Best Tonearm Under 500

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Well I have a line on a Technics SP10. It was the last word in broadcast tt's. Was playing with one today, I had it on 78rpm, then pulled the plug to time how long the platter spun for. 1 minute 57 seconds!!! On a 25 year old tt. That, is some seriously well built bearings.

The thing has some of the lowest rumble and wow ever achieved, and comes with a top-notch psu standard. My thinking is I can cobble together a pretty good plinth and then all I need is the best hifi tonearm I can get within a reasonable price envelope.

Thoughts??

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Yes, the Rega RB 250. I've just come from a Linn LP12, Technics SL1210 to a Rega P2, now i may sound crazy but the P2 is better than the Linn with an Ittok and seriously better than the Technics, although the technics had a slight fault and the Linn had bearing problems but the Rega arm is fantastic with a Denon DL 110 and on your SP10 would sound wonderful. I have had some great decks in the past the original planar 2 being one then a roksan with an RB 300, then a planar 3 to a gyro SE with an RB 300 then the Linn to my present deck via the Technics. Of all the decks the one's with Rega arms sounded best but my p2 is the best so far, so am i crazy, no i don't think i am just happy to have a deck arm and cartridge that work wonderfully together. Rega have a new arm, the RB 251, it has the 3 point fixing so the arm board may be a problem as most of the aftermarket boards are for the standard fixing, but you are no doubt aware of origin live so give them a call, they should be able to advise on the best course to take. Good luck Ray and let us know which route you take.

A

Anonymous

Maybe the Michelle Techno arm would be a good bet within your price budget, I tried a Denon DL110 on a Jelco arm the other day and thought it was a awful cartridge, strange how everyone sings it's praises, but I found it very tinny and thin in the top end, and it couldn't time well, very disappointing cart.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
The RB-250, modified with the Michell counterweight and re-wired (the Cardas wire is top quality) is pretty unbeatable in your price range.

T

the record spot

Yup, modified RB250 (or 300, but somewhat more fiddly due to slightly different construction over the 250). Origin or Michell - either would be good and a matter of personal taste really.

A

Anonymous

The Techno looks very rega-esque, is it a J.A. michell variation on the rega pattern?

Edit.. The Technoarm is out of pricerange here in Canada... But there is a very interesting J.A.Michell RB250 for a cracking good 599.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts