A/V receiver advice

pantthrower

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently running a 7.1 (with rear surrounds) system off a Sony STR-DN1040 receiver and looking to upgrade to add atmos.

I've got an BK electronics XXLS400 sub and the surrounds are all second generation B&W M1's and I'm looking to add a pair of B&W CCM664 ceiling speakers.

Any advice on which A/V receiver would match well?

Many thanks

pantthrower

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
I'd love to go for 4 but I think room layout means I won't have too much space behind the MLP so likely just two.

Denon AVR-X6300H is very appealing though

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
simonlewis said:
Denon AVR-X7200WA or Marantz 7010.

Either the Denon or the Marantz would be my choice. They probably the same guts inside a different case with diferent knobs and buttons. Marantz units are made in Vietnam or China whereas the Denon versions are made in Japan, apparently.

I have the Marantz 7010, bought about four months ago, and am very pleased with it. Setup is a breeze as the on screen instructions are really easy to follow, if a little "Janet and John" about connecting the speakers. Atmos, DTSX, 4K pass-through, 4K upscaling, simulated Atmos from non Atmos sources, HDCP2.2, ARC, HDR, makes the tea during the Coronation Street commercials, you name it, the Marantz does it.

You do not need an external power amp to drive 9 channels, but if you want to go to 11 (e.g. four in-ceilings) you'll need a modest stereo power amp as well (I'm using an Onkyo M-5010). The setup allows you to choose between using the external amp for the rear overheads, or the front left and right. But, if the latter and it were me, I would use a real humdinger like an Emotiva XPA-3 3-channel power amp for the front left right and centre channels. Frankly though, in a normal sized room, the effectiveness of four overheads is questionable. I can't differentiate my four properly, but then maybe that's the intention. A debate rages on this issue with Ellisdj (our resident member of The Flat Earth Society) elsewhere on this forum.

The Marantz can handle up to 13 (yes thirteen) speakers hooked up to it, and it will choose 9 or 11 from those 13 for you depending on the source media and whether or not you have a power amp attached for the last two channels. The idea is that, say DTS:X might favour nine around-the-room speakers over seven, or seven around-the-room speakers plus two overheads plus two front highs / wides, whereas Atmos might favour seven around-the-room speakers and four overheads. It's supposed to be able to switch while you're watching too, but I haven't experimented with that.

Second and third zone setup is a bit tricky and to be honest I've given up trying. I was going to try and use one of the secondary zones for driving my "proper stereo" speakers - which are in the same room but only used for "proper stereo" duty, but either because of the number of surround sound speakers I'm using in the main zone, or just plain stupidity on my part, I can't get that to work.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts