Bi/Di Pole or Direct Radiating in 5.1

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

piobob:
maxflinn:gonna hang these babies tmw , my dealer says they should be at ear level , but ive seen a few posts saying they should be higher , does anyone have any views on this ?? cheers ....

B/4 I fitted mine I rang MA tech and they advised approx 2ft above ear level on side walls.

oh ta piobob , thats just what i wanted to hear
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Prime Cuts:
Hey Max,

Where are you new FX positioned in relation to the listener?

well , in my normal couch tato position (not in the karma sutra) , my head is around 700mm from the back wall , its a squarish shaped room so i guess that helps , anyways , ive got them up , 2ft above ear level , 700mm from the wall , which as i say is level with my head , and thats where theyre staying
emotion-16.gif

A

Anonymous

uh oh , i could be getting the polifiller out , these sounded much better at ear level ......

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:uh oh , i could be getting the polifiller out , these sounded much better at ear level ......

Better? Because they're at ear level, they may sound more lively because they're throwing sound directly at you. Higher up, they tend to give the soundstage some height, which is blatantly noticable with front to rear panning effects and ambience.

Surround speakers shouldn't draw attention to themselves really, even when they going all out. I find they do this better above ear level rather than at.

emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

daveh75:Didn't you have BR1's as surrounds max?
yes daveh , but the dealer kindly took them back and gave me the brfxs , i had to pay a bit more but i got a good deal ...
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:
maxflinn:uh oh , i could be getting the polifiller out , these sounded much better at ear level ......

Better? Because they're at ear level, they may sound more lively because they're throwing sound directly at you. Higher up, they tend to give the soundstage some height, which is blatantly noticable with front to rear panning effects and ambience.

Surround speakers shouldn't draw attention to themselves really, even when they going all out. I find they do this better above ear level rather than at.

emotion-1.gif

david , i understand that i should have them set to bipole in a 5.1 setup , is that what you would suggest ?? , ive tried dipole and they sound similar , as regards the height , ill leave them where they are , 2ft above my ears , for a few days and see how i get on ..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts