Best wireless headphones to watch TV

baldeagle

Sep 11, 2020
Visit site
My wife is VERY hard of hearing and needs to use headphones to watch TV. If she doesn't, I need to leave the room (or even the house) so the volume doesn't blow out my eardrums. She needs a pair that does a good job with voices. She has a really tough time understanding what is being said.

I have a new LG 55NANO85UNA smart TV that it would be paired to.

Does anyone have some recommendations for me?

Thanks in advance. :)

doifeellucky

The AKG N60NC Wireless are pretty good, especially at the current price. WHF reviewed them a few years ago, they also got an award last year. They're on ear but have very thick pads and I find them to be very comfortable. I'd certainly buy another pair.

Be warned that I've seen some price comparison links direct to the older non wireless version.

Reactions: AVDude

AVDude

Oct 17, 2020
Visit site
Be aware that you may need an intermediary device for pairing, wireless functionality in home audio is far from reaching any kind of standardized approach.
My own choice would likely be BeyerDynamics wireless set. They claim about 48h of use, its the Lagoon series they have ANC built in.
The corded BD's i've used were almost reference quality (IMO) but not crazy expensive, DT770-DT990 series.

Roger_A

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Rather than looking at headphones wouldn't it be better, if your wife is that hard of hearing, for her to visit an audiologist and get effective hearing aids which would benefit her (and anyone trying to communicate with her) far more than headphones? In fact, if using headphones, and probably with a headphone amplifier, you would have to have them very loud and could cause worse damage to her hearing.

AVDude

Oct 17, 2020
Visit site
Rather than looking at headphones wouldn't it be better, if your wife is that hard of hearing, for her to visit an audiologist and get effective hearing aids which would benefit her (and anyone trying to communicate with her) far more than headphones? In fact, if using headphones, and probably with a headphone amplifier, you would have to have them very loud and could cause worse damage to her hearing.
Good point, some of the newer hearing devices can pair wirelessly with phones or TV.

Reactions: doifeellucky

doifeellucky

My partner recently upgraded her hearing aids, and the improvement was significant. They can be connected to her phone, though I don't think she's tried it yet. She's not been able to get back for her first checkup and fine tuning due to Covid. Cost about 2k for a pair. Gets through far more batteries too.

Last edited:

aussie43

Nov 21, 2020
Visit site
I have been using headphones for watching TV for at least a decade.
My first set was an Infra Red Sony, then a couple of different models of Sony RF system.
I have also tried Bluetooth headphones, but gave them away, never to use again.
TV's don't have Bluetooth for audio, you need a Bluetooth transmitter. Pairing and turning on and off is fiddly. So is charging of the headphones.

Dedicated TV headphones are best. No latency, turn on and off automatically or with a simple switch, charging automatically when you put them on the dedicated stand. Some models have a switch to select speech, music etc. Some models can be adjusted with a frequency equaliser from an app on mobile phone.

AVDude

Oct 17, 2020
Visit site
I have been using headphones for watching TV for at least a decade.
My first set was an Infra Red Sony, then a couple of different models of Sony RF system.
I have also tried Bluetooth headphones, but gave them away, never to use again.
TV's don't have Bluetooth for audio, you need a Bluetooth transmitter. Pairing and turning on and off is fiddly. So is charging of the headphones.

Dedicated TV headphones are best. No latency, turn on and off automatically or with a simple switch, charging automatically when you put them on the dedicated stand. Some models have a switch to select speech, music etc. Some models can be adjusted with a frequency equaliser from an app on mobile phone.
Schitt Audio headphone amp, for 100 bucks it provides a wired pre-amp that you can run a cable back to the TV or home theatre system to.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts