best stand mount speakers at low volume

S83 Trike

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
I am looking to off load my ATC 11's for a stand mounted speaker that can sound great at low volume ( can a speaker actually sound great at low volume? )

Current set up is

Audiolab cdx 8200 cd/ pre amp and quad 909 power amp.

Room size is 4x3.5

Budget circa £1000

New or 2nd hand not really bothered as long as they sound great.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Are your speakers new or old model SCM 11s? I had the new curved model for a spell and to me they sounded great at low volume. If you're looking to replicate exactly the same experience at low volumes as moderate/high volumes it's unlikely to happen, not in my experience with the many speakers I've owned anyway.

It might be worth exploring speakers that are intended to be used in smaller systems and are designed for use at lower volumes. Continually read great things about Neat Iotas. Kef LS50s or Q acoustic concept 20s could be worth a listen too.

Mark Rose-Smith said:
My pmc twenty 21's or not bad at low volume but there's only so much a speaker can do at these levels unless you are listening to something very artificial and very coloured.my daughters sonos play 3 comes to mind.

Quite agree with the above, it seems to me you might be better off with some speakers that are really efficient as I find these tend to perform better at low volume. There are limits of course and it is perhaps rude me to suggest headphones for such situations.

K

keeper of the quays

This is the sort of situation that a loudness button would if been useful! To be honest..don't bother! Mr ears had good suggestion..headphones! AKG 550s...job done!

S83 Trike said:
I am looking to off load my ATC 11's for a stand mounted speaker that can sound great at low volume ( can a speaker actually sound great at low volume? )

Current set up is

Audiolab cdx 8200 cd/ pre amp and quad 909 power amp.

Room size is 4x3.5

Budget circa £1000

New or 2nd hand not really bothered as long as they sound great.

Trouble is hi-fi is a compromise, unless you spend shed loads of money to build a hi-end system. You could gain in low volume but lose in other areas, such as clarity, definition. It's about balance.

I would suggest compact floorstanders, such as Spendor A3, Totem Arros, PMC GB1is... have you thought about a small sub to go with your ATCs?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You could keep what you have and get a little sub like the BK Gemini or XLS 200....or possibly Velodyne Microvee.

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers.htm

CnoEvil said:
CnoEvil said:
You could keep what you have and get a little sub like the BK Gemini or XLS 200....or possibly Velodyne Microvee.

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers.htm

Oh dear..... let's complicate a situation more than it need be. His ATCs are obviously wrong and inadequate in his system , they are also inefficient. A subwoofer is not going to cure the system.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps he should change amplification so that the ATC 11 can be properly driven, unless there are other speakers more efficient that can do a better job at low volumes, (maybe Russel K Red 50 or 100?).

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
A little bk Gemini mk2 might be just the ticket the op is looking for.I would love to try one with the pmc's but I'm sure my neighbour wouldn't be so accommodatiing and I'd be worried it'd spoil the character of the baby monitors.

I think a sub might be a top advice for low level listening.. It also all depends how you set the sub.. I have my Gemini II at 57Hz and 9 o'clock so it gently supports main monitors.. it's not there to boom or to shake the house..

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I have read that the atc's do like a bit of volume to get going,add to that,their inefficiency and you maybe need a hefty powered amp to get the best from them.probably the reason I discounted them when I was on the hunt for some good standmounts.

I notice you use a Nait XS, I have heard it in a audition, its a lovely musical amp with tempo on the button - enjoy!

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
lpv said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
A little bk Gemini mk2 might be just the ticket the op is looking for.I would love to try one with the pmc's but I'm sure my neighbour wouldn't be so accommodatiing and I'd be worried it'd spoil the character of the baby monitors.

I think a sub might be a top advice for low level listening.. It also all depends how you set the sub.. I have my Gemini II at 57Hz and 9 o'clock so it gently supports main monitors.. it's not there to boom or to shake the house..

Please correct me but I thought subwoofer is there to improve bass, not all frequencies?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
Oh dear..... let's complicate a situation more than it need be. His ATCs are obviously wrong and inadequate in his system , they are also inefficient. A subwoofer is not going to cure the system. 
Slightly patronising comment, which tbf is not usually your style.

There is no suggestion that the speakers are inadequate or poorly driven, only that they don't work so well at low volume. The Quad should be perfectly capable of driving them, so one (sensible) option is to fill out the bottom end at low volume with a Sub.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Al ears said:

There is no suggestion that the speakers are inadequate or poorly driven, only that they don't work so well at low volume. The Quad should be perfectly capable of driving them, so one (sensible) option is to fill out the bottom end at low volume with a Sub.

/quote]

Midrange and Treble?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
lpv said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:

Depends why he listens at low volumes, if its because he does not want to disturb other people than a sub is a bad idea. I think the idea of more sensitive speakers is the good one, I know some speakers need some power to sound good.

CnoEvil said:
Al ears said:

Apologies if that came across as patronising, it wasn't meant that way. Like many posters we only get half the facts then they never come back to add to their initial post. Until we get the full facts of exactly what is missing at low volumes we cannot realistically help.

I stick by my comments until further information is made available. It is clear that the speakers he currently has are not ideal in the circumstances he wishes to use them.

No end of mucking about supplementing these is going to solve the problem believe me, I've been there.

For your information it is quite obvious a speaker is inadequate if it doesn't provide what you want at all volume levels.

Bottom end is not always what is missing at low volume, it is bass extension which is completely different.

I rest my case regards the addition of a sub.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
Apologies if that came across as patronising, it wasn't meant that way. Like many posters we only get half the facts then they never come back to add to their initial post. Until we get the full facts of exactly what is missing at low volumes we cannot realistically help.

I stick by my comments until further information is made available. It is clear that the speakers he currently has are not ideal in the circumstances he wishes to use them.

No end of mucking about supplementing these is going to solve the problem believe me, I've been there.

For your information it is quite obvious a speaker is inadequate if it doesn't provide what you want at all volume levels.

Bottom end is not always what is missing at low volume, it is bass extension which is completely different.
Your points are valid, it was the "Oh Dear" that came across as rather patronising...anyway, it's not a big issue and I certainly accept that you didn't intend it.

CnoEvil said:
Al ears said:

Your points are valid, it was the "Oh Dear" that came across as rather patronising...anyway, it's not a big issue and I certainly accept that you didn't intend it.

My thanks. The 'oh dear' bit is normally reserved for those so set in their ways it's obnoxious. The outburst was directect at those that think subs cure everything.

Sometimes, perhaps, it is best not visit this forum and impart some sort of experience if you have had more than two glasses of a decent red wine. I shall endeavour not to do so in future.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
lpv said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:

Depends why he listens at low volumes, if its because he does not want to disturb other people than a sub is a bad idea. I think the idea of more sensitive speakers is the good one, I know some speakers need some power to sound good.

I can assure you I do not disturbe other people, even those sleeping in bedroom above the living room when the sub is on and that's why I mentioned settings.. I know Gemini II owner who use his at 1 o'clock gain position and I can only imagine it's must be a boomy nightmare.. people think of a sub as a noise and rumble making machine while the sub it's there to only play music material that's unplayable by main monitors.. however and above all I think one needs to sort out monitors first before adding/ try to cure situation with sub.. I know very well SCM11s, I liked them without a sub but they could benefit with a little sub addition.. also, don't forget our ability to hear lows at low levels...

how about adding quad preamp with the tilt control?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
CnoEvil said:
The outburst was directect at those that think subs cure everything.
My default position is that Subs usually do more harm than good in a 2 channel situation...but can help in certain situations if sensitively set up. I believe a case can be made in this scenario, but as you say, more info is needed eg. How much does the OP like the ATCs...after all he did choose them...possibly blind?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts