Birthday treat! Help!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I was in here a while ago when trying to get a new sound system sorted, but unfortunately "life stuff" happened and so I wasn't in a position to do so until now. Any advice greatly appreciated.

I'm a musician with a very minimal home studio setup - iMac, Apogee Duet Audio Interface (Duet 2 pre-ordered), Shure SM7b Mic, Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm Headphones... My speaker system is most definitely the weak link of this setup. It is an 8-ish year old consumer AIWA Hi-Fi system with built-in subwoofer! Shameful, I know... I've always believed that you get what you pay for, so I decided to just monitor my recordings through headphones until I could afford a decent sound system, and that time is now. It's my birthday at the end of this month and I'm going to indulge, with a budget of around £1000-ish, +/- a couple of hundred...

I've 99% made my mind up on the AVI ADM9Ts. I've read in various places that they can be used as monitors because of their accuracy? I also like the fact that they have ample power (I like loud music!), and have on-board DAC/digital inputs, which will be great as I have a couple of devices with digital outputs (PS3 Slim & WD TV HD Player). My musical tastes lie mainly around alternative & electronic, with some old soul on the side.

One thing that slightly concerns me is the sub - it is so expensive and I don't think I could stretch to almost £2k for the lot. However, I have a theory which I'd like some input on, so bear with me...

Considering the only sound system I've ever used & am used to, is a consumer-level 8 year old AIWA Hi-Fi system with built-in subwoofer - has technology moved forward enough that going straight to the ADM9Ts will still give me decent bass without a sub?!?! I hope this all makes sense... I'm not a basshead - I don't want to see my furniture shaking, etc - I simply like to be able to feel what I'm listening to, you know?

If it helps at all, I managed to find the specs of my Hi-Fi system on some random website, hopefully will give you guys an idea of what kind of sound I'm used to, and what kind of different-listening I'm likely to experience with the ADM9T :

Mainframe CX-NSZ51

FM Section
Frequency Range: 87.5 MHz to 108 MHz
Audible Sensitivity: 13.2 dBf
Antenna Terminals: 75 ohms (unbalanced)

AM Section
Frequency range: 530 kHz to 1710 kHz (10 kHz intervals) 531 kHz to 1602 kHz (9 kHz intervals)
Usable sensitivity: 350 uV / m
Antenna: type picture

Amplifier section
Amplifier for high-frequency average
Output Power: Nominal: 20 W + 20 W (8 ohms, THD 1%, 1 kHz), reference: 25 W + 25 W (8 ohms, 10% THD, 1 kHz)
Total harmonic distortion: 0.1% (30W, 130 Hz, 6 ohms, DIN AUDIO)
Inputs: VIDEO / AUX: 500 mV
Departures: HIG FREQ SPEAKERS: accept speakers of 8 ohms or more; SPEAKERS LOW FREQ: accept speakers of 6 ohms or more; PHONES: accepts headphones of 32 ohms or more

Cassette Deck Section
Track Format: 4 track, 2 channel stereo
Frequency response: 50 Hz to 15,000 Hz
Recording system: AC bias
Heads: Deck 1: Reproductive x 1, 2 deck: record / playback x 1, x 1 eraser

CD player section
Laser: semiconductor laser (780 nm)
D / A converter: 1 bit dual
Signal to Noise Ratio: 85 dB (1 kHz, 0 dB)
Harmonic Distortion: 0.05% (1kHz, 0 dB)

General
Power supply: 120 V/220 - 230 V/240 V AC, switchable, 50/60 Hz
Power consumption: 130 W
Power consumption in standby condition, with power save mode off: 20 W, with power save mode turned on: 0.9 W
Dimensions (W x H x D): 260 x 326 x 345 mm
Weight: 9.0 Kg

Speakers SX-WNSZ50

Type: 3-way built-in subwoofer (magnetic shield)
Speakers: Subwoofer: 160 mm cone type, full range: 100 mm cone type, super tweeter, 20 mm ceramic type
Impedance: 6 ohms / 8 ohms
Sensitivity: 87 dB / W / m
Dimensions (W x H x D): 240 x 324 x 271 mm
Weight: 4.8 Kg

Again, any help greatly appreciated.

A

Anonymous

The Avi's offer lots for nearfield use the bass us fast and accurate, but they do sound even better with the matching sub and for electronic music you may need the sub. They are very musical and the treble is never harsh, and they do do loud enough to feel them even without the sub.
Nick

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if the ADM9's give more/better bass than you have now, even so you could buy them now and save up for the sub if you feel you need it.

Chris

A

Anonymous

Or you could look at the Yamaha HS50M or HS80M which are genuine nearfield monitors, can be combined with a Yamaha sub and cost much less than the AVI equivalents. You probably wouldn't need a sub with the HS80M.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the responses...

Grottyash - the HS80M with the matching sub was definitely something I was considering, especially as it's cheaper when you consider the sub too. However, the thing that is swinging me towards the ADM9T, apart from the higher power it provides, is the fact that I want to be able to enjoy listening to music through speakers, possibly even moreso than wanting an accurate/neutral as possible sound for monitoring...

cheyworth - so you reckon at the least I'll get a decent enough bass compared to the specs of my old hi-fi? I think if I got them I'd definitely start saving gradually for the sub - I just don't want to be left bassless from the get-go, you know?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts