Help needed with streaming audio set up

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I work in the Middle East and having moved into a new house recently one of my first tasks when I get home for my Christmas leave will be to set up a streaming audio network.

I've got a fairly new but surplus to requirements reasonable spcification HP laptop (2.2 dual core 4MB 2x500Gb HDD running Win XP) which I was thinking of using as a "dedicated" music server running i-tunes with my CD collection ripped to ALAC.

I've already had a "dry run" with a single Apple Airport Express using the TOSLINK output into the optical in of the AV receiver I use over here and in addition to being easy to set up sounds not too bad.

So given that I want to stream music to the kitchen the master bedroom and my main system in the living room (currently NAD integrated (I forget the model but it's due an upgrade anyway) and Mission 752 speakers which are old but to me sound just fine) what are my options?

I'd assumed 2 more Airport Express feeding (in the short term) via the 3.5minijack analog out a couple of Denon Mini-systems I bought for daughters a couple of years ago for the kitchen and master bedroom and for the main system using the mini toslink into an as yet to be purchased DAC ( CMagic Beresford Caiman V-DAC ?) into my current NAD amp or whatever I replace it with.

I've got an iPod Touch so I'd use Remote to control everything.

Budget is flexible up to around 1000GBP (not including amp upgrade)

Would an Apple TV be a better option plugged into a TV in the bedroom that way I would also have access to Apple store content, ripped DVD's etc etc. and with my most frequently played music stored on the Apple TV presumably I could use wireless N

Anyway any and all suggestions greatfully received but at the moment my feeling is cheap and cheerful Airport plus existing Denon mini system for the kitchen and spend the money on a better bedroom and main system.

Thanks in anticipation

John Duncan

You've got it pretty much covered, but a few pointers.

1) Apple TV will not allow you to play ripped DVDs, unless you install aftermarket hacks like ATVFlash which invalidate your warranty and IME have proved to not do everything they say (though I have been able to copy and watch a movie on it - for research purposes obv).

2) That said, the convenience of having the content on its hard drive and not depend on a sometimes-flaky wireless network was what made me get one, and I love it to bits. Normally it's just plugged into the stereo, I don't use a screen, though I did this weekend and just watching the HD Avatar trailer from the Store was spectacular...

3) using a Touch or iPhone as a remote reduces your network speed to 'g'.

A

Anonymous

Ahhhh thanks for that John useful info re: the ripped DVD's. Having said that my primary usage would be as an audio source and presumably if my wife wanted to get the odd download from the apple store that would just be a bonus feature. Wasn't aware of the Touch/iphone dropping the wireless back to g either do you see that as a problem in an averagely busy semi urban enviroment?

John Duncan

I only have a g network anyway and it's fine, but like you only use it for audio - it could be an issue if you wanted to stream video. As I say I've managed to get a DVD ripped and copied onto it after buying and installing ATVFlash, but was a palaver so not sure I'd use it in anger - iTunes store might be your better bet (and that's certainly what Apple want you to do) - though purchases and HD rentals are a bit overpriced, IYAM.

A

Anonymous

Thanks John the video was in any case an "afterthought" as I'm sure my wife will ask the question. But the primary focus will be on audio.

A

Anonymous

I was looking into Airport Express as well, and I find it brilliant for what it does. Music from iTunes - period

Video is a priority for me and I really want the boxes out and inside the closet. I have used VLC media player for streaming video and with great success. These are my findings:

- If the server is not cabled to the router I have a hacked stream at around 2500mbps. In other words only 1/3 of whats needed for full DVD quality. Clients may recieve the stream with no prob. My WLAN is a G

- If the server is cabled to the router I can boost a video stream to full 8000mbps using VLC in both ends. Sound is great and video is great and physically stored in a NAS.

Now how to get the entertainment to where it's supposed to go. My setup scope is changing as follows:

Instead of the external surround stuff I am in the process of moving power to active speakers. No more reciever. Just speakers that are there anyways. I prioritice that they have digital audio in.

B&O later models will do this. Cheaper options are around but difficult to find. Alternative is passive speakers and rebuild using amps for build in such as:

http://www.hypex.nl/

http://www.hypex.nl/They come in 100W, 200W, 400W and 700W all 4ohm. Everything mounted on the plate. Interface ok and digital in ok...

In order to revcieve streams of any kind I am looking around for the Mac Mini as a media center in my living room:

http://store.apple.com/dk/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_mini?mco=MTM3NDkzNjU

It's small and neat

It recieves streams from iTunes Server. AAC,MP3 or ALAC. It passes audio in the same way as Express. Mini Jack analog or s/PDIF digital/optical.

Video out is digital through DVI mini or the latest Mini Playport. They both convert passively into HDMI, so full HD streams can be transfered digital all the way to the monitor throgh HDMI. It plays DVDs directly inside the box. It can be remotecontrolled from iPhone using Remote app or VLC Remote app. Further remote control involves RowMote.

At the same time it may serve as the office mac, using bluetooth stuff

I haven't fully sorted out sound decoding into 5.1/7.1 yet but working on it.

In other words. Airport Express is cool where audio is required

Fulfeatured entertainment Mac mini is it

DVI / HDMI straight to the monitor

Power amplification distributes into active speakers everywhere.

Getting your Lossless audio digitally into class D Amps from UCD you will have a high end solution.

Getting your DVD in full res to the HDMI interface you will have great images

Next for me is getting a digital tuner DVB card for the NAS, so that TV channels are streamed to clients using VLC

Best regards Henrik

A

Anonymous

Hi henrik and a belated thanks for your reply.

I'd actually given up on the forum driven away to be honest by the ill in-formed pontificating/posturing but this thread appeared in a Google Search I did for hypex modules.

I've been onto the Hypex site and being a recent convert to active systems (I'm currently using an Apple Airport Express to drive (via it's optical out) a pair of Roland DS5's as a sort of low budget bedroom system and really enjoying it) and I have an idea to modify my Mission 752's with a pair of Hypex AS2.100 digital plate amps.

Have you any personal experience of the Hypex modules ? At 600 Euro for a pair it seems like it might be worth taking a chance?

TRENDING THREADS