best upgrade to current streaming set up

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Current setup - streaming mainly 320kps files from pc to xbox, hooked upto beresford tc7510 via optical / audioengine a5's. With a Budget of around 500 quid, where is my money best spent with regards to an upgrade? New speakers? Dac? Is the xbox holding me back as a transport? Should the fact I'm using lossy files limit my budget? (too many questions!) Thinking along the lines of actimate maxis / rdac or Dacmagic. Any feedback welcome! Cheers, nick

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
For the biggest presentation difference I'd change the speakers. However, you're into diminishing returns so moving from £270 speakers to £500 speakers is probably not that huge a jump.

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
>streaming mainly 320kps files from pc to xbox<

I'd move to a Squeezebox Touch - silent, full UI without TV, in-built radio/Spotify streaming, basis of a multi-zone setup.

While your source is 320kpbs, DAC etc is lipstick on a pig. IMHO.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
My system sounds very nice indeed (to me at least). The audio interface and speakers cost less than £550 all in, on the second hand market. Both items were mint and in 'as new' condition, so if you shop around, you can get a bargain.

You could sell any surplus equipment to bring the cost down further.

A

Anonymous

Cheers for the replies guys. Overdose - listening in 6mx4m lounge. Mainly into rock and metal but being in a 4th floor apartment means I cant blast it out too much! I'll check out your setup too. And I wouldnt say the Dac is lipstick on a pig! Haha. I auditioned some actimates with lossless files with no Dac and I honestly didn't think they sounded as good as my current setup.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Changing sources will give you negligible results. Changing speakers however, can reap huge improvements. Definitely look at studio monitors on the second hand market and audio interfaces such as the UA25 and E-MU 0404. Pro audio DACs are also a cheap option (not cheap sounding though).

Given your accomodation situation, actives provide the bass control that will give you a more neighbour friendly system (far less boomy), but still deliver on the low frequencies. I have only heard my speakers with regards to monitors, but it's unlikely I'll ever go back to passive speakers now.

Most studio monitors will only accept balanced inputs, but that is for the better, with an improved signal and greater gain over phono/RCA connections and this is where an audio interface steps in, as they all provide such connections as standard.

A

Anonymous

have been giving the NAS drive option some thought, but dont really fancy having 2 copies of every music file (ie one for on the go, one for at home). any idea what the DAC is like in the squeezebox?

im pretty much sold on going down the active route (want to keep the box count down), but haven't really looked into the proper studio monitors. hear they give a very flat response? and any idea how the characteristics of an audio interface would compare with something like a beresford / dacmagic?

thanks again for the advice guys.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Sonic differences between most DACs is far less than some might lead you to believe.

With regards to the squeezebox, you need to be careful about which NAS you get, as not all can be used with Squeezecenter.

Internal hard drives are plenty big enough nowadays and even my music collection of around 1000 albums takes up only arounf 400GB in FLAC format. I will be getting a small form factor HTPC soon and that will take over music duties and the NAS will only be used for backup.

If you are patient and shop around, you could get an excellent deal on some ex demo kit. Dynaudio BM5A and Mackie HR624 were my choices, but the BM5s came up at the best price first.

Another note on audio interfaces, if you get one with USB and optical inputs, it will double as a preamp. In this regard, the UA25 works very well, but there are also other options, though increasing in price.

A

Anonymous

Right! Spotted some Avi adm9.1's on the cheap, reckon these will be any good for metal and rock etc without the sub? Hear they are a tad lean...

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
If by lean, you mean lacking in bass, then no.

If you have a good deal, then buy them. I don't think you'll regret it, but even if you do, they will retain their value when moving them on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts