Bi-amping

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Ok. Not that I have any intention of upgrading in the near future, I was wondering that if and when I did get the upgraditis bug again, I could biamp my speakers.

Now I understand the concept, but would adding a power amp to my setup help...

My Lyngdorf SDAI 2715 pumps out 200/375 amps into 8/4 ohms, and essentially is far more power than the speakers (Dali Ikon 6) themselves need. I guess the word is 'effortless'

So would it help adding an SDA2715 power amp, and biamping? or is it pointless?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
fr0g:Ok. Not that I have any intention of upgrading in the near future, I was wondering that if and when I did get the upgraditis bug again, I could biamp my speakers.

My Lyngdorf SDAI 2715 pumps out 200/375 amps into 8/4 ohms, and essentially is far more power than the speakers (Dali Ikon 6) themselves need. I guess the word is 'effortless'

From what I understand the improvements are to separate the jobs of your integrated amp. If you add a power amp it can then concentrate on doing just the processing and the power amp will do the rest. I might be wrong but that's how I understood things.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:fr0g:Ok. Not that I have any intention of upgrading in the near future, I was wondering that if and when I did get the upgraditis bug again, I could biamp my speakers.

From what I understand the improvements are to separate the jobs of your integrated amp. If you add a power amp it can then concentrate on doing just the processing and the power amp will do the rest. I might be wrong but that's how I understood things.

I understand that, but the intedrated I have has more than enough power to drive both. I am guessing it will make little difference in this case, but I was interested anyway (just in case a cheap power amp comes up)

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I have a Roksan Kandy L111 Amp and Power Amp which is just the mark 111 - i use the integrated for the high frequencies and the power amp for the low frequencies, this keeping the high and low frequencies completely seperate. I think the whole package just sounds more open, rounded and refined than the amp on its own. Its not twice as good but is better.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
matengawhat:I have a Roksan Kandy L111 Amp and Power Amp which is just the mark 111 - i use the integrated for the high frequencies and the power amp for the low frequencies, this keeping the high and low frequencies completely seperate. I think the whole package just sounds more open, rounded and refined than the amp on its own. Its not twice as good but is better.

...Again it is the power I wonder about. The Kandy is 175W into 4 ohms, the Lyngdorf is 375. My thought is that if the speakers are not stressing the amp in any way, then is it at all beneficial to add another?

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails: From what I understand the improvements are to separate the jobs of your integrated amp. If you add a power amp it can then concentrate on doing just the processing and the power amp will do the rest. I might be wrong but that's how I understood things.

This wouldnt occur in Bi-amping as both amps would be using their power outputs, so it wouldnt be a pure pre and power combo. You would have the first integrated amp doing the pre-amplification' and also powering a driver (probably the tweeters) on both speakers. The second amp would be pure power, taking the pre-feed from the first amp and powering the other drivers (ie the woofers).

A

Anonymous

fr0g:...Again it is the power I wonder about. The Kandy is 175W into 4 ohms, the Lyngdorf is 375. My thought is that if the speakers are not stressing the amp in any way, then is it at all beneficial to add another?

You would probably get an even further improved 'grip' on the low end. I have Bryston power amplification that delivers 500w into my Dyn's and they still lap it up (although they're seriously power hungry). If the Dali's really thrive on power, you'll certainly notice some improvements. Definitely worth checking out

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
thfcwestlower:
fr0g:...Again it is the power I wonder about. The Kandy is 175W into 4 ohms, the Lyngdorf is 375. My thought is that if the speakers are not stressing the amp in any way, then is it at all beneficial to add another?

You would probably get an even further improved 'grip' on the low end. I have Bryston power amplification that delivers 500w into my Dyn's and they still lap it up (although they're seriously power hungry). If the Dali's really thrive on power, you'll certainly notice some improvements. Definitely worth checking out

Ok ;) I'll keep an eye on ebay :)

(Although I think my next upgrade (when I get the cash) will more likely be speakers.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:It will benefit the sound, more detail, better soundstage and more resolution.

With lower power amps I am sure (in fact I tried it briefly)... The A85 is fairly modestly powered, and the Dalis can take quite a bit more. The Lyngdorf can supply all the power they need and more, which is the reason for the query... ;)

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:I don't think it's a question of outright power, I think it's just separating the signals which is of the most benefit.

I'd disagree with this statement. Ive experiemented in the past with changing between Bi-amping with one amp driving the HF and another driving the LF against each amp driving each seperate channel. best results depend on each set-up and speaker combo, but there is little difference imo.

The main benefit is supplying raw watts to each driver so that when impeadance drops in the speaker, the amp steps up to the plate and provides the current it needs. At normal listening levels most amps only need to provide a watt or two but with all music material there will be swings and to prevent clipping or distortion, current is required. The availablility of such supply is what I feel gives me a much better grip and dynamic qualities to my current system.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I will always bi-amp when i get the chance.

After having a number of systems where i have just had the integrated; i can now see and hear the benefits.

As ive said in previous posts; the power amp addition doesnt make it louder; it just adds more refinement :)

TRENDING THREADS