best tweters for acoustic music

bubobubo

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
what do you concider the best speakers tweters for acoustic music?

soft dome, horn, aluminium, magnesium, diamant, papper, titan etc?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
nopiano said:
I very much doubt there is a best 'by type' as so much depends on the implementation. However, I'd probably say 'electrostatic' stands a good chance of being superior, though it wasn't on your list!
Just read the latest edition of HifiNews and the Martin Logan Renaissance ESL15A review. The ES panel part of the speaker really measures rather badly. 'Cluttered with resonances above 1khz' (PM lab).

Perhaps they should have named it 'Resona ...' instead :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Harbeths are supposed to excel at this kind of music so i'd suggest their aluminium dome tweeters. However, you'll really need the Harbeth crossover, cabinet and bass/mid driver too :)

My own speakers are superb in this respect with their Vifa silk dome tweeters.

chebby said:
Harbeths are supposed to excel at this kind of music so i'd suggest their aluminium dome tweeters. However, you'll really need the Harbeth crossover, cabinet and bass/mid driver too :)

Personally I don't think it's a tweeter type you are looking for it is their integration with the rest of the speaker including the crossover and again where you wish to utilities said speakers.

Ribbons have been mentioned but these are not necessarily the best for 'acoustic' music as most of this will employ mid-range frequency.

You need to be more specific in exactly what you are listening to and the room you intend to do this in.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
chebby said:

Personally I don't think it's a tweeter type you are looking for it is their integration with the rest of the speaker including the crossover and again where you wish to utilities said speakers.

Ribbons have been mentioned but these are not necessarily the best for 'acoustic' music as most of this will employ mid-range frequency.

You need to be more specific in exactly what you are listening to and the room you intend  to do this in.

+ 1

Integration.

As most tweeters cross over at frequencies our hearing is most sensitive.

Cambridge use a 'radiator' type midrange/tweeter style driver (the exact name of which escapes me at the moment) which avoids this to some extent and may be another good solution, better perhaps than a relatively expensive ribbon that doesn't integrate properly.

The only problem is the name and look of them ... .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts