Best Sounding Class D?

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
Hi there

I need recommendations on the best Class D amp.

8ohms 200-300wpc…even more if possible.

remote control is important(on/off, volume)

Max 2500euro

is it possible?

shadders

Hi,
To create a shortlist, then maybe use a google search of reviews, and audition at a hifi dealer, unless others on here have experience of commercial class D amplifiers for the shortlist.

Nord are a good implementer of the Hypex and Purifi class D modules, but they do not provide a loan scheme before purchase.

Whether the amplifier is best or not is dependent on your subjective taste and listening of the amplifier.

If i was purchasing an existing solution, then i would probably go for the Purifi based amplifier as the performance is one of the best Class D amplifier modules.

Regards,
Shadders.

Reactions: CleanCopperz

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
Thank you all for the replies. It is appreciated🙏

my speakers are ATC SCM7 they recommend 8ohms 75-300watts

maybe I dont need 300 😊

Edit:
I have had my eyes on purifi for a long time but yesterday I read a review with the ATC SCM40. Purifi came out weak in the lowend. Lifeless.

right now Im using sta-1000D I think its suits the SCM7. Clean.

Last edited:

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
Look for SMSL VMV, various models.
I am not selling, just trying to get the best sound for my buck.
For ex. Loxjie A30 is a hit.

But they are Class A? Thats forbidden in my house. I don’t accept it. Class A uses too much power and is not efficient vs sound quality…imo

NAD is supposed to be pretty neutral.

High end M23.
Midrange the C298, I read one excellent review of it.

I did look for them before. They do have remote right? … I will google them anyway :)

Thank you all for the replies. It is appreciated🙏

my speakers are ATC SCM7 they recommend 8ohms 75-300watts

maybe I dont need 300 😊

Edit:
I have had my eyes on purifi for a long time but yesterday I read a review with the ATC SCM40. Purifi came out weak in the lowend. Lifeless.

right now Im using sta-1000D I think its suits the SCM7. Clean.

You definitely don’t ‘need’ 300 watts, but they won’t blow up if you use that much. My Hypex NCore-based Nord power amp has plenty of low-end - and everything else for that matter - powering my SCM40s.

BTW, don’t believe everything you read, including what I write.

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
You definitely don’t ‘need’ 300 watts, but they won’t blow up if you use that much. My Hypex NCore-based Nord power amp has plenty of low-end - and everything else for that matter - powering my SCM40s.

BTW, don’t believe everything you read, including what I write.

wow! Ok. That info what I just needed. I am actually in dilemma now that the Buchardt S400mk2 is out, but it is a different monitor I know.

I am waiting move to a bigger apartment. The monitors that I am thinking of is:

1. ATC SCM19(latest)
2. Buchardt S400 mk2
3. ATC SCM40s

I really want the ATC SCM40s the most, but how big room do I need for them?

I only consider the other two because I know I need bigger than the scm7 when I move

I thought all SMSL is class D, sorry.

They have class d also I see.

I really want the ATC SCM40s the most, but how big room do I need for them?
I’ve only heard them at length in my own room, which is 7 metres long by 3.5 metre wide. I sit about halfway back (down the length) and about 2.6 metres away, the speakers being about 80cm from the front wall, measured from the front of the speakers.

The demo room I auditioned them in was probably about 5 metres long. However, I have a friend with some, and his listens across a room and sits barely 2 metres away - and they’re fine.

Being sealed boxes, like your SCM7, they can tolerate pretty close proximity to the front wall, though you’d not want them crammed into a corner - not great for any speaker. The manual for yours probably contains the same advice for all the Entry series.

How much space do you have?

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
Class A/B or even G don't use much more power if you turn them off once finished with.
If you think it has to be Class D or nothing then you are clearly not taking into account the power the rest of your kit is using....
What do you mean the rest of your kit?

NAS 15watt
PC 10watt(j5040)
DAC 5watts with builtin preamp

I’ve only heard them at length in my own room, which is 7 metres long by 3.5 metre wide. I sit about halfway back (down the length) and about 2.6 metres away, the speakers being about 80cm from the front wall, measured from the front of the speakers.

The demo room I auditioned them in was probably about 5 metres long. However, I have a friend with some, and his listens across a room and sits barely 2 metres away - and they’re fine.

Being sealed boxes, like your SCM7, they can tolerate pretty close proximity to the front wall, though you’d not want them crammed into a corner - not great for any speaker. The manual for yours probably contains the same advice for all the Entry series.

How much space do you have?

ok then I have room for it. 6m x 5m.

Tinman1952

They can amp the atc scm40???

if so I wanna know
Speaker manufacturer ratings quote the maximum recommended power rating....but remember at most 'normal' listening levels you are only drawing about 2 or 3 watts. Sensitivity rating of speakers are quoted at 1 watt per metre so 86 dB sensitivity means that standing 1 metre from your speakers, one watt will generate 86dB of sound. That's higher than I listen at...I would find it painful.
It's really current output of the amp which drives speakers....
So thinking you need 300 watts is just misguided.

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
Speaker manufacturer ratings quote the maximum recommended power rating....but remember at most 'normal' listening levels you are only drawing about 2 or 3 watts. Sensitivity rating of speakers are quoted at 1 watt per metre so 86 dB sensitivity means that standing 1 metre from your speakers, one watt will generate 86dB of sound. That's higher than I listen at...I would find it painful.
It's really current output of the amp which drives speakers....
So thinking you need 300 watts is just misguided.

I also heard that there is difference in the “quality” of watts. They differ from amp to amp. Low does not mean weak in some cases, says my local dealer.

I don’t hear loud music, so if 20watt class A is enough I will consider it

TRENDING THREADS