Big Fish Fight

How many of you are supporting the cause?

Hugh Fearnley what's his face, Jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsey and others are championing the cause to save the humble cod, haddock.... personally I can't bare proper fish. Love shellfish though.

To me it's like 'Live Aid' for fish. Where's Bob Geldof when you need him the most?

Just watched Gordon Ramsey's 'Shark Bait', and it was pretty horrifying. I'm glad I signed up the other day, but how does one police a ban on shark fins? There have been debates over the years about Whaling and yet all the scientists, and dwindling stocks, can't change tradition... I'm just pleased I eat very little fish...

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:Just watched Gordon Ramsey's 'Shark Bait', and it was pretty horrifying.

I agree, the scene where the hammerhead was finned, while alive, was heartbreaking. It's image is still with me now, 12 hours later. So sad.

Andrew Everard:Totally agree: although not much new info in the series, having it delivered so graphically may well help change tastes, and minds.

So it might - it may sway the Brits, but we're really talking about changing global culture and global methods. What was the most horrifying was when Ramsey played back the footage to restauranters in London's China Town. Non of them, it seems, knew how their shark fins were sourced or the inhumane methods used.

rs6mra:

So come on guys, let us all join in @ www.fishfight.net

Already done a few days ago. Given the urgency to stem depleted fish stocks, was hoping others would at least lend moral support. Seems more people are interested in the type of music downloaded than the future of the eco system of our Oceans.
emotion-42.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:Given the urgency to stem depleted fish stocks, was hoping others would at least lend moral support. Seems more people are interested in the type of music downloaded than the future of the eco system of our Oceans.
emotion-42.gif

OTT reaction, pp: this is, after all a hi-fi/home cinema site.

Andrew Everard:

plastic penguin:Given the urgency to stem depleted fish stocks, was hoping others would at least lend moral support. Seems more people are interested in the type of music downloaded than the future of the eco system of our Oceans.
emotion-42.gif

You're absolutely right, no complaints... maybe I'm naive in thinking a worthwhile subject would get loads of responses.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:You're absolutely right, no complaints... maybe I'm naive in thinking a worthwhile subject would get loads of responses.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
There may be a lack of responses but i for one am supporting the fight and am horrified by the ammount of fish being thrown back into the sea dead but perfectly usable just because EU quotas say they have to! The shark fin programme was shocking and i just hope that the whole fish fight series reaches a large number of our population because there is no way you can watch any part of the series and not be moved to add your support and change your buying habbits, oh and a big thumbs up for Channel 4 for making the series and not pulling any punches
emotion-21.gif

Oldboy:

There may be a lack of responses but i for one am supporting the fight and am horrified by the ammount of fish being thrown back into the sea dead but perfectly usable just because EU quotas say they have to! The shark fin programme was shocking and i just hope that the whole fish fight series reaches a large number of our population because there is no way you can watch any part of the series and not be moved to add your support and change your buying habbits, oh and a big thumbs up for Channel 4 for making the series and not pulling any punches
emotion-21.gif

Until this project started I wasn't aware of the degree fish stocks had dropped. I think this a problem en masse because you can't see any fish until they've been landed. Unlike, of course, if our meat was over-farmed and stocks of lamb, cattle, pigs etc. were becoming endangered, most would be out protesting.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Hopefully at least this series will have made people aware of how much perfectly eatable fish is being wasted daily due to ridiculously-drafted and -implemented EU quotas.

Andrew Everard:Hopefully at least this series will have made people aware of how much perfectly eatable fish is being wasted daily due to ridiculously-drafted and -implemented EU quotas.

Yup, but how do you enforce new rulings when you have millions of sq miles of seas and oceans. Marine biologists say that cod and haddock levels are dramatically lower than 5 or 10 years ago, stocks will not replenish if each trawler is chucking tons of over-fished cod overboard. So many issues for the authorities, and little time to reverse the situation.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
On the plus side, there's a helluva lot of happy seagulls/sea-dwellers with plenty to eat....
emotion-2.gif

But seriously, lord knows what damage we're doing to the wider ecosystem with this bizarre quota system.
emotion-39.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I can foresee a change in EU policy about the fish quotas and already caught, dead fish being thrown back, as anyone, just anyone can see that it's ludicrous and without any merit. Somehow, I don't have the same optimism for a change in shark finning. Even if a ban could be implemented in Britain, or Europe even, it wouldn't make a dent, as i'm sure the amount that is eaten here and in Europe is miniscule, in comparison to what is consumed in Asia. And, as long as the consumption of the soup is deeply entrenched in Asian culture, I can't see a change.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
OK, this wasn't the way I was expecting this thread to go from the title as I hadn't seen the programme. I've not been so disappointed since I tuned in to an episode of Badger Watch - that wasn't what I thought it would be either

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Lee H:OK, this wasn't the way I was expecting this thread to go from the title as I hadn't seen the programme. I've not been so disappointed since I tuned in to an episode of Badger Watch - that wasn't what I thought it would be either
emotion-5.gif

LOL.....
emotion-11.gif
Was so looking forward to badger watch with Kate Humble, oh the disappiontment
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts