Best Vietnam Film ever?

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Downloaded Battlefiled Vietnam for my PS3 in December and started to think about the 80's Vietnam War film releases.

After not seeing for over 10 years i decided to watch Full Metal Jacket on tv.

WOW! Absolutely brilliant! Can't remember it being so great but stunning from start to finish. Just about remember watching Apocalypse Now and not understanding why it is apparently the best, especially the mad ending.

Any others i should watch?

Thanks,

Cookie Monster

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
I immediately thought of the two you mention (Apocalypse now (although that was 70's) and Full Metal Jacket. I think Full Metal Jacket probably is the winner for me. Absolutely gripping. Leaves you with a real bad feeling, which is exactly what it was supposed to do.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
oooh, flashback
emotion-3.gif
- many years ago wrote a university essay on Vietnam war films, and what they tell you about American history (and even more importantly America's evolving attitude towards its own history).

One thing I can tell you (with the benefit of having studied the period) is that the John Wayne film The Green Berets - made when America just assumed it would walk the conflict - isn't the most accurate
emotion-5.gif

Apocalyse Now - Redux is aweome IMO, and oddly enough, Good Morning Vietnam stands up strangely well.

Full Metal Jacket and We Were Soldiers also stand out.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
oooh, flashback
emotion-3.gif
- many years ago wrote a university essay on Vietnam war films, and what they tell you about American history (and even more importantly America's evolving attitude towards its own history).

One thing I can tell you (with the benefit of having studied the period) is that the John Wayne film The Green Berets - made when America just assumed it would walk the conflict - isn't the most accurate
emotion-5.gif

Apocalyse Now - Redux is aweome IMO, and oddly enough, Good Morning Vietnam stands up strangely well.

Full Metal Jacket and We Were Soldiers also stand out.

I agree with GV. My favourite is Deerhunter.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Looks like im going to have to watch Apocalypse Now again. Has been possibly 15 years, and Deerhunter thats been ages too. Remember Platoon though. Glad to have picked up on these again as so much CG and IMO poorer scripting than when a film had to have just a great story to succeed.

Loved the fact that Full Metal Jacket was respectful of the enemies abilities, and having to kill the female sniper- Could you have done it? Genius

A

Anonymous

What about the Chuck Norris films about rescuing prisoners.

A

Anonymous

Difficult to answer this as the Vietnamese film industry has been quiet over the last couple of years.

My vote would go to The Scent of the Green Papaya.

American films about the Vietnam war tend to be more about their own guilt than anything else, and I'm not aware of any Vietnamese films depicting the war that are available in English.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

I got really excited when Redux came out, expecting it to be even better, but I watched it and came away just thinking, I realised why they had removed the extra scenes! In my opinion, they didnt really add much, and were a bit slow. But thats just me.
emotion-1.gif

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
I think Brian De Palma's Casualties Of War is a fairly disturbing tale from the Vietnam war, well worth a watch.

I don't think I've seen Apocalypse Now Redux, the original cut is a cracking film though.

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
JamesOK:Clare Newsome:

I got really excited when Redux came out, expecting it to be even better, but I watched it and came away just thinking, I realised why they had removed the extra scenes! In my opinion, they didnt really add much, and were a bit slow. But thats just me.
emotion-1.gif

James, it's not just you, original cut still wins it for me also and for many reasons. Platoon is a good runner up.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Own Apocalypse Now redux, but still haven't got round to watching it.

Full Metal Jacket is excellent, and IMO, the first part when they are in training is one of the greatest 30/40 minutes in cinema history

Platoon and Good Morning Vietnam are both decent too

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
the_lhc:landzw:What about the killing fields i thought that was a good film I might be wrong but I think that was Cambodia?

It was. During the reign of Pol Pot.

Platoon for me. But then, I'm a John C McGinley fan

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I enjoyed Apocalypse Now, but I'm not sure how much that was influenced by having read and enjoyed Heart of Darkness before I ever saw it.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
ID.:I enjoyed Apocalypse Now, but I'm not sure how much that was influenced by having read and enjoyed Heart of Darkness before I ever saw it.

I enjoyed it too, and I am sure it had a lot to do with the thundering great PA stacks they installed front and back in the cinema where I saw it the week it opened in the UK!

A

Anonymous

heaven and earth,the deerhunter,casualties of war and dead presidents are my favourites
emotion-22.gif

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Just put bids on ebay for:

'We were Soldiers' and 'Hamburger Hill'. Haven't seen either.

The Chuck Norris stuff was 'Missing in Action', remember my Dad loving it and watching several times. Can only seem to remember it being pretty good at the time and something about rats!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts