem that poor source material

can be exposed mercilessly in high def whereas DVD can be kinder here.

super

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
__________________I thought we were talking picture quality here because the sound quality on all these films are excellent. But you're right Benlaw I don't like washed out colour and grain in films. I didn't pay thousands and thousands of pounds on high quality equipment to be let down because some director of a film thinks I should see it in grainy picture, you don't see it like that in the real world so why in a film ?

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
super said:
__________________I thought we were talking picture quality here because the sound quality on all these films are excellent. But you're right Benlaw I don't like washed out colour and grain in films. I didn't pay thousands and thousands of pounds on high quality equipment to be let down because some director of a film thinks I should see it in grainy picture, you don't see it like that in the real world so why in a film ?

I think you'll find that's the director's prerogative.

Sci-fi films aren't the real world - how should they look?

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
super said:

I don't think you will like Band of Brothers either then.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts