Best use of £1000 upgrade budget ?

colint

Aug 4, 2007
Visit site
I'm planning on treating myself to an upgrade and have a £1k budget. I'm pretty happy with the overall sound from my set up, but can hear definite improvements when auditioning newer kit from Arcam and Roksan (I'm tempted to keep the same combo of Roksan amp, Arcam CD as it works for me but would consider similar sounding kit).

The problem I'm having is that when I auditioned a "better" amp, it's paired with a newer CD player so I can't decide whats making the most improvement.

What's likely to make the most difference ? I'll be upgrading everything over a couple of years but want to know wheres best to start.

Thanks

ps happy to buy used if it helps

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
IMO, I'd start at the bottom and work up. Change your source first, then your amp and your speakers last. The new Kandy K2 CD player is probably worth an audition, along with the usual suspects from Cyrus (CD6SE) and Arcam (FMJ CD36 can be had for around £700 now). You could then spend the difference on some improved interconnects.

A

Anonymous

Sorry to disagree with you Chris but as the speakers have the largest impact on sound quality I would replace them first.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Grimly Fiendish:Sorry to disagree with you Chris but as the speakers have the largest impact on sound quality I would replace them first.

Fair enough. I just believed the M5s to already be in the next class up from the CDP.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'd agree with that comment Grimly.

With your current set-up (which IMO is good) i'd look to be changing the speakers. Maybe try the M/A RS6/8 speakers or the B&W 684s or the 683's.

Both will sound very good with your Roksan amp and Arcam CDP.

You could also consider going down the power amp route and changing your CD73 for an Arcam CD192 etc...

John Duncan

The amp's a good core, so I'd look at speakers. PMC DB1i and a DACMagic.......
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts