Biggest Potential Upgrade Ever

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

It really depends on how the glass is angled. It may not cause issues at listening position and contribute to the life feel of the room. Beams on one hand can be a positive on the other they can introduce comb filter so it really depends. I'd trust your ears, but sure there's always room for improvement.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
acoustic fields says no glass, real traps say glass measures the same as wood or any other surface but my experiences of a lot of glass has never been positive.

hard to know for sure.

At Munich there is a lot of glass that was mostly covered over in all the rooms fwiw

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
Sure I will, Ellisdj. Infiniteloop what's the height of each room?

Have a look over here this is assuming height of 10ft

Room 17x16x10

https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l=518&w=488&h=305&r60=0.25

Room 19x14x10

https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l=579&w=488&h=305&r60=0.25

19’ x 14’ is a low oak beamed ceiling: 8’

17 x 16 is a glass and oak structure which has an apex of at least 20’.

Sorry for for the delay. Still got no intermess due to BT’s inadequacies.....

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Infinite loop. My experiments with glass and mirrors has been a disaster. Remember I used to mention planning my 2 channel setup in my dining room. Well the speakers stood about 45 cms from the rear wall, which was completely mirrored, and the reflections completely killed the imaging. I played with speaker position a lot, but couldn't even improve central vocals. Everything sounded so blurry.

Next is my HT system where I have the concept 40's next to my huge 65 inch telly. And the reflections from the screen are again making the central image completely muddy.

Just my 2 cents, not to discourage you. But avoiding having glass directly behind the speakers, directly behind the listening position, and at first reflection points if untreated , might be the way to proceed.

insider9

No worries apologies not got round to do it.

Here's the first one again

https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l=579&w=488&h=244&r60=0.25

8ft ceiling is not ideal. One of the most hated acousticians heights.

In regards to the other one, I've no idea how to model it. The apex can have a crazy impact. It would be doable with exact measurements and some programming. I'm sure there's software to do it already but I've never used it.

I can only speculate the reverberation times might just been too high in that room. And glass depending on what angles it is at could have a very negative impact.

It does read like a lovely home :)

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
No worries apologies not got round to do it.

Here's the first one again

https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l=579&w=488&h=244&r60=0.25

8ft ceiling is not ideal. One of the most hated acousticians heights.

In regards to the other one, I've no idea how to model it. The apex can have a crazy impact. It would be doable with exact measurements and some programming. I'm sure there's software to do it already but I've never used it.

I can only speculate the reverberation times might just been too high in that room. And glass depending on what angles it is at could have a very negative impact.

It does read like a lovely home :)

Interesting. The thing is, I’m getting the best sound out of my systems that I’ve ever had in the room with the 8’ ceiling.

It’s a very nice new home. It took us almost a year to move in though - a real rollercoaster ride!

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
My best and most expensive upgrade is my house which is quite large and best of all detached. It means I now have space for a front room more high end system a music room where I have my vintage kit plus my garage where I have an odds and sods cast offs system. I can play any of it at decent volumes without worrying about neighbours which after years in pokey flats and semis is just wonderful. New build too and the acoustics seem ok.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
To my daughter's bedroom today, after reshuffling the furniture. There is loads more room here and less glass. The transformation was night and day. The system sounds really great now. I sat on my daughter's bed grinning ear to ear. And that was with stock power cables and supra cables alone. I can surely expect still better sound adding better cables and room treatment. The room is certainly the biggest upgrade even Ive ever had :)

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
knaithrover said:
My best and most expensive upgrade is my house which is quite large and best of all detached. It means I now have space for a front room more high end system a music room where I have my vintage kit plus my garage where I have an odds and sods cast offs system. I can play any of it at decent volumes without worrying about neighbours which after years in pokey flats and semis is just wonderful. New build too and the acoustics seem ok.

Even though I'd really have to crank the volume to annoy the nearest neighbour (and open all the windows!), I'm finding that I'm listening at lower volumes because the sound doesn't need the volume to sound dynamic and room-filling. All this from just my 24 watt SET Amp.

I'm in San Diego right now on business. Cant wait to get back and experiment a little more with the sound in the larger, glass covered summer room.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
knaithrover said:
my garage where I have an odds and sods cast offs system.
Brilliant! I want one of these now too :)

Great to hear you're blessed with plenty of room for your hifi and great listening environment.

I get a lot of pleasure from my odds n sods kit - currently a Nad C320BEE Marantz CD6001 and MA Silver RX1 along with an old Technics tt sounds great

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
knaithrover said:

Even though I'd really have to crank the volume to annoy the nearest neighbour (and open all the windows!), I'm finding that I'm listening at lower volumes because the sound doesn't need the volume to sound dynamic and room-filling. All this from just my 24 watt SET Amp.

I'm in San Diego right now on business. Cant wait to get back and experiment a little more with the sound in the larger, glass covered summer room.

I'm same don't listen that loud - it's knowing I can if I want that is nice

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts