BK XXLS400 thoughts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I've just used a laser measure and the room is 5.838m right to left and 5.163m front to back. MLP is 1.730m from the back and 2.975m. The sofa position is pretty stuck due to door access so I can't move the MLP more that 20cm in either direction.

You're spot on about window shaking bass, fun for a while but the novalty wears off when the daughter wakes up and the wife starts to nag. Is a deeper reaching sub kept in the same place going to do anything for me?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If I have understood your dimensions correctly this is how it is where you sit.

If you can move the seat I would

room%204_zps1njmdorl.png

Right I've shifted the sofa so the MLP is 1.9 from the back wall and 2.2 from the right. That should be 38% for both front to back and left to right dimensions. I'll re-run the anti mode and Audyssey and see how it sounds.

BTW - if the wife hits the roof I'm blaming you!

Seriously though, thanks for all the help.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I dont know why you are running the anitmode then auddessey - that is counter productive.

One will try and eq to one target curve then the other to another. You just want one system running not 2. I would bypass the antimode and run auddessey on its own - with the antimode you are getting an unwanted A/D conversion in the chain.

With Auddessey in the receiver its all digital before its converted. Its not as easy to notice this with bass because our ears are not so sensitive to noise in bass but I dont see the logic running both as they will be looking to do something different.

Just my 2p worth to hopefully help

What sub have you got now?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
room%205_zpsux4io1sg.png

If I have understoof you correcty this is an improvement on where you had it - a big one - the bass is rising how you want it - a good eq system will shape that for you to be smoother

Its also a much better response from 60 - 120hz through your crossover region

Let me know what you think to it with the seating position there

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
BTW - tell the wife this hobby is life long and can expensive, you could have endlessly thrown money at your bass and not actually improved it hardly at all sitting where you was.

Moving the sofa a few feet which in the grander scheme in a room that size (nice size room) with that layout will mean you buy one sub / maybe sell the antimode - chop the Auddessey receiver for a receiver with Dirac and be done mate for a while. *give_rose* for her not you :)

Sorry for the delay ellisdj, I've been experimenting and shifting the seating position around quite a bit - it has made a difference. I was wondering about moving the sub to the back of the room (back right corner - directly opposite where it is now) as I can get a seating position much closer to your 38% rule there. That's why I was wondering about the wireless solutions as I can't cable it there.

Room%20setup_zpsrvcm0hl7.jpg

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I would suggest without even modelling that position that would not work.

You dont need to sit near the sub you just need the sub in the right spot for your seat.

Looking at the sub your using that is the weak link in perfomance and is limiting your options.

Running B&W M1's they are not going to extend hardly at all into the bass region - you will be lucky to get usable 100hz out of them.

The sub you have now appears very underpowered for a room of your size - thats a bigger room you have there.

Keep the sub where it is - put the listening position where I suggested because that is where you had the best Freq Response.

Now is the time to be looking to buy a new sub - but try and buy one that works into a higher range 100 - 150 hz range.

You have the luxury of having the sub in the middle of the front 2 speakers so directional bass from the sub wont matter.

You may find a higher crossover of 100 - 150hz gives you a much fuller more punchy sound as well as far more ouput from 100hz and down.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The difference between a proper subwoofer - a BKXLS400 or better will be huge compared to what you have now.

Especially if you have the seat in the right spot for it as well not where you had it before

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Something like this might be a good option for you.

It takes up limited floor space to fit behind your TV - depending on how big your TV and stand etc is you probably wouldnt even see it. This will be a good performer - ask SonofSj he has one I think

The only snag is adjusting the volume on it once the tv is back in the way - but thats the same for any cheaper sub without a remote - 99% of subs actually.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I will need to have a look and check for you, limited time just now - please bear with me

Did you see my other comment re not running the antimode and auddessey together?

Thanks for all your continued help on this, I do appreciate it.

I really like the look of that SVS and the reviews are pretty unanimously praising. My receiver has dual subwoofer outputs that apparently can be independantly EQ'd by Audyssey. Would there be any value in keeping the Sony/another sub in the system somewhere?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Ray seating position looks ok actually and should work.

Bear in mind you are getting a lot of room gain at 30hz like we ssaid before rattle and rumble bass.

The SVS PC12 Plus would give you the option to alter your subs response with the port bungs if your getting too much rumble however at a higher cost

Audessey should fix it but I dont know how effective it is, never owned a product with audessey

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Ray - what did you do in the end? Have you jumped in yet.

Xmas coming up normally means some time of work to get some movie time in

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If you haven't bought anything yet LSound have got a 30% off svs sale for black Friday might get you the higher range pc sub in your budget

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Ray Fielding said:
I went for the monolith plus in the end. It was the oak finish option and price (£548 inc P&P) that swung it. Just waiting (very excitedly and impatiently) for it to arrive.

Nice one, let us know how you get on with it.

I don't use my XXLS400 for music these days, so I wish now I had got the Monolith too *scratch_one-s_head*

scene

I was torn between the XXLS400-DF and Monolith-DF and went with the XXLS in the end and have been happy with it.

I look forward to hearing how you get on with the Monolith Plus - hope you've got a friend to help move it as it is a beast in terms of size/weght :)

Taj27

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
love my XXLS 400 DF! i have Radius R90's and a radius centre, the radius sub is ...er ok, but want some volume the R360hd sub i had then did not keep up or fill the 'void'. I pondered and went for it - best choice i had made, all movies and music are great sounding (to us anyhow!) no lacking in bass and rumbles and bangs from movies are good. Turn it up for the tunes and no problem again, house shakes nicely lol! (well it is a new build house...) I set it up with my yamaha aventage microphone and let the amp do the set up and then went from there really. (well turned up the bass a little as i like a tad extra)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts