Bi-wire speakers with single ports?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
To keep it tidy, you could use somthing like this;

CNCESS CESS-142x4 Banana Plug Splitter 2-in 1-Out (4-Pack)​

Available on Amazon and eBay. Sorry but I can’t post pictures.

Edit;
Found how to add a photo.
Speaker.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: My2Cents and Gray

Gray

I understand the anti- biwiring sentiment.

However, if I had 4 core cable (I have) I would be using all 4 cores (I do).

I can't see the point of using only 2 of the cores and insulating the unused pair....assuming all 4 are there anyway.
What's the harm in halving the resistance?

Reactions: DougK1

gasolin

it was mabye to use them in both ends,holes with the dobble plugs if it's expernsive bi wing you have to use a tool for making

Sometimes the cable can be so thick (it's after al 2x 10 meters), that it might not fit in one hole or bananaplug,binding post that max han take 12 awg thick cable

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Don't you use banana plugs then?
Most of the people here do - I think you'll find.
Both. I currently have cables with cold soldered QED forté Bananas on the end (factory installed). Very slim and neat looking.
I have used cables directly screwed down to the terminal posts but many amp. terminals don't allow for that option.
I like terminals that have the posts with holes drilled through... neatly push the cable through the hole and clamp down with the screw. I also like the idea of spades crimped carefully and tightly around the cable... they work well on car batteries when the starter is pulling 300 amps.
I think many banana plugs don't really provide for a good contact and screwing the cable into the plug creates resistance. The cheap ones have plastic covers that also expose the cable to the atmosphere.
I'm not an electron... but if I were, I'd like a nice straight, unimpeded path to my destination.
Also, during serious listening sessions, I sometimes wear one of these... I swear it improves the overall 'air' of the system.

Attachments

• Foil Hat.png
    Foil Hat.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
Reactions: Gray

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
I understand the anti- biwiring sentiment.

However, if I had 4 core cable (I have) I would be using all 4 cores (I do).

I can't see the point of using only 2 of the cores and insulating the unused pair....assuming all 4 are there anyway.
What's the harm in halving the resistance?
If it lowers the resistance (thicker wire for longer runs)? then I guess that makes sense.
I'm thinking of all that bulky cable being wrapped around the skirting board... I'd be re arranging my living space to fit my system! Rip out the fireplace and make the hi-fi the centerpiece, isn't that what God intended? LOL
Or perhaps 'in wall' wiring with speaker terminal plates on the wall.

Last edited:

nosiesta

Jul 13, 2024
Visit site
If it lowers the resistance (thicker wire for longer runs)? then I guess that makes sense.
I'm thinking of all that bulky cable being wrapped around the skirting board... I'd be re arranging my living space to fit my system! Rip out the fireplace and make the hi-fi the centerpiece, isn't that what God intended? LOL
Or perhaps 'in wall' wiring with speaker terminal plates on the wall.
I'd love to do that, but sadly I live in a rented house and need to make the best of the situation that I have. I appreciate that I can't have perfection, but I CAN have something that sounds decent and I enjoy.

Reactions: DougK1

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Haha, no chance. This is 2 x 10m lengths of QED cable + decent plugs which cost a good £200+. Worst case, I'll use 2 strands for each speaker & tape the rest up, but I'd rather take advantage of the whole lot.
This is properly your best course of action rather than start chopping the cable up then you'll still have it for future use..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts