Best Sounding Class D?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

manicm

😂 Only slightly pompous....

I agree more watts is a good thing but how many do actually need?
As you well know it very much depends on the type of music you listen to and especially it's recorded dynamic range. Also the sensitivity of your speakers and your preferred listening levels. Bass heavy techno has about 50 times the power requirement compared to a classical string quartet.

View: https://youtu.be/N2LPcU35r50

Tarun doesn't really contradict anything I say. Thing is modern European speakers are not that sensitive, neither that efficient - a consequence of balancing design and sound quality.

Which is why I find myself drawn more and more to Klipsch speakers, and they've just launched updated ranges.

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site

This is also silver soldered. I just wish UK was in europe, because of taxes

This is also silver soldered. I just wish UK was in europe, because of taxes
That's not technically silver solder...

Reactions: CleanCopperz

superjimbo

May 26, 2022
Visit site
Have a look for second hand Bel Canto stuff. I have one of their integrated amps, including a DAC and it's great. They also do monoblocks but they might be rare. All class D. My integrated is split and has 2 300w amps inside, I think all their integrated amps are the same.

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
Have a look for second hand Bel Canto stuff. I have one of their integrated amps, including a DAC and it's great. They also do monoblocks but they might be rare. All class D. My integrated is split and has 2 300w amps inside, I think all their integrated amps are the same.
Hi

Thanks for the recommendation. What is the model you havw?

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
Hi Cleancopperz, have you done a review here anywhere of your active atcs? Ive had a look but cant find one. Im interested on your impressions. Cheers!

I am so impressed I can not describe it. The low end on these speakers has its own world. Its analytical, fast clean, the mid tone is floating, creamy and thick.

The 40A is soo responsive, I feel the speed of the bass. It feels like an really active, active speaker. I have had alot of active speakers(class D) they were not this close to the speed ... I don´t know if the responsivenes is because they are A/B, but I can clearly hear it. First time I have bought A/B btw.

...I still have SCM7, which I am planning to pair with a subwoofer an a good amp when I can afford it. Right now Im using some money on acoustic treatment(DIY).

I have the RME DC FS, its ok. Its decent. Im looking for a dac that can bring some more separation and a preamp that is not digital. I am going to test the ATC CDA2 up against the RME.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I am so impressed I can not describe it. The low end on these speakers has its own world. Its analytical, fast clean, the mid tone is floating, creamy and thick.

The 40A is soo responsive, I feel the speed of the bass. It feels like an really active, active speaker. I have had alot of active speakers(class D) they were not this close to the speed ... I don´t know if the responsivenes is because they are A/B, but I can clearly hear it. First time I have bought A/B btw.

...I still have SCM7, which I am planning to pair with a subwoofer an a good amp when I can afford it. Right now Im using some money on acoustic treatment(DIY).

I have the RME DC FS, its ok. Its decent. Im looking for a dac that can bring some more separation and a preamp that is not digital. I am going to test the ATC CDA2 up against the RME.
Great stuff. The reviews ive seen have all been extremely positive. Some mention low level listening can be only real concern. I often at low/very low levels. Do you confirm that they need turned up a little to get them to open up?

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
Well worth that wait. Congratulations!
Totally I just need a good DAC,.....Thinking of Rupert Neve Fidelice.

Great stuff. The reviews ive seen have all been extremely positive. Some mention low level listening can be only real concern. I often at low/very low levels. Do you confirm that they need turned up a little to get them to open up?

It depends on how low I should go I will test it in the coming weekend. Maybe I have not noticed it because I use the loudness function on the RME.

I think this speaker needs a good preamp, not a digital one like in the RME. I hope I get to try the RN Fidelice.

Reactions: radiorog

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
Just to make my own conclusion. 40A is amazing. I think the low level volume issue may be related to "poor" preamplification.

These speakers, and the right room/treatment. I think nothing can beat them, even speakers at 5000dollars over the 40A price.

40A is the sweetspot. The taste of good HiFi

....The SCM7 is the gateway, very underrated(I am gonna try buying a sub and amp when I can afford it for the 7)....Then I am comparing the price for passive vs active.....Active is just the way to go. Passive amps are pricey. No amp will come close the the Active...

...Especially when 40A is the consideration. Forget the passive if you are thinking of buying an amp and the price is matching the actives. The active has an insane speed in the low end. The mids are creamy thick and orgranic.

Short said about the 40A. It tells you exactly what it is doing. You are not missing out on anything.

TRENDING THREADS