Best Vietnam Film ever?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
ID.:I enjoyed Apocalypse Now, but I'm not sure how much that was influenced by having read and enjoyed Heart of Darkness before I ever saw it.

I enjoyed it too, and I am sure it had a lot to do with the thundering great PA stacks they installed front and back in the cinema where I saw it the week it opened in the UK!

Cool! Was that especially for the film?

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
JamesOK:Cool! Was that especially for the film?

Yup. That river music has never sounded finer.

Excellent. I bet the Doors at the start, and the ride of the valkyries/helicopter scene was pretty good too.
emotion-1.gif

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Indeed. Never bettered, but the thing I remember most was the drumming and strange musical sounds all around in the more atmospheric sections.

Yep, can imagine - when they get up the river and find Kurtz's house (?) it all gets very atmospheric, and pretty hard to watch in my opinion.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
For me, definitely Apocalypse Now. Full Metal Jacket and Platoon are great also but not in the same league IMHO. The opening sequence along still gives me a shiver!

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
audioaffair:For me, definitely Apocalypse Now. Full Metal Jacket and Platoon are great also but not in the same league IMHO. The opening sequence along still gives me a shiver!

Me too - the Doors "This is the end, dum dum dum, beautiful friend.... the end" over the scenes of napalm burning trees sets you up for the rest of the film.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
ID.:I enjoyed Apocalypse Now, but I'm not sure how much that was influenced by having read and enjoyed Heart of Darkness before I ever saw it.

I enjoyed it too, and I am sure it had a lot to do with the thundering great PA stacks they installed front and back in the cinema where I saw it the week it opened in the UK!

Nice
emotion-21.gif

It was a strictly video experience for me until redux hit the cinemas

jarra

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Best Vietnam war movie ever..............The Odd Angry Shot. The Australian view on the war and very true to life as the Oz tactics were the same as the British tactics from a military point of view.

Its the story of the Oz SAS in Nam.......check it out

TRENDING THREADS