Question Best turntable under $1000 / for my current set up

theprofessor

Aug 8, 2020
Visit site
Hello,

Pretty much everything I've read has said that the Rega Planar 2 or 3 and the Pro-ject debut carbon and X1 are the best new turntables for under $1000, Is it possible to break down the key differences between the 4 and is there a model amongst the two companies I should consider that I'm not.

Also, Is there a brand/model I'm not considering at all that would be great for my set up?

I have a Marantz 2015 receiver and Klipsch forte II floor standing speakers,

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Last edited:

Jimboo

They are very good turntables but then again they are a little bland looking and without much competition in a fairly limited market.
Second hand is your friend with your budget. I personally find the new turntables to be soulless generic moulded slabs lacking the style of the 'glory' days. I have a Linn axis. Get the right cartridge fitted and be patient and you may find something that is a joy to own.
If I was buying new a few more hundred would get you a clearaudio concept.

They are very good turntables but then again they are a little bland looking and without much competition in a fairly limited market.
Second hand is your friend with your budget. I personally find the new turntables to be soulless generic moulded slabs lacking the style of the 'glory' days. I have a Linn axis. Get the right cartridge fitted and be patient and you may find something that is a joy to own.
If I was buying new a few more hundred would get you a clearaudio concept.
He's talking dollars not pounds you may have noticed.
The Concept would be nearly double his budget if priced the same as it is here in UK

rainsoothe

Can't go wrong with either, IMO - not familiar with the X1, though, but both their bundled cartridges are just ok and when the time comes I'd replace them with Nagoka, Audio Technica or Goldring offerings. The X1 has built in electronic speed change between 33 and 45, whereas the P3 needs the addition of a PSU. The tonearm on the P3 is arguably better. If you want to go down the upgraditis rabbit hole, the P3 is better, since there's a lot of aftermarket tweaks available (for instance, I'd also purchase the Edwards Audio little belter from the get-go, since I don't trust the Rega belts because of Rega's notoriously shabby quality control). If you want to just fit and forget and enjoy your records, I'd probably go for the Project. Whichever you end up getting, the must have additional stuff you should get is 1. a scale for measuring the tracking force (I have yet to find a tonearm weight that has accurate markings that actually match the tracking weight) and 2. some form of isolation - cheapest option is an Ikea Apitilig bamboo chopping board which you place on 3 or 4 sorbothane feet (or Vibrapods, which aren't that expensive). 3. A bubble level or something to ensure the tt is perfectly level.

StratDoc

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
Recently bought a Pro-Ject X1 and replaced the cartridge with a Goldring E3. The pre-installed cartridge with the X1 sounded a bit bland lacking in higher range. The sound with E3 is excellent in my opinion.

Reactions: Al ears
Recently bought a Pro-Ject X1 and replaced the cartridge with a Goldring E3. The pre-installed cartridge with the X1 sounded a bit bland lacking in higher range. The sound with E3 is excellent in my opinion.
We are, again, assuming the OP is actually in the US.
Until we know for sure it is perhaps not best advice to offer as prices can be variable.

Bear in mind, in the US you have to add sales tax to the US price. It is not like our VAT system.
Precisely. That tax can vary from state to state so unless we have some idea as to what the "take home" cost is we cannot comment on it's value however we could assume that any turntable will have this tax applied so it's all relative.
If we take the Pro-eject X1 as an example it is £749 in the UK, is it available for $975 or less in the U.S.?
If not it may not be the bargain it appears to be to us.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts