Best sounding* rock album?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
What do people think?

This thought is prompted by listening at full-fat volume to Who's Next. (Triple vinyl version). My other current candidate is Led Zep II.

* As in, you can actually hear a rock band in action - all the elements. No mush or compression. Chunky bass, fulsome drums, layers of guitar and full tilt vocals at one and the same time.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
5604.jpg

This is the most honest-sounding album as I own, Charlie, and it covers all your bases. Except the full-tilt vocals, obviously - here they're kind of wheedling and exhausted.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I agree, Simon. The rawness is only matched by the previous year's Time Fades Away. Another truly troubled record.

Although my personal favourite, from this period of NY, is On The Beach. Something to do with the splintered guitar coda on the title track.

millerman

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
As a rock fan I am constantly disappointed by the flat recordings of rock music. Nearly all the 80s stuff is really poor, even new stuff like guns n roses is flat.

There are some exceptions here

Neil young's albums are generally just raw and simple almost like having a band in the house.

Pink Floyd (noteably an analogue recording) is a great listen.

The only contemporary rock that regularly gets an airing on my kit is Nickleback.

I wondered whether the type of music lent itself to flat recording because of the simple and similar noise being generated from the instruments. Except that there a number of modern punk albums (who use the same set up; this being distorted guitar drums, bass and vocals) where by they produce a great punchy sound.

I just don't get it then, why much of the rock stuff will sound just as good on cheap kit than it does on proper hifi.

A

Anonymous

My stock answer:

Roger Waters' 'Amused to Death'.

The Marillion remasters are also superbly done.

A

Anonymous

Graham_Thomas:My stock answer: Roger Waters' 'Amused to Death'. The Marillion remasters are also superbly done.

Amused to death is brilliant ...

if you are lookig at well produced/recorded albums, these also rank highly:

Dire Straights .... Brothers in Arms

The Velvet underground & Nico

Tom Petty & the heartbreakers ... Wildflowers

Deep Purple ... Perfect Strangers

Dave Edmunds ... The many sides of Dave Edmunds

Rolling Stones ... Stripped

Eric Clapton ... Unplugged

Rage Against the machine ... rage against the machine

Fleetwood Mac ... Fleetwood Mac

loads more, but I am too lazy to type today
emotion-10.gif

the_dude2

Aug 25, 2007
Visit site
Radiohead can surely be included, they're rock enough arent they? And their albums sounds excellent. Although was listening to the Bends last night and while good hifi wise its really from OK onwardsit starts sounding great...which is as they move away from the rock sound. The title track on Kid A??!!

Muse's later albums sound good, quite clean and hifi.

Doves sound good too, but again i suppose its not that straighforward rock sound. I guess i am more alternative than straight out rock. Always good to put some Creedence on though, but i would say that. " That rug really tied the room together!"
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

the_dude2:

Radiohead can surely be included, they're rock enough arent they? And their albums sounds excellent. Although was listening to the Bends last night and while good hifi wise its really from OK onwardsit starts sounding great...which is as they move away from the rock sound. The title track on Kid A??!!

Muse's later albums sound good, quite clean and hifi.

Doves sound good too, but again i suppose its not that straighforward rock sound. I guess i am more alternative than straight out rock. Always good to put some Creedence on though, but i would say that. " That rug really tied the room together!"
emotion-5.gif

Radiohead ... Amnesiac, OK computer and hail to the thief are on my list as well produced albums

T

the record spot

Based on excellent production and likewise mastering, draw some joy from the following albums, try and get the first editions (i.e. pre-remasters):-

Joni Mitchell "Night Ride Home"
Rickie Lee Jones - debut
Genesis - "A Trick of the Tail" (US/Japan Atco 38101-2 is the pick)

Almost anything manufactured or mastered by Nimbus (check for the "Mastered by Nimbus" on the inner ring of the disc), DADC (sometimes Sony DADC, DADC Austria or similar), Barry Diament, Steve Hoffman, Bernie Grundman, and Joe Gastwirt. I tend to check for those names and it means I can try out something new. Rarely disappointed as a consequence and you get to hear new music too at times.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Based on excellent production and likewise mastering, draw some joy from the following albums, try and get the first editions (i.e. pre-remasters):- Joni Mitchell "Night Ride Home" Rickie Lee Jones - debut Genesis - "A Trick of the Tail" (US/Japan Atco 38101-2 is the pick) Almost anything manufactured or mastered by Nimbus (check for the "Mastered by Nimbus" on the inner ring of the disc), DADC (sometimes Sony DADC, DADC Austria or similar), Barry Diament, Steve Hoffman, Bernie Grundman, and Joe Gastwirt. I tend to check for those names and it means I can try out something new. Rarely disappointed as a consequence and you get to hear new music too at times.

if you type the following on the spotify search box:

label:nimbus

all the cd's on spotify that were produced by nimbus (which are avail on spotify) appear on the list

only learned that the other day ... (have heard spotify advertise this feature several times and never really took notice)

A

Anonymous

dim_span:

I seem to recall some public disatisfaction of the first CD transfer, but I might just be confusing sound quality with the removal of vocal overdubs (which definately did occur on the first CD release)? I no longer have that version to compare.

Anywho... I seem to recall reading that Maureen Tucker always said you really have to listen to it in mono.

T

the record spot

dim_span:

if you type the following on the spotify search box:

label:nimbus

all the cd's on spotify that were produced by nimbus (which are avail on spotify) appear on the list

only learned that the other day ... (have heard spotify advertise this feature several times and never really took notice)

Ah, should clarify, this is Nimbus Mastering (now ODC Nimbus) over and above the record label (same outfit, different wing I think). Either way, they're good. Fascinating history too:-

http://www.optical-disc.com/nimbushistory.htm

A

Anonymous

Manassas:dim_span:

I seem to recall some public disatisfaction of the first CD transfer, but I might just be confusing sound quality with the removal of vocal overdubs (which definately did occur on the first CD release)? I no longer have that version to compare.

Anywho... I seem to recall reading that Maureen Tucker always said you really have to listen to it in mono.

here is a link to wikipedia with loads of info

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
Yeah so evidently i can't post images!
Can anyone tell me why i don't have permission to post photos and/ or smileys please?

My entry incidently is Supertramp's Breakfast in America.

Cheers

Miggs

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
There is a album that I keep coming back to over and over again.

Going for the one - by YES. It has some fantastic sounding songs on there. Parallels being one of the best.

Miggs.

PS: So much choice with this one though.

A

Anonymous

I'm gonna throw in to the mix -

ALICE IN CHAINS - MTV Unplugged

Korn - MTV Unplugged

Both actually allow the acoustic of the gig through ..... on a system that will allow it to shine through!

Also.

Evanescence - Fallen

Nickelback - Dark Horse - feel the bass slam .....

A

Anonymous

What never stops amazing me, is all the dull music people listen to, in their quest for "good sound"... It's like reading rubbish novels in a quest for the ultimate typography...

Miggs

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Fahnsen, You seem to think that the good people hear listen to a load of rubbish. Tell us all what you listen to then and let us be the judge.

Miggs.

A

Anonymous

Fahnsen:What never stops amazing me, is all the dull music people listen to, in their quest for "good sound"... It's like reading rubbish novels in a quest for the ultimate typography...

Usually people like the music they like and have to accept the sound quality it's recorded in ...... rather than picking their music for the sound quality.

I too would like to know what you listen to ...... as opposed to judging other's with no admission on your own part... !!??

You never know, if it's that good, some others here would probably like a chance to hear it!

A

Anonymous

BigAir:Usually people like the music they like and have to accept the sound quality it's recorded in ...... rather than picking their music for the sound quality.
That's my point exactly. But reading hi-fi discussion groups, as well as knowing many 'audiophiles', gives me a strong impression that many people are more interested in their equipment, than in the music it's made to reproduce.

I too would like to know what you listen to ...... as opposed to judging other's with no admission on your own part... !!??

I listen to a very broad range of music, from punk rock to medieval music. It's easier to tell what I normally don't listen to, than to list my favourites.

Anyway, rock isn't about smooth sound. Link Wray penetrated his speaker cones to make his guitar sound the way he wanted. Later guitarists added electronic distortion to achieve similar effects. Veteran rock musicians have lamented the development in studio technology. Many of the best rock albums have lousy sound, and were meant to be like that. Some of my favourites rock recordings are made on portable cassette players...

So what I meant to say, could perhaps be expressed like this:

'Best sounding' and 'rock album' is very much a contradiction in terms. Demanding 'sound quality' on a rock album, is something like demanding basement-rocking synth bass on a medieval ballad recording.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts