Biggest Potential Upgrade Ever

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
It took a year, but Mrs Loop and I moved house almost two weeks ago. Once some of the utter chaos had subsided, and having missed my music for days on end, I decided to quickly set up my second system (Chord DAC, Unison Research and Sonus Fabers) in the lounge. Oh my, the sound is glorious. Warm, detailed and dynamic. It also sounds huge to the point where it envelopes you so you just wallow in it. Everything sounds just ‘right’. All that from the relatively small Sonus Fabers.

I had been thinking about new speakers for the new house, but now I’m not so sure. I haven’t heard the Focals in there yet, as there’s still loads to do elsewhere (one of our horses foaled a few nights ago and we have another on the way in a couple of weeks), along with all the unpacking.... but I might get the chance to see how they sound with the Devialet over the weekend before I’m off to the USA on business.

I guess what this is really about is just how important the room is to how a system sounds. I knew there would be a difference, but this is seriously dramatic.

More later.

insider9

Great to hear move is going smoothly. You must've been starved of tunes after this long. Either of your systems is very capable so no surprise there.

I agree 100%! Room is the biggest factor. I've done more work on treatment in mine and the difference is staggering although I still got a few things to do.

iceman16

Infiniteloop said:
It took a year, but Mrs Loop and I moved house almost two weeks ago. Once some of the utter chaos had subsided, and having missed my music for days on end, I decided to quickly set up my second system (Chord DAC, Unison Research and Sonus Fabers) in the lounge. Oh my, the sound is glorious. Warm, detailed and dynamic. It also sounds huge to the point where it envelopes you so you just wallow in it. Everything sounds just ‘right’. All that from the relatively small Sonus Fabers.

I had been thinking about new speakers for the new house, but now I’m not so sure. I haven’t heard the Focals in there yet, as there’s still loads to do elsewhere (one of our horses foaled a few nights ago and we have another on the way in a couple of weeks), along with all the unpacking.... but I might get the chance to see how they sound with the Devialet over the weekend before I’m off to the USA on business.

I guess what this is really about is just how important the room is to how a system sounds. I knew there would be a difference, but this is seriously dramatic.

More later.

Are you looking for standmounts or floorstanders? As my 1028be are now up for sale.

iceman16

insider9 said:
iceman16 said:
insider9 said:
Are these the bargain pair over at PFM?

Yep
Bargain for what looks like new pair. You'd probably do better in a few months.

If they're not too big for my bedroom ht I'll just keep them. As infiniteloop have the smaller brother 1008be I guess he knows how they sound like but with more scale and headroom.

Sorry infiniteloop for hijacking your thread mate. I just thought its worth mentioning them to you as you're familiar with the Focals sound.

insider9

iceman16 said:
insider9 said:
iceman16 said:
insider9 said:
Are these the bargain pair over at PFM?

Yep
Bargain for what looks like new pair. You'd probably do better in a few months.

If they're not too big for my bedroom ht I'll just keep them. As infiniteloop have the smaller brother 1008be I guess he knows how they sound like but with more scale and headroom.

Sorry infiniteloop for hijacking your thread mate. I just thought its worth mentioning them to you as you're familiar with the Focals sound.
Sure they will sell eventually. Everyone's spending money on holidays, etc. now. So fewer people looking.

Sorry, Infiniteloop. It could beneficial to both :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
That's fantastic.

What do you put the changer down to:

- Speakers having more room to breathe

- Decor/Construction of the room

- Room more appropriately sized for the speakers.

FWIW. IMO. No matter how well the Focals sound, the Refs with sound significantly better.....Can you get a home dem? It will be very interesting to get Iceman's feedback.

Also, all being well, I hope to meet up with Mac in Belfast....and if Lyric haven't sold them on, I hope to get him a dem of Linn Klimax DS/Akurate DS -> AMS35i -> Ref 3s. He might then have an appreciation of the difficulty of my decision. *dash1*

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Well I’ve offered them for £2350 which is more than £3000 saving from a b/new pair what more could a buyer ask for!

I’d be interested except that the new lounge is All wood burning stove and oak beams so the aesthetics would be off. I was considering Harbeths like Cno or the KEF Ref 5’s although these may be too big in that space and the Ref 3’s might be better....

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
That's fantastic.

What do you put the changer down to:

- Speakers having more room to breathe

- Decor/Construction of the room

- Room more appropriately sized for the speakers.

FWIW. IMO. No matter how well the Focals sound, the Refs with sound significantly better.....Can you get a home dem? It will be very interesting to get Iceman's feedback.

Also, all being well, I hope to meet up with Mac in Belfast....and if Lyric haven't sold them on, I hope to get him a dem of Linn Klimax DS/Akurate DS -> AMS35i -> Ref 3s. He might then have an appreciation of the difficulty of my decision. *dash1*

its probably a combination of things. The new lounge is less rectangular and has a beamed ceiling. I think this might be breaking up reflections. Anyway, I just can’t stop listening to the point where I might stick with the speakers I’ve got and go for a new TT instead. I’d be interested in a Linn Akurate too but not sure what this would give me as the Devialet works so well in the DAC department.

iceman16

Infiniteloop said:
iceman16 said:
Well I’ve offered them for £2350 which is more than £3000 saving from a b/new pair what more could a buyer ask for!

I’d be interested except that the new lounge is All wood burning stove and oak beams so the aesthetics would be off. I was considering Harbeths like Cno or the KEF Ref 5’s although these may be too big in that space and the Ref 3’s might be better....

The Ref 3 should be better @£8,300

A promising start, Mr Loop! I’ve always been excited to hear my Hi-Fi in a new space, having had my 1998 system in three different homes. Current room is the longest and probably best overall, despite being a new build. I’m afraid I definitely choose a living room on suitablilty for the Hifi as too many spaces are inhibited by radiators or door in the wrong place!

As I think I said a few months ago, I’d not rush to change any kit until you’ve been able to check it all out in the various room and combinations.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Anyway, I just can’t stop listening to the point where I might stick with the speakers I’ve got and go for a new TT instead. I’d be interested in a Linn Akurate too but not sure what this would give me as the Devialet works so well in the DAC department.

Making listening an addictive experience, is what I aasociate with Classic SF......what about some SF Guarneris. *diablo*

I can't comment on ADS vs Devialet DAC, other than I'd be surprised if it gets close...but I simply don't really know.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
My old house had large oak beams across the ceiling and was much larger than my new lounge.

Anyway my point is that my old room with the beams sounded great also.

It's true that the room is the biggest factor in sound quality as my new room sounds awful but I've accepted it.

Can you post pictures of the room?

Also agree that harbeth would suit based in the description.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:
Anyway, I just can’t stop listening to the point where I might stick with the speakers I’ve got and go for a new TT instead. I’d be interested in a Linn Akurate too but not sure what this would give me as the Devialet works so well in the DAC department.

Making listening an addictive experience, is what I aasociate with Classic SF......what about some SF Guarneris. *diablo*

I can't comment on ADS vs Devialet DAC, other than I'd be surprised if it gets close...but I simply don't really know.

Guarneris have been on my radar for some time. Unfortunately I really don’t like the current model. I much prefer the previous Guarneri Evolution. If a mint pair of these come up, I’d be all over them.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Guarneris have been on my radar for some time. Unfortunately I really don’t like the current model. I much prefer the previous Guarneri Evolution. If a mint pair of these come up, I’d be all over them.

I wonder if Acalex managed to sell his? *angel*

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes the house is the most important factor in getting maximum enjoyment from listening to music at home.

The house determines:

1. Maximum listening volume. Neighbour proximity.

2. Background noise levels. Flight path to Heathrow next to the M4 is bad. Middle of nowhere is good.

3. Whether you can have dedicated music room or not. If the music doubles as a dining room, TV room, guest entertainment room this will determine when you can listen to music and the importance of WAF.

4. The size of the listening room. Larger rooms being conducive to a larger variety of speakers.

5. The acoustics of the room.

6. The general quality of the power supply to and within your house.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Yes the house is the most important factor in getting maximum enjoyment from listening to music at home.

The house determines:

1. Maximum listening volume. Neighbour proximity.

2. Background noise levels. Flight path to Heathrow next to the M4 is bad. Middle of nowhere is good.

3. Whether you can have dedicated music room or not. If the music doubles as a dining room, TV room, guest entertainment room this will determine when you can listen to music and the importance of WAF.

4. The size of the listening room. Larger rooms being conducive to a larger variety of speakers.

5. The acoustics of the room.

6. The general quality of the power supply to and within your house.

1. A fair distance to the nearest neighbour.

2. On a private road. Middle of nowhere.

3. 2 rooms available. WAF conducive.

4. 19’ x 14’ and 17’ x 16’.

5. Apparently great acoustics in lounge.

6. Unknown.

Looking forward to experimenting with various combinations of kit in both rooms.

Second room has oak frame open roof - all glass. One side of room is all glass. Granite floor. I know this doesn’t sound promising but there will be two large sofas and rugs in there, which will make a difference.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
19x14 be best I would guess nice width there.

If you have full ownership could make that room sound real good with the right approach

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
ellisdj said:
19x14 be best I would guess nice width there.

If you have full ownership could make that room sound real good with the right approach

I think potentially this room has the most issues: glass roof with oak beams. A granite floor and one whole wall of glass. It is going to have sofas and rugs in there though.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
sofa and rugs won't make much difference you will still likely have flutter echo in there which will hamper any sorts.

The other room is wider which is grand but more square normally not suggested.

Insider I don't have REW installed can you REW sim it and see what he gets??
Thanks

edit that room sounds lovely don't want to ruin it with HiFi man cave the other one :)

insider9

Sure I will, Ellisdj. Infiniteloop what's the height of each room?

Have a look over here this is assuming height of 10ft

Room 17x16x10

https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l=518&w=488&h=305&r60=0.25

Room 19x14x10

https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l=579&w=488&h=305&r60=0.25

insider9

Proportions of the more rectangular room are excellent.

insider9 said:
Sure I will, Ellisdj. Infiniteloop what's the height of each room?

Have a look over here this is assuming height of 10ft

Room 17x16x10

https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l=518&w=488&h=305&r60=0.25

Room 19x14x10

https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l=579&w=488&h=305&r60=0.25

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts