bi amping with two different brands of cable

plasterman

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
My current amp is an Audiolab 8200p which is single wired to B&W 685 with chord roumor 2. I have a Rotel ra 12 in another system with Qed silver anniversary xt biwire. Question is will it make much if any impact on the over all effects of bi amping. It's a bit of an experiment really as I'm happy wirh my main system as it is.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Can't see an issue, although if the resistances differ then you may get some imbalances. But as the amps are from different manufacturers, I would think it unlikely that they would be gain-matched anyway- i.e. different input/output levels.

By all means give it a go- you won't break anything- but don't get your hopes up too far! On the other hand, you may get lucky. Worth a try at least...

Personally I can't see that system working at all. I presume you are talking about using the Rotel integrated to drive the tweeters and Audiolab the woofers or vice versa?

If that's what you are going to try then I wouldn't worry at all about what you are connecting them with.

For what it's worth I have never had any joy trying to bi-amp apart from when using 2 power amps, from the same manufacturer, and employing a pre amp.

Feel free to experiment however....... it's good for the soul if not the bank account. :grin:

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
Personally I can't see that system working at all. I presume you are talking about using the Rotel integrated to drive the tweeters and Audiolab the woofers or vice versa?

If that's what you are going to try then I wouldn't worry at all about what you are connecting them with.

For what it's worth I have never had any joy trying to bi-amp apart from when using 2 power amps, from the same manufacturer, and employing a pre amp.

Feel free to experiment however....... it's good for the soul if not the bank account. :grin:

I agree. Generally with bi-amping it should be two matching amps. Not two differing brands with differing outputs. Try it out by all means, but don't be surprised if it sounds like a mess.

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:

I agree. Generally with bi-amping it should be two matching amps. Not two differing brands with differing outputs. Try it out by all means, but don't be surprised if it sounds like a mess.

plasterman said:
My current amp is an Audiolab 8200p which is single wired to B&W 685 with chord roumor 2. I have a Rotel ra 12 in another system with Qed silver anniversary xt biwire. Question is will it make much if any impact on the over all effects of bi amping. It's a bit of an experiment really as I'm happy wirh my main system as it is.

Hi plasterman

What pre amp are you using with the 8200P please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

plasterman

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
plasterman said:

Hi plasterman

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

An Audiolab M-Dac.

plasterman said:
MUSICRAFT said:
plasterman said:

Hi plasterman

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

An Audiolab M-Dac.

Hi plasterman

Thanks for your reply.

If you were thinking of using RA-12 with the 8200P to bi amply the 685's then i really would not recommend this. The RA-12 and 8200P are unlikely to be gain matched and their different presentations will also lead to a tonal imbalance.

To keep things on an even keel try bi amping the 685's with another 8200P and in the meantime stick to using the superior M-DAC/8200P combination.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

plasterman

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
plasterman said:
MUSICRAFT said:
plasterman said:

Hi plasterman

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

An Audiolab M-Dac.

Hi plasterman

Thanks for your reply.

If you were thinking of using RA-12 with the 8200P to bi amply the 685's then i really would not recommend this. The RA-12 and 8200P are unlikely to be gain matched and their different presentations will also lead to a tonal imbalance.

To keep things on an even keel try bi amping the 685's with another 8200P and in the meantime stick to using the superior M-DAC/8200P combination.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks for all the replies.

Rick, thats the route I'm most likely heading to bi-amping with another 8200p. Just thought that trying the rotel/audiolab combination might give me an idea if it was worth it or not. From what you've said it sounds like the differences between the amps wouldn't give me a helpful indication at all. Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS