Blu-Ray and old region 1 DVDs

planetgaffnet

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Within a couple of months I'll be upgrading my system - plasma/amp/DVD, the works. With the Blu-Ray/HD battle pretty much over, I shall be going for Blu-Ray but need to know something that I can find scant data about on the web.

Presently my DVDs are split 50/50 region 1 and region 2. I'm undecided as to the Blu-Ray machine I'll be getting yet, but generally, will it be able to play my old region 1 DVDs or will I have to do a handset hack/chip upgrade?

Thanks for any info.

P

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
At the moment, we haven't seen a single Blu-ray player that's hackable to multiregion playback (of Blu-ray or DVD discs).

Of course, it's still very early days for the format, and as more manufacturers enter the market and Blu-ray becomes more mainstream we may see hacks emerging.

However, with region coding a key part of the format spec, it can't be guaranteed.

We will, of course, keep you all updated - i'm desparate to know myself, as I have a huge collection of Region 1 (and 3) DVDs, and at the moment am having to keep my old multiregion player to hand when my PS3 spits out a non-R2 disc...

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
at the moment am having to keep my old multiregion player to hand when my PS3 spits out a non-R2 disc...
[/quote]

Are you using your PS3 for all your region 2 discs?, is it a good upscaler?
I have the same problem, I'm using my HD-EP35 for region 2, but have to use my old Samsung DVD recorder to play the Region 1 discs. Having to keep that set up means I now have 4 possible DVD players plugged in to my Onkyo 875, PS3 EP35, XBox 360 and the Samsung.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, I use PS3 for R2 DVDs - but it's set to native output as I have better upscalers further down the food chain! (But then I do project onto an 80in screen, so SD upscaling is somewhat more key to me than most!)

In general the PS3 doesn't do a bad upscaling job - certainly a big step up from some cheap DVD upscalers, if not a match for something pricier like the Marantz DV7001.

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
Yes, I use PS3 for R2 DVDs - but it's set to native output as I have better upscalers further down the food chain!
[/quote]

I use the EP35, but have it running through an Onkyo 875, will this improve it further or is all the upscaling done in one device?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
With that combo (or the PS3) i'd let the Onkyo do the upscaling - set the player to output at native resolution and let the receiver handle the rest.

planetgaffnet

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi Clare
Thanks for the reply...it was just the answer I was looking for. I want to declutter more than anything else - I'm running an Arcam DV78 for everything right now...I might just take it with me when I purchase the screen (probably a 42" Kuro) to see how it checks out and maybe hold off on the BR for a few months.

Cheers again

P

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
With that combo (or the PS3) i'd let the Onkyo do the upscaling - set the player to output at native resolution and let the receiver handle the rest.

[/quote]

Thanks for that Clare, just one more thing.

I can't seem to find an output option on the EP35 set up, there is a resolution setting but I am assuming this also applies to the HD DVD's as it does not say otherwise, there is no native option and I don't want to run HDDVDs at less than 1080. Any idea's? also do I need to check/change any settings on the 875?

Cheers

John

A

Anonymous

[/quote]

I have a ps3 and an onkyo 605 would you let the onkyo do the upscaling and if so what settings would you have to put the units on

nads

[quote user="rapsey"]

[/quote]

I have a ps3 and an onkyo 605 would you let the onkyo do the upscaling and if so what settings would you have to put the units on
[/quote]

the 605 does not Upscale, so it is not an option.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="FoxJA"]

I can't seem to find an output option on the EP35 set up, there is a resolution setting but I am assuming this also applies to the HD DVD's as it does not say otherwise, there is no native option and I don't want to run HDDVDs at less than 1080. Any idea's? also do I need to check/change any settings on the 875?

Cheers

John
[/quote] I'm not an EP35 menu expert, i'm afraid - and the guys who'd be more familiar with it are still working hard down at Bristol. Keep the Onkyo set to output at 1080p - it'll upscale anything lower-resolution and bypass anything already at 1080p.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="nads"][quote user="rapsey"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

the 605 does not Upscale, so it is not an option.[/quote]

nads is right - the 605 does video switching (ie several sources in, single HDMI out) but not video upscaling.

A

Anonymous

i have just downloaded a disc onto my pioneer 70a that has made it multi regional dvd player. Works just fine on all region dvds ive tried. All thanks to my v friendly local hifi dealer who gave it to me for free. Get that service when buying online?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Very interesting. Pioneer were one of the first to make their DVD players multiregion via dealer support - looks like they're following suit with Blu-ray.

I'll be onto Pioneer on Monday to sort out our reference '70A!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
OK, here's an update - the multiregion floodgates, it seems, are opening.

A range of retailers are now happily selling Blu-ray players from several manufacturers advertised as being multiregion for DVD.

I've also heard more reports of retailers AND manufacturers offering post-purchase firmware upgrades that'll make their players cope with multiregion DVDs - though none that'll go on the record with the details for us to print. Yet.

Watch this space!

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
There is also custom firmware on the way for the PS3 that will enable Multi-region playback of both DVD and Blu-Ray according to certain PS3/PSP networks, I suppose this makes sense as they managed to completly hack the PSP so why not the PS3?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="FoxJA"][quote user="Clare Newsome"]

[/quote] Thanks for that Clare, just one more thing.

I can't seem to find an output option on the EP35 set up, there is a resolution setting but I am assuming this also applies to the HD DVD's as it does not say otherwise, there is no native option and I don't want to run HDDVDs at less than 1080. Any idea's? also do I need to check/change any settings on the 875? Cheers John

[/quote]if you update the firmware in the Ep35 to version 2.0

http://toshibahddvd.eu/firmware/download_latest_firmware.html

this will install an automatic resolution selector into the picture setup.

A

Anonymous

Further to Claire's comments: Current blu ray players can be chipped for regions A or B (blu-ray), and regions 1 or 2 (standard dvd). bluray-upgrades.com are able to chip certain players using a chip and reprog method that will not restrict future firmware updates. Hope this of interest to some of you. Thanks Claire, hope you don't mind the plug.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts