BK XXLS 400 or Monolith sub??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The xls400 and monolith use different drivers to clarify that point.

Next proper step up is SVS SB13 Ultra. Bit more than £1k but worth every penny

You should demo the KK DXD12012 ellisdj. A member on AV forums rates it higher than the SVS. Scroll down and see samhain's post:

https://www.avforums.com/review/svs-sb-13-ultra-subwoofer-review.487

L-Sound offers a 45-day trial. Let us know what you think.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
There is a big price difference between the 2 models.

The chap asked what he can get better than the BK's for a £1k. I suggested the SVS as its a bit more than £1k but its definately a step up from the BK quality of sub, a very big step up from the XLS400 (not heard the monolith). The DXD is a lot more ££ again

I take peoples sub reviews with a pinch of salt - take a lot of reviews with a pinch of salt, but especially subs as there is complexity to the setup.

I have no doubt that the DXD1202 is an amazing sub, no doubt at all - but the SVS is also an amazing sub for a lot less ££.

When you eventually come and hear my system you will see why I say this :)

In addition - I could hear my BK's limitations long before I decided to upgrade. I honeslty have not found the limit on the SVS - bass performasnce is what it is in terms of frequency response - is never going to go the deepest - other subs do that better but it goes pretty deep - however the level of control, transparency and general underpinning of the sound it achieves is honestly phenominal.

I havent found a weakness yet, they will exist but they are not glaring obvious.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I'm gonna chuck something something else into the pot. An antimode. I was drawn to your comment that certain bass notes were flabby and that could very well be the room rather than the sub causing it. It seems likely, as the Rels of that era are very good (the storms with movies, especially). The antimode could really sort the flabby bass out for a couple hundred quid.

ellisdj said:
There is a big price difference between the 2 models.

The chap asked what he can get better than the BK's for a £1k.  I suggested the SVS as its a bit more than £1k but its definately a step up from the BK quality of sub, a very big step up from the XLS400 (not heard the monolith).  The DXD is a lot more ££ again

I take peoples sub reviews with a pinch of salt - take a lot of reviews with a pinch of salt, but especially subs as there is complexity to the setup.?

I have no doubt that the DXD1202 is an amazing sub, no doubt at all - but the SVS is also an amazing sub for a lot less ££.

When you eventually come and hear my system you will see why I say this :)

In addition - I could hear my BK's limitations long before I decided to upgrade.  I honeslty have not found the limit on the SVS - bass performasnce is what it is in terms of frequency response - is never going to go the deepest - other subs do that better but it goes pretty deep - however the level of control, transparency and general underpinning of the sound it achieves is honestly phenominal.

I havent found a weakness yet, they will exist but they are not glaring obvious.

If you take a lot of reviews with a pinch of salt, why are you trusting that review who preferred the SVS owing to value for money? You know you're missing out on the low end. Only a demo can tell you how much you're missing out. You have nothing to lose with a 45-day home demo.

I'm sure you have a kickass system, but I also know you yearn for the very best, perfection and accuracy.

Sliced Bread

bretty said:
I'm gonna chuck something something else into the pot. An antimode. I was drawn to your comment that certain bass notes were flabby and that could very well be the room rather than the sub causing it. It seems likely, as the Rels of that era are very good (the storms with movies, especially). The antimode could really sort the flabby bass out for a couple hundred quid.

+1 on the antimode 8033.

My MArx12 is now deeper, smoother and cleaner thanks to one of these beuties.

They're relatively inexpensive, get great reviews and can be returned if you don't like it :)

Definitely worth a demo.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The SVS is accurate as you like - pin point accurate - seriously its incredible in this regard - thats why people love it.

I take most reviews with a pinch of salt nowdays = especially ones where I feel things are missing - i.e good room acoustics in the test room.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Sliced Bread said:
bretty said:

+1 on the antimode 8033.

My MArx12 is now deeper, smoother and cleaner thanks to one of these beuties.

They're relatively inexpensive, get great reviews and can be returned if you don't like it :)

Definitely worth a demo.

Antimodes are good to a certian regard - likely much better than nothing.

There is a product I saw yesterday that would very interesting to a lot of people.

This seems a very good idea from what is already a very good product - this will be a better solution I feel than an antimode

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions everyone ... My priority is music followed by movies 80:20 ratio ... The svs 2000 sounds, from discussions, the most suitable in terms of value for money and performance ...

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
i have its little brother the 1000 sb because im 50 50 music movies,i still marvel at the clean tight punchy bass,and no hint of distortion perfect for music and still brilliant with movies,my only problem now is after rearanging my room i have space for the 2000,anyone want a sub.*biggrin*

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
I've been looking at svs and previous posts about the company ... The svs sb13 ultra has caught my attention ... Unfortunately I can't find a stockist or anyone who sells in the UK ... Any suggestions?

Kubs said:
I've been looking at svs and previous posts about the company ... The svs sb13 ultra has caught my attention ... Unfortunately I can't find a stockist or anyone who sells in the UK ... Any suggestions?

http://www.hifix.co.uk/subwoofers/svs/sb13-ultra.html

David of Frank Harvey Hi Fi is on the forum as well.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Many thanks for your suggestions. Yes - I have read David's (FH) with interest - he's one of the forum members views I value.

Its ashame there aren't any stockists in London .... The sub tips the point at which (£) I can't justify buying on a whim ....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts