bigger differences with certain brands of loudspeaker ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
I would of thought that with some ATC speakers being sealed box variety would be easier to match rooms then ported speakers. Eg if someone has suspended floor boards, some floorstanding ported speakers may make room acoustics a problem while a sealed design may override the problem. I am not sure if I am right and would welcome information from those who have experience of such situations.

transmission line like pmc not a problem as forward firing. With the ATC scm40a I tried it is more about linear response than being sealed box as the design ethos of the cabinet can achieve similar ends to other designs. Atc design speakers for linearity but that means there is a cost of some treble on most other designs which are slanted in response For the room. Good in studios and those who like a smooth sound. also awesome timbrally. Personally I like a little bit of treble. Not bright but a good edge. You need that for cymbals, electronic. Orbitals attached (snivilisation album) on the ATC’s sounded flat. On my PMC’s awesome. Nick Drake better on atc. Tbh I’d sooner have cheaper new pmc twenty5 23i i tried than scm40a Because they are faster, let you into music and create speed and dynamism which with my tastes is what hifi should do.

D

Deleted member 188516

transmission line like pmc not a problem as forward firing. With the ATC scm40a I tried it is more about linear response than being sealed box as the design ethos of the cabinet can achieve similar ends to other designs. Atc design speakers for linearity but that means there is a cost of some treble on most other designs which are slanted in response For the room. Good in studios and those who like a smooth sound. also awesome timbrally. Personally I like a little bit of treble. Not bright but a good edge. You need that for cymbals, electronic. Orbitals attached (snivilisation album) on the ATC’s sounded flat. On my PMC’s awesome. Nick Drake better on atc. Tbh I’d sooner have cheaper new pmc twenty5 23i i tried than scm40a Because they are faster, let you into music and create speed and dynamism which with my tastes is what hifi should do.

do you think you could get the sound you like as described above from the atc's by using a different source and amplifier combination, or, are the things you like as described (speed, dynamism) only achieved via speaker choice ?

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
do you think you could get the sound you like as described above from the atc's by using a different source and amplifier combination, or, are the things you like as described (speed, dynamism) only achieved via speaker choice ?

the ATC’s are so neutral with a flat frequency response I don’t think it’s possible to change that with an amp / dac / source combination

D

Deleted member 188516

the ATC’s are so neutral with a flat frequency response I don’t think it’s possible to change that with an amp / dac / source combination

so, ultimately, it depends on what influences the sound of a system the most - the signal (source, amplifier plus cables combined) or the loudspeakers ?
(and thats ignoring the room interaction !).

i wonder how much this "signal vs loudspeaker" influence changes, as regards to a systems sound, with the various makes / models of hifi available ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts