Question Beyond Muso2 and Sonos Play1?

JoeSoap

Dec 1, 2019
Visit site
Looking for suggestions please. Presently listening (mostly 60's and 70's folk and rock) on a Naim Muso2 and a pair of Sonos Play1 speakers. I like both of the systems for their convenience. I like the sound of the Muso2 but to my (not young, 67 year old) ears the music never really leaves the box and that's disappointing. I like live music very much and the reproduction from the Muso2 just doesn't cut it. I think I can do better. I don't have a huge budget but it's flexible-ish. Listening room is 3m x 3m so I don't need massive amounts of power through large speakers. Quite the opposite really. If I could buy new Linn Kan speakers, they'd be ideal for me on stands. Open to suggestions. Currently I'm thinking a Naim Uniti Atom fits the bill at the front end, but no idea at all really about modern small speakers. My only interest is streaming, so not looking for anything beyond the Atom and a pair of small but lively speakers. Ideally the budget is around £2500 to 2600. Thanks for the interest.

Reactions: Kenneth Fernandes

Fandango Andy

Looking for suggestions please. Presently listening (mostly 60's and 70's folk and rock) on a Naim Muso2 and a pair of Sonos Play1 speakers. I like both of the systems for their convenience. I like the sound of the Muso2 but to my (not young, 67 year old) ears the music never really leaves the box and that's disappointing. I like live music very much and the reproduction from the Muso2 just doesn't cut it. I think I can do better. I don't have a huge budget but it's flexible-ish. Listening room is 3m x 3m so I don't need massive amounts of power through large speakers. Quite the opposite really. If I could buy new Linn Kan speakers, they'd be ideal for me on stands. Open to suggestions. Currently I'm thinking a Naim Uniti Atom fits the bill at the front end, but no idea at all really about modern small speakers. My only interest is streaming, so not looking for anything beyond the Atom and a pair of small but lively speakers. Ideally the budget is around £2500 to 2600. Thanks for the interest.

Top of the budget, but would fit the bill both for size, and your intended use: Harbeth Monitor P3ESR, or for around £1,000 less Spendor A1.

JoeSoap

Dec 1, 2019
Visit site
Top of the budget, but would fit the bill both for size, and your intended use: Harbeth Monitor P3ESR, or for around £1,000 less Spendor A1.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The stated budget is to buy the Uniti Atom and the speakers. I think the Uniti Atom is about £2200 so I'm ideally looking around the ~£300 mark for speakers. Give or take. Thanks.

Amormusic

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
A couple of comments from me as I also have a Muso. Whilst the Naim Uniti Atom is great, to really jump ahead of the Muso I think you will need to spend a little more on the speakers.

If size is the main attraction (as I know Kans are quite small) then you couldn't go wrong with a pair of Alchris Booki speakers. I heard these at the hifi show today and they are absolutely tiny. Really really small. Yet the sound they put out is just ridiculous. A wall of sound. Full fleshed out bass too. I thought the person had the big speakers on at first as they are nothing short of astonishing for the size of them. They were so good I'm tempted to get a pair myself.

Reactions: DougK1 and JoeSoap

JoeSoap

Dec 1, 2019
Visit site
A couple of comments from me as I also have a Muso. Whilst the Naim Uniti Atom is great, to really jump ahead of the Muso I think you will need to spend a little more on the speakers.

If size is the main attraction (as I know Kans are quite small) then you couldn't go wrong with a pair of Alchris Booki speakers. I heard these at the hifi show today and they are absolutely tiny. Really really small. Yet the sound they put out is just ridiculous. A wall of sound. Full fleshed out bass too. I thought the person had the big speakers on at first as they are nothing short of astonishing for the size of them. They were so good I'm tempted to get a pair myself.

Thanks very much. As a Muso listener, do you feel the same way I do? That the sound is fine but there is no soundstage at all from the Muso? The sound never seems to leave the box. On the other hand, my Sonos Play1 pair present a very convincing 3d sound stage. But not as good a sound overall as the Muso.

Unsurprisingly, given my complete lack of knowledge regarding modern loudspeakers, I've never heard of those. But I will take a look at them and try to hear them for myself.

Edited to say - Took a look at the link above. Yes, they look a similar size to the old Linn Kan speakers. Ideal really apart from the price. There used to be lots of speakers based on the BBC LS3/5A monitor, the Kan amongst them. Perhaps though that's a design that has now fallen by the wayside in the intervening 40 odd years.

Last edited:

Amormusic

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
There are still LS3/5A speakers being produced now, and ones that share the lineage - my Graham Audio LS6f follow similar design priciples. For actual LS3/5A Stirling are exceptional value at the moment as they are closing. But they are even more than the Booki speakers I posted the link for.

To give you an idea of the size of the Booki, they are tiny. Just 9 inches in height. But they have a passive bass radiator on the back and are designed to be almost directly next to the wall on stands as they need bass reinforcement. But there was no clue at all in the room that I was listening to tiny little speakers. Absolutely fantastic little things. I loved them!

These would definitely be worth adding to your "must listen" list.
Thanks very much. Unsurprisingly, given my complete lack of knowledge regarding modern loudspeakers, I've never heard of those. But I will take a look at them and try to hear them for myself.

Edited to say - Took a look at the link above. Yes, they look a similar size to the old Linn Kan speakers. Ideal really apart from the price. There used to be lots of speakers based on the BBC LS3/5A monitor, the Kan amongst them. Perhaps though that's a design that has now fallen by the wayside in the intervening 40 odd years.

Reactions: JoeSoap

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts