Best way to clean your styli?

nads

After a bit of use today on new and cleaned LPs the audio quality just went.
could not work out why until I had a look.

so what is the best way? I used a soft artists paint brush.

Xq5ydld.jpg

That Ortofon Rondo Red has been well used :)
The safest way, but perhaps a little costly is to use a gel pad that you lower the stylus into, one of the cheapest is to use a carbon fibre brush and carefully sweep from back to front.
To get surface dust off the cartridge I find compressed air aerosol canister handy.

Onzow Zero Dust Stylus Cleaner: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments & DJ
Pro-Ject Audio Systems Clean-IT, Carbon Fibre Stylus Brush, Original product : Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
EPISENT | Air Duster | Pack of 3 | with Extension Tube | 200ml | Air Duster Spray | Compresses Gas Flammable | to Clean Electronic Equipment & Difficult to Reach Areas : Amazon.co.uk: Grocery

Reactions: nopiano

nads

Gel pad had been used already. And made no difference as the crud was not on the diamond but the cantilever.

been eyeing up some upgrades yesterday. Ortophon do an exchange system which I may take up.

Reactions: Al ears
A soft artists brush is too weak, unless trimmed down. Stylus brushes are short and bristly.
As long as the diamond is clean I’d not worry about the dust, as the cantilever won’t be affected. And unless you’re very careful, more harm than good can arise from cleaning attempts!
I still like isopropyl alcohol for cleaning, though it’s less fashionable. Probably because it’s cheap. The classic Audio Technica bottle and brush is still good value and should last years.

Gel pad had been used already. And made no difference as the crud was not on the diamond but the cantilever.

been eyeing up some upgrades yesterday. Ortophon do an exchange system which I may take up.
One compressed air aerosol coming right up.... :)

What would you be looking at to replace it?
Note that a lot of crud on the cantilever makes me wonder how you are actually cleaning your LPs prior to playing?

nads

This was after 4-5 brand new LPs. Carbon brushed. Then damp padded with the AT6012. Which has been fine. Do have an OKKI NOKKI for others. But I don’t think that would have pulled this crud out of the grooves.

This was after 4-5 brand new LPs. Carbon brushed. Then damp padded with the AT6012. Which has been fine. Do have an OKKI NOKKI for others. But I don’t think that would have pulled this crud out of the grooves.
Odd, I don't think I have ever seen a cartridge in that state after so little playing, certainly when they are new and cleaned LP's.

RCM record cleaning machine , remove dirt at source
pointless buying records without cleaning them 1st
new & used records should be cleaned before playing , sound better , longer stylus lifespan , reduce static , pops etc
But he has cleaned them, with brush and /or Okki Nokki (which is a RCM) so don't really see point of your post.
Yes it is good advice but irrelevant in this case. However, possibly not as I have never managed to get my cartridge looking like that even without a RCM. :)
Purchase of an expensive record cleaning device would depend upon the size and condition of your record collection surely?

nads

I think it was the green Taylor Swift album. There is excessive surface noise On the tracks that oddly vanishes on the runout track.

just thinking back to when I first started buying and playing these strange round things this is the FIRST time I have seen this much crud on my stylus.

hence the question As it is a new thing To me.

£16 for a can of air might be better than running hose from my compressor or using some brake cleaner…… I do have some Isopropanol (sp) but….

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
I've found that a lens brush, which is soft, applied between cantilever at its base, and cartridge body, then using a twisting motion, brush the detritus away. Some downward pressure allied towards the cartridge body helps.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Ouch......,
I would loathe to do that with my cartridges
As I have a Nagaoka cartridge, Al, I remove the stylus, and have plenty of access to gently apply the lens brush to the base of the cantilever, to remove dust from the body without actually touching the cantilever, and thus well away from the stylus. I have used this method a few times, with no damage.
But would agree, cartridges with fixed cantilever in a fixed head arm are another thing entirely.

Friesiansam

The classic Audio Technica bottle and brush is still good value and should last years.
That's £1300 per litre! Isopropanol can be had for less than a fiver per litre on Amazon and, useful for much more than just stylus cleaning.

EDIT: From an Audio Technica pdf, "Ingredients: Water, Ethanol, Isopropyl alcohol, alcohol propyl-n. "
So basically, water and alcohol.

Last edited:
That's £1300 per litre! Isopropanol can be had for less than a fiver per litre on Amazon and, useful for much more than just stylus cleaning.

EDIT: From an Audio Technica pdf, "Ingredients: Water, Ethanol, Isopropyl alcohol, alcohol propyl-n. "
So basically, water and alcohol.
Yes, it’s an expensive way to buy the raw ingredients, but the ‘added value’ is the included brush, the handy-sized bottle, and the reassurance that it’s come from one of the leading cartridge manufacturers. And it’s much cheaper than pot of goo that needs careful handling to avoid wrecking your stylus.

I expect printer ink is even costlier! :)

Reactions: bumpymark

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts