Best way to upgrade this system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a budget system that I have been very happy with for a few years. It comprises a Cambridge Azur 340A SE amplifier, an Azur 340C CD player, Pure i20 transport, Pro-Ject Debut III turntable, Mordaunt Short Avant 902i speakers and Cambridge Audio interconnects (AUD 500).

I am moving to a bigger place and was wondering what you thought would be the best component/s to upgrade as I have a max of £600 to spend.

I play mainly vinyl and lossless digital through the system with the occasional CD... I listen to a whole range of stuff from extreme metal to lofi indie, jazz and classic rock so it has to be pretty versatile.

Cheers,

Owen

A

Anonymous

bizarre you should ask - i have just upgraded my system (see below)

however i have got to wait for my speakers on order, so i decided to link my new turntable to my old amp and not set up the rest till the speakers arrive. my old amp is a cambridge azur 340A (with gale gold monitor speakers) and i was using a NAD533 turntable.

when i put my new rega rp3 through the azur, the difference was amazing - phenomenally better - made the whole system sound new - i not very experienced in hifi but i was def recommend this as an obvious sounding upgrade

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i am guessing that you feel happy on the whole with your set-up and just want to freshen it up so i would try these upgrades

sell you amp and add £200 and try and get 640 or 650 amp. ( having to listen to volume slighly higher in your new place the controll you will gain will be worth the swap.

add £80 an ortofon 2mred cart to your deck i swapped the factory cart on my genie2 and it was the best upgrade i have made for value.

£30 on a tacima cs929 lead

£45 on 3 new bits of vinyl

£40 fill your boots on a load of cds from amazon there is loads of £3-£5 albums that will keep you happy.

if you have not by now £120 get some nice stands for you speakers.

£250 on a top hifi stand that has the looks to show off and will be a joy to show off you kit.

and if any left a nice thick sexy rug

just a few ideas how to spend your hard earned cash

A

Anonymous

Great ideas guys, thanks. :)

I am really interested in the cartridge upgrade. Never done it before. Are they a nightmare to fit? Sounds like the kind of thing I would mess up!

Owen

trobot23 said:
Great ideas guys, thanks. :)

I am really interested in the cartridge upgrade. Never done it before. Are they a nightmare to fit? Sounds like the kind of thing I would mess up!

Owen

From above I would agree cartridge upgrade is the best option. Come to that sell your current turntable and upgrade to the latest Rega RP3 is the obvious way to go, making sure it has a dealer-fitted Rega Elys cartridge. You should notice a significant change in sound quality on the vinyl front.

I'd probably go for the better TT too.

But first of all, I'd say wait until you get it all set up in your new place. You will be surprised how different everything sounds in another room. Plus you will be reconnecting everything, which gives you a chance to check all the connections, levelling and so on.

You can never go far wrong with a better source though, especially as you love vinyl.

trobot23 said:

Owen, there is a good guide here, or the dealer will do it for you:-

http://www.henleydesigns.co.uk/assets/_managed/cms/files/Cartridgefittingnew.pdf

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts