Bloodly Hell

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Tonight I have spent much of it being captivated, seduced by music.

Let me explain, I have for well over 30 yrs loved listening to and delighting in the performances of a varied selection of music. Whilst for me (as a increasingly grumpy 55 yr old) has been on a never ending quest to enjoy the best that my pockets could afford, one thing has become clear.

A music performance, is and has always been, a musical performance!
As Hi Fi / AV systems have been increasingly developed the fundamentals do not change.......

The sound you hear is only as good as its signal path and its original recording. What has knocked my socks off tonight is a Onkyo 875 which being fed a totally clean mains supply (as had the rest of the system) fed from a bloody PS3 (with CD based, clean down load off a Apple Classic iPod)
has given me one of the best performances, presence, involvement on a wide range of music of my life!

The effortless never ending power and clarity (the music didn't even sound too loud) but the bass shook the sofa, with a firm grip which I could hardly believe.

This has re confirmed my thoughts formed. Which is, as more and more complexed the designs are in HI Fi and AV equipment the importance is greater than ever to reduce the distorsion / interaction of it in the signal path getting to ones ears.

I have a track car that I run on 5 star fuel, I don't compromise and run my music system on dirty fuel either. The results of which is a musical involvement I could never had imagained off a AV based system.
Hi End? I have had the pleasure of that for many years and it is as good!

Bloody hell!

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
the biggest thing i notice is the difference in quality between recordings or should that be mixing of albums - there are far to many that are just to loud and overblown and i don't care how good your stereo is they still sound c***

A

Anonymous

You've mentioned the electronics but don't forget your hearing will have deteriorated since you were a lad.

nads

and it was all going so well until the 5 star comment. the only reason to really run a high octane fuel is that the compresion ratio demands it.

Oh and i want the dirty fuel back as my sprint car needs the Lead.
emotion-5.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
trevor79:What has knocked my socks off tonight is a Onkyo 875 which being fed a totally clean mains supply (as had the rest of the system) fed from a bloody PS3 (with CD based, clean down load off a Apple Classic iPod) has given me one of the best performances, presence, involvement on a wide range of music of my life!

You don't mention the speakers but certainly the amp is well respected....

http://whathifi.com/Review/Onkyo-TX-SR875/

Quote from review....

"An even greater surprise is the Onkyo's facility with music. Once it would have stomped home well behind the likes of an Arcam, but the '875 delivers a natural, uncoloured stereo sound, well focused and well judged.".

It does not suprise me that using an iPod or a PS3 (or both) or a computer as a source can yield a great sound if - as you say - the material was recorded well in the first place.

A

Anonymous

nads:
and it was all going so well until the 5 star comment. the only reason to really run a high octane fuel is that the compresion ratio demands it.

Oh and i want the dirty fuel back as my sprint car needs the Lead.
emotion-5.gif

Yes, compression ratio at 14:1 on a hand built race spec 2ltr engine.

A

Anonymous

chebby:trevor79:What has knocked my socks off tonight is a Onkyo 875 which being fed a totally clean mains supply (as had the rest of the system) fed from a bloody PS3 (with CD based, clean down load off a Apple Classic iPod) has given me one of the best performances, presence, involvement on a wide range of music of my life!

You don't mention the speakers but certainly the amp is well respected....

http://whathifi.com/Review/Onkyo-TX-SR875/

Quote from review....

"An even greater surprise is the Onkyo's facility with music. Once it would have stomped home well behind the likes of an Arcam, but the '875 delivers a natural, uncoloured stereo sound, well focused and well judged.".

It does not suprise me that using an iPod or a PS3 (or both) or a computer as a source can yield a great sound if - as you say - the material was recorded well in the first place.

Modded Monitor Audio RS8, RSW12, RSLCR, RSFX with Clarity Cap SA's / Vishay MKP1837's in cross overs.
Puts the dynamics, timing, background clarity into the speakers that was lacking before.
Perhaps they didn't want them to sound similar to the GS series? Unsure that even those have this quality of components in them.

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
trevor79:

Yes, compression ratio at 14:1 on a hand built race spec 2ltr engine.

Sorry - off topic but..

14:1 ? wow that's high. What engine is this Trevor?

You must have a good engine management system to prevent high speed detonation too... (fuel injected no doubt?)

Tony.

A

Anonymous

Hi Tony,

I have a mk2 Golf GTI since 1991. Its been built up from a bare shell and was featured in Rabbit magazine a few years ago. Hardly anything is standard on it.
The engines bottom half is a mk3 long stroke, lightened/balanced. Big 8v head, valves lightened/shaped, everything has been gas flowed, Scrick 310 cam. Complete hand made manifold/exhaust system. Revs to 8000rpm. Did the head work myself.

Has done 10,000 miles now since complete rebuild!

Oh sorry, it doesn't have Hi Fi in it, just the beautiful noise that it makes. Its very free reving.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts