Best virtual systems - up to about 5,000£

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
If you were buying / recommending to frinds, what system would you build at the budget and why? Nominations and rationale, please.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
If looking for accurate neutral sound with good bass, high dynamic range and low distortion:

Squeezebox touch or mac mini

Avi adm 40 or adam audio artist 6

Alternative: adm9trs+ sub

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
This one is a bit tricky because I'd want to hear the ADM40's before spending £5K. :?

Mac mini source with something like this Teac DAC/pre used with some Quested V3110 active speakers. They're as ugly as sin (the speakers I mean not the girls) but they sound as good as anything else I've ever heard.

Teac.jpg

Quested.jpg

EDIT - SB Touch swapped for Teac DAC/pre amp.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
This one is a bit tricky because I'd want to hear the ADM40's before spending £5K. :?

Mac mini source with something like this Teac DAC/pre used with some Quested V3110 active speakers. They're as ugly as sin (the speakers I mean not the girls) but they sound as good as anything else I've ever heard.

Teac.jpg

Quested.jpg

well, I've heard these Quested speakers...... and they absolutly :rockout:

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Simple setup off the top of my head....

ATC SCM50ASL (S/H) or SCM20 AT (S/H if you can find them)

ATC CA2 Pre (Original, S/H)

Whichever CDP takes your fancy, or Streamer/DAC.

But at that money, there is a lot of exotica avaliable that could include nice big efficient speakers, nice SET and plenty of TT's. Far too much choice!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
:cry: :cry:
steve_1979 said:

Teac.jpg

Quested.jpg

I just place an order online, and this set is temporarily Sold out ... :roll:

:cry:

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
Will they work with sbt? Do they have sensitivity adjustment? I mean the speakers, not the girls, too.

You're probably right. I've edited my post to include a Teac DAC/pre instead of the SB Touch.

The girls are bound to be too sensitive aswell but there's nothing that can be done about that though (sorry Clare, just kidding) :grin:

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
moon said:
well, I've heard these Quested speakers...... and they absolutly :rockout:

With 1000 watts per speaker they certainly can :rockout:

What makes them special is how crystal clear they sound at any volume. Tight deep bass, outstanding imaging, they're damn near perfect all round IMO. They're just as good (better maybe?) as the big ATC's and PMC's but for only half the price.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts