lgbern

Jan 24, 2023
Visit site
Hi everybody!

I'm looking for good turntables. I was decided to buy an Audio Technica AT-LPW50PB but reading this forum people prefered Rega over AT. I'd like to know your opinion... I've looked different models of Project (Rega is over +400€ with preamp included), Project Juke Box and Project E1 Phono are also possible options. I want turntables with preamp included.

What would you recommend to buy? Thanks!

WayneKerr

That AT looks like a fine turntable indeed. Removable headshell and adjustable VTF - something you will not get on the cheaper Pro-Ject's or Rega's, it also comes with a very decent cartridge. Out of the turntables you mention in this price range, personally, I think the AT is the one to buy.

Reactions: nopiano and Al ears

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
hello, i would try first to get a 70´s technics in good condition ,sometimes they apear on ebay with prices like 195€ or around it and they have a far superior sound compared to most of the new turntables and they come with in-amp to a phono line, this because till a 1000€ nothing comes close and upgrading cartridges are not an improvement that one notices as an example 70´s turntables in good condition have much better sound than this price range of new turntables but the AT-120 something ,the one that loooks like the SL-1200 from technics as the requirements you asked and with new audio-technica stylus (new edition) that sounds a lot better than low reference cartridges of other famous brands like Nagaoka, Ortofon or Sumiko,etc. . If you notice brands like technics , Teac, Magnat ,etc. have them in their new turntables till 1000€´s or a bit more ,if they weren´t good they wouldn´t install them on their new models, and with a cheap cartridge on an old technics you´ll get a sound with much higher fidelity ,i´m using today a technics SL-3310 that was closed in the box since 1980 because at the time they sold components systems with tuner, amplifier, cassette deck also this turntable that i never opened it because i already had at the time 7 better turntables ,but i opened it and all functions (mechanical ones) had not ceased to work after a bit more than 40 years of being closed in the box, the cartridge and stylus was a very good one but today they sell substitution needles but badly fabricated no matter what the sellers say about them, i have been using it´s original cartridge and stylus the EPS-270ES but had to buy a new one because they are not available anymore but i tried a Grado gold III prestige (salso eliptical and made it sound very good wich is not that expensive but the same as they ask for the entire turntable normally. Also there are cheaper eliptical stylus from several brands that make it sound very good, as an example i have a friend that spent 1.000€ (or close) in a pro-ject turntable it came with a 2M red stylus from Ortofon ,it sounded so bad that he bought a Nagaoka MP-100 the cheapest one and now the sound is bad but full of high´s , there´s also goldring new series of stylus and cartridges that sound very good this at aceptable prices . I have to say that i have another friend that is a bit older than me that he uses a Pro-ject turntable wich sounds perfect but between the turntable and cartridge he spent 14.000€´s on it and he uses a early 70´s amplification system from Demidoff(early 70´s) and some late 80´s or a bit later B & W that were the most expensive and powerfull ones ,exluding the snail type speaker (designer made)hand-made and still sold today, this to tell that there are good sounding turntables from pro-ject but too much money spent , my system in 76 cost maybe more but given to me by my father ,after he bought a smi-professional system by Revox wich first only had amplifier, tuner, reel to reel deck, turntable and studer speakers (Revox professional line)this because my mother almost left home he asked for sorry saying that i needed a better sound-system that i had at the time, so he bought a new one for himself and gave to me his 76 pionner top-end system, wich both are mine today, but this all to say that either than technics there are very good turntables from other known brands but the only turntable i found aceptable was the AT similar to the SL-1200mkII and today they ask maybe 360€ for it in black or grey ,the other brands you refer are close to the pro-ject TT´s excluding a Fluance that almost as good sound but too expensive, so this is my advice to you ,allthough today mi have a ...sorry several systems with great quality, i started with a 1970 receiver from pioneer in mono and a turntable also from pioneer in second hand ,kind of their professional line with litle celestion ditton series speakers this in mono with a reel to reel deck that my grandfather ofered me from akai in 1970 a crossfield something with no amplification or speakers just a plain reel deck the cheapest because i was using a high-end reel deck from grundig released in the 50´s and looking very old , this to record radio shows that at the time was the source of every kind of new music and today isn´t a radio music program, is a computer playing randomly songs and a pair of guys making jokes and not knowing the songs they are playing, but this to say either than the SL-1200 made for professional use there are cheaper brands that have their old turntables professional line wich are very resistant to the passage of time and at the same time with very good output sound and not as expensive as the technics SL-1200. This is only my opinion

Reactions: Emark600
hello, i would try first to get a 70´s technics in good condition ,sometimes they apear on ebay with prices like 195€ or around it and they have a far superior sound compared to most of the new turntables and they come with in-amp to a phono line, this because till a 1000€ nothing comes close and upgrading cartridges are not an improvement that one notices as an example 70´s turntables in good condition have much better sound than this price range of new turntables but the AT-120 something ,the one that loooks like the SL-1200 from technics as the requirements you asked and with new audio-technica stylus (new edition) that sounds a lot better than low reference cartridges of other famous brands like Nagaoka, Ortofon or Sumiko,etc. . If you notice brands like technics , Teac, Magnat ,etc. have them in their new turntables till 1000€´s or a bit more ,if they weren´t good they wouldn´t install them on their new models, and with a cheap cartridge on an old technics you´ll get a sound with much higher fidelity ,i´m using today a technics SL-3310 that was closed in the box since 1980 because at the time they sold components systems with tuner, amplifier, cassette deck also this turntable that i never opened it because i already had at the time 7 better turntables ,but i opened it and all functions (mechanical ones) had not ceased to work after a bit more than 40 years of being closed in the box, the cartridge and stylus was a very good one but today they sell substitution needles but badly fabricated no matter what the sellers say about them, i have been using it´s original cartridge and stylus the EPS-270ES but had to buy a new one because they are not available anymore but i tried a Grado gold III prestige (salso eliptical and made it sound very good wich is not that expensive but the same as they ask for the entire turntable normally. Also there are cheaper eliptical stylus from several brands that make it sound very good, as an example i have a friend that spent 1.000€ (or close) in a pro-ject turntable it came with a 2M red stylus from Ortofon ,it sounded so bad that he bought a Nagaoka MP-100 the cheapest one and now the sound is bad but full of high´s , there´s also goldring new series of stylus and cartridges that sound very good this at aceptable prices . I have to say that i have another friend that is a bit older than me that he uses a Pro-ject turntable wich sounds perfect but between the turntable and cartridge he spent 14.000€´s on it and he uses a early 70´s amplification system from Demidoff(early 70´s) and some late 80´s or a bit later B & W that were the most expensive and powerfull ones ,exluding the snail type speaker (designer made)hand-made and still sold today, this to tell that there are good sounding turntables from pro-ject but too much money spent , my system in 76 cost maybe more but given to me by my father ,after he bought a smi-professional system by Revox wich first only had amplifier, tuner, reel to reel deck, turntable and studer speakers (Revox professional line)this because my mother almost left home he asked for sorry saying that i needed a better sound-system that i had at the time, so he bought a new one for himself and gave to me his 76 pionner top-end system, wich both are mine today, but this all to say that either than technics there are very good turntables from other known brands but the only turntable i found aceptable was the AT similar to the SL-1200mkII and today they ask maybe 360€ for it in black or grey ,the other brands you refer are close to the pro-ject TT´s excluding a Fluance that almost as good sound but too expensive, so this is my advice to you ,allthough today mi have a ...sorry several systems with great quality, i started with a 1970 receiver from pioneer in mono and a turntable also from pioneer in second hand ,kind of their professional line with litle celestion ditton series speakers this in mono with a reel to reel deck that my grandfather ofered me from akai in 1970 a crossfield something with no amplification or speakers just a plain reel deck the cheapest because i was using a high-end reel deck from grundig released in the 50´s and looking very old , this to record radio shows that at the time was the source of every kind of new music and today isn´t a radio music program, is a computer playing randomly songs and a pair of guys making jokes and not knowing the songs they are playing, but this to say either than the SL-1200 made for professional use there are cheaper brands that have their old turntables professional line wich are very resistant to the passage of time and at the same time with very good output sound and not as expensive as the technics SL-1200. This is only my opinion
Can you please keep your replies precise and answer the OPs question.
Most of your post is hard to read and irrelevant in the main.

Reactions: WayneKerr
Hi everybody!

I'm looking for good turntables. I was decided to buy an Audio Technica AT-LPW50PB but reading this forum people prefered Rega over AT. I'd like to know your opinion... I've looked different models of Project (Rega is over +400€ with preamp included), Project Juke Box and Project E1 Phono are also possible options. I want turntables with preamp included.

Welcome to the forum!

If you can get the AT for under €400 that looks like a good buy. In Europe I’m sure Pro-ject is also widely available and easy to get service/support for if necessary. And they may come in finishes other than black, if that matters to you!

The Rega popularity is a little more understandable in the UK where it is made. But prices usually creep up when export is involved.

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Can you please keep your replies precise and answer the OPs question.
Most of your post is hard to read and irrelevant in the main.
sorry ,might be from the age, i start to remenber when talking about a matter, it comes to my mind and i forget the main subject but didn´t get out that much of what was being discussed, i think

Reactions: Al ears
Hi everybody!

Agree with others, Audio Technica seems like a good one. Pro-ject also produce excellent tables.

To be honest, you can't go wrong with any table around your budget.

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Agree with others, Audio Technica seems like a good one. Pro-ject also produce excellent tables.

To be honest, you can't go wrong with any table around your budget.
not that i ´m against your posted coment but be carefull i heard a lot of new turntables and didn´t get happy with their sound, this equiped with cheap but good stylus from good brands that would reproduce clean and dynamic sound in a good turntable, see if the AT turntable as optional change of cartridge or the whole head of the reading system, if not i wouldn´t take the risck of buying this new and well talked about turntables that in my opinion it´s 1st: Fluance 2nd:Rega(wich had in the past good sounding turntables but cheap built )3rd: Pro-Ject ,this all regarding a 1.000€ budget, they all have good turntables but too expensive .The Audio-Technica, there´s one with auto-return simple or minimal design with a regular tonearm and a reading head (don´t know if it´s the correct designation in english)wich in my opinion being cheaper sounds better, but as i refered before the 2nd hand market if in good condition it will surprise you by the quality of them being from early 70´s like the PL-12 from Pioneer with anti-skating(some were realeased without anti-skating in a diferent year) wich sounds better if working properly than any other turntable till a 1.000€´s , as a example in the back the counter weight and anti-skating must work perfectelly or in some models the hanging weight to correct the skating effect. Some were not well taken care off and might be not working perfect , the age for this turntables is not a matter , they do have with original stylus and cartridge a wider spectrum of frequencies real, not fake for selling purposes that they refer to have in their specifications but when measured they are far from it as an example Pro-Ject ,that i have nothing against this brand but their good turntables are really expensive, while this PL-12 from Pioneer built almost all in metal and real wood only a few pieces are made of an old and hard plastic like the change of speed and the auto-return button in some models ,depending in the year of realease. I´ve seen one for sale in a national site ,OLX(portuguese site) for 120€ in perfect working condition ,model from 1972(quality above any turntable sold new today till a 1.000€), i would like to refer that Audio-Technica in the 70´s was considered by many one of the best brands in the world of tonearms and stylus, i have a personalised turntable from mid 70´s the PLC-580 from pioneer that was considered their best turntable with a tonearm ,cartridge and stylus from AT, that at the time i also looked for SME type arms and shure cartridges and stylus but ended up buying AT wich was much more expensive compared to my other option and i´ve seen this turntable being sold on Ebay for a lot of money with AT tone arm and stylus but diferent models from what i have . Hope i could help with your final choice

Last edited:
not that i ´m against your posted coment but be carefull i heard a lot of new turntables and didn´t get happy with their sound, this equiped with cheap but good stylus from good brands that would reproduce clean and dynamic sound in a good turntable, see if the AT turntable as optional change of cartridge or the whole head of the reading system, if so i wouldn´t take the risck of buying this new and well talked about turntables that in my opinion it´s 1st: Fluance 2nd:Rega(wich had in the past good sounding turntables but cheap built )3rd:pro-Ject ,this all regarding a 1.000€ budget, they all have good turntables but too expensive .The Audio-Technica, there´s one with auto-return simple or minimal design with a regular tonearm and a reading head (don´t know if it´s the correct designation in english)wich in my opinion being cheaper sounds better, but as i refered before the 2nd hand market if in good condition it will surprise you by the quality of them being from early 70´s like the PL-12 from Pioneer with anti-skating(some were realeased without anti-skating in a diferent year) wich sounds better if working properly than any other turntable till a 1.000€´s , as a example in the back the counter weight and anti-skating must work perfectelly or in some models the hanging weight to correct the anti-skating. Some were not well taken care off and might be not working perfect , the age for this turntables is not a matter , they do have with original stylus and cartridge a wider spectrum of frequencies and real not fake for selling purposes that they refer to have in their specifications but when measured they are far from it as an example Pro-Ject ,that i have nothing against this brand but their good turntables are really expensive, while this PL-12 from Pioneer built almost all in metal and real wood only a few pieces are made of an old and hard plastic like the change of speed and the auto-return button in some models ,depending in the year of realease, i´ve seen one for sale in a national site ,OLX(portuguese site) for 120€ in perfect working condition ,model from 1972(quality above any turntable sold new today till a 1.000€), i would like to refer that Audio-Technica in the 70´s was considered by many one of the best brands in the world of tonearms and stylus, i have a personalised turntable from mid 70´s the PLC-580 from pioneer that ws considered their best turntable with a tonearm and cartridge and stylus that at the time i also looked for SME type arms and shure cartridges and stylus but ended up buying AT wich was much expensive compared to my other option and i´ve seen this turntable being sold on Ebay for a lot of money with AT tone arm and stylus but diferent models from what i have . Hope i could help with your final choice
At least I'm keeping on topic.

IME turntables around that price tend to be much of a muchness, only difference is with the cartridge fitted.

Please separate your posts into paragraphs. They are hard to read otherwise.

Cheers

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
At least I'm keeping on topic.

IME turntables around that price tend to be much of a muchness, only difference is with the cartridge fitted.

Please separate your posts into paragraphs. They are hard to read otherwise.

Cheers
Again, Sorry! my written english is bad ,i´m portuguese ,allthough i travel a lot to England and Scotland where my sister and brother live, i can´t improve my writting, allthough i tried, words didn´t fell on def ears but, i have this problem ,i thought it could be understood, and also get out of topic a lot but when i´m writting i think it should be mentioned this to do not fall in empty words or meaning less opinions , in portuguese i could explain the elctronics behind each turntable i refer to, but my technical english is even worst, regards

Emark600

Dec 31, 2022
Visit site
Again, Sorry! my written english is bad ,i´m portuguese ,allthough i travel a lot to England and Scotland where my sister and brother live, i can´t improve my writting, allthough i tried, words didn´t fell on def ears but, i have this problem ,i thought it could be understood, and also get out of topic a lot but when i´m writting i think it should be mentioned this to do not fall in empty words or meaning less opinions , in portuguese i could explain the elctronics behind each turntable i refer to, but my technical english is even worst, regards
Thanks Rui for you input, I found it very interesting. Sorry about the rather rude comments made by others.

Gray

Thanks Rui for you input, I found it very interesting. Sorry about the rather rude comments made by others.
No need to apologise for anyone else @Emark600
They are not being rude.
They're as interested in his comments as you are.
They are doing him a favour by ensuring that they actually get read.

Have a look at post #18 in the thread 'Vinyl quality' 👍
(It should help you to understand that rudeness is not involved).

Last edited:
No problem. Thanks for making it clearer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts