Best sound quality via USB DAC

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have setup the DacMagic via USB from my Thinkpad to play apple lossless and mp3 files. All I have done so far is plug in the USB cable and change the setting in Sounds in Vista for audio to go to USB and have disabled the Windows sounds. I have been using Winamp and iTunes but will be switching to Foobar to give it a try.

As I understand, this setup bypasses the soundcard - since when I change the volume in the sound mixer in Vista the sound level doesn't change. However, I have been reading about ASIO, Kernel Streaming, WASAPI, etc for bypassing Vista's mixer and getting better/original audio quality. As I see WASAPI is not an option since that still involves a soundcard.

How about the other two? Please advise.

John Duncan

I thought Vista had got rid of KMixer and therefore you were talking to the soundcard directly? Might be wrong - may need to do some research on this subject (though only for curiosity's sake, seeing as I have a (superior
emotion-5.gif
) Mac).......

A

Anonymous

Thanks Chebby!! I had done most of these already but didn't hurt to go over all the mods again.

I then installed Foobar, ASIO4ALL and ASIOout dll file, Foobar's own WASAPI and Kernel plug-ins. I setup Winamp to use ASIO4ALL v2.9 and Foobar is setup to run any of the mentioned above.

I also intend to re-route iTunes so it plays off Foobar rather than Quicktime. I didn't get to test the sounds at decent volumes as it was late but will soon.

EDIT: Just checked and the multi-plugin for iTunes that enabled it to be powered by Foobar is not available for iTunes 8 - the developer stopped at version 7 as every new update of iTunes "breaks" the plugin.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Are you just seeking to ensure you have every setting optimal (ie covering all the bases) or does your playback actually have some real problem?

I find (even with XP Pro) that - with all the settings in my last post correct - the sound via USB is excellent with everything from Internet radio to Lossless files and 256K iTunes+ AAC downloads.

You mentioned altering volume on the laptop. I would not. I keep laptop system's volume at max ('unity gain' is the posh term) and only use the hifi to alter the volume.

With the latest DAC I have noticed it completely ignores the laptop/system master volume anyway. It can be set to anything and the DAC is oblivious to it. But I still keep it set to max out of habit.

A

Anonymous

Two things - I first kept hearing some hissing sounds at moderate volumes and on top wanted to cover all the bases. After testing with various songs, I think the hissing is from the records. But covering all the bases doesn't hurt either - after such a high monetary investment it is worth to put a few hours in to make sure i get the best possible sound quality I can get.

The volume on the laptop is disabled when using USB, you are right. When using ASIO on Winamp, Winamp's own volume control is disabled too.

A

Anonymous

Do you not need a decent sound card for your PC to go to the DAC? Could someone explain this to me before i confuse myself even more, the system bus issue is my main concern

A

Anonymous

When following these settings, the key configuration is under the Advanced Tab | Exclusive Mode. You need both of the available settings checked to get the benefts from WASAPI. Indeed, as long as these are set, all other settings are irrelevant when using WASAPI.

PJPro - which 2 settings were you referring to? Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts