Best Songs to Test Speakers

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
It's all well and good testing albums/tracks that make your system sound great, but it's equally as important to test tracks that sound s##t on your current set-up. If some tracks, for example, sound analytical or sterile, the aim is to find the balance between detailed and emotion.

Whenever I dem an amp or speakers I always take some real shockers.

insider9

plastic penguin said:
It's all well and good testing albums/tracks that make your system sound great, but it's equally as important to test tracks that sound s##t on your current set-up. If some tracks, for example, sound analytical or sterile, the aim is to find the balance between detailed and emotion.

Very good point!

Having previously listened to some of WHF playlists on Tidal I'd say there's more shockers than actually good material on them :biggrin:

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
There is not such things as "what is the best album to try out system". Everyone has their favourite album that has been listened to thousands of times. You test each new system with exactly such albums of yours. I.E. each album has its own studio original sound - what we get at home is something extremely way apart from this. That is why over the years you get this knowdlege how this album should sound like - and when you test it with each new system you can straight off hear this discrepancy between this album's original studio sound and what is presented on a hi fi system. Conclusion - the less division between the Hi Fi system and album's studio sound the better this tested Hi Fi system is.

plastic penguin said:

Agreed. I always recommend people to bring along music they think sounds bad.

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I used a range of music from many genres, to stress the system, including popular vocal, classical vocal, jazz, folk acoustic, reggae, classic rock, heavy metal and electronic. With a cheap system you might get sibilance for example, or muddiness, with better systems it's the overall balance.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
It's all very well saying that this song/track/album will test your system but wouldn't it be more helpful if the listener knew what they should be hearing or how it should sound?
My wife thinks audio nirvana is Dirty Dancing soundtrack on her Pure Cronos clock radio cd player.
Maybe saying (made up example) on Pig (three different ones) at 3 min 48s you can hear Nick Mason drop his pen on a share drum would be useful?

There will be certain albums or tracks that can physically test your system, with the results being measurable or blatantly audible, but the problem is that we all listen for different things. Person A is listening for an easy going tone that they can relax to, with no harshness or sharp edges - he might not care about subtle details. Person B is a detail person - he doesn't care about whether what he's hearing sounds natural in any way or has any sort of emotion to it, he just wants to hear the lead singer scratching his ass between lines. Person C is listening out for the soundstage, and correct placement of large orchestras. Person D is after a fast, tight sound, void of character but rich in timing. I could go on (I'm sure someone will throw in some amusing ones), and some people might want a number of those characteristics together. You get the point. With any number of system combinations out there, some satisfy, some don't, it just depends what you want the system to do, or what you want from the system.

There are some speakers I don't like the sound of when they're not driven properly - when they are, they're amongst my favourite speakers - other people may prefer them when they're not driven properly. How should these albums sound on a system that suits any one person's preference? Do they still show the system's strengths? I have albums I use, either because I like the balance, or like the way the drums sound, or the vocals sound like they're in the room. Much of the time it'll come down to what you know, as you can't really assess a system with music you've never heard before and don't know (other than if the instruments sound realistic, if you have experience of those instruments of course).

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site

I have a feeling you were being humorous or ironic. Is an audiophile someone with cheesy tastes in music? *biggrin*

Surely it's best to use music you like? I would include:

Shostakovich Symphony No. 14 (deep male singing),

Shostakovich Symphony No. 15 (orchestral work),

Miles Davis Blue would do.

Joni Mitchell, high female voice

Motorhead, badly recorded heavy metal

John Renbourn, acoustic folk

Jimi Hendrix, classic rock.

But who gives a fig what I use, if you grimace when it plays, it ain't no use.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
MI0002490925.jpg

MI0003515830.jpg

MI0004120257.jpg

MI0001555072.jpg

APP090.jpg

MFSL45-011-2.jpg

MI0003237416.jpg

928a.jpg

9630c1aa8a91461ca977bd9d0989eea4

time-out.jpg

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Leif said:

I have a feeling you were being humorous or ironic. Is an audiophile someone with cheesy tastes in music? *biggrin*

I use June Tabor for female vocals. Give her a spin.

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Leif said:

I use June Tabor for female vocals. Give her a spin.

Oooh, very nice. You don't get commission from Amazon do you? *biggrin* That reminds me, I must get some Sandy Denny, and t'other female folk singers too.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I listen to any and all types of music, if it sounds realistic and alive and it sends that very pleasant tingley sensation through your body from head to toe then your system is doing a good job imo .*good*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The trouble with female vocals is that most (almost all) are over produced or/and there's too much instrumental content drowning it. June's voice is left almost raw and the style of music is minimalistic folky and story telling. The color of her contralto voice is very pleasant, natural, no operetic acrobatics or excessive vibrato. When I want more dramatic mezzo-soprano popping I go for Joss Stone, it's the sibilance test.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
MI0001631699.jpg

The Band Played Waltzing Matilda

And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda is a song written by Scottish-born Australian singer-songwriter Eric Bogle in 1971. The song describes war as futile and gruesome, while criticising those who seek to glorify it. The song has been praised for its imagery, evoking the devastation at the Gallipoli Landings. The protagonist, who had travelled across rural Australia before the war, is emotionally devastated by the loss of his legs in battle. As the years pass he notes the death of other veterans, while the younger generation becomes apathetic to the veterans and their cause.

Alim Qasimov...loves deep ocean........for a pure voice nothing comes close...probably the most well regarded mugham singer/chanter on the planet.

Malcom Arnold. Tam "o" Shanter overture....I remember my music teacher playing the class this a long time ago now.with spine tingling a plenty ,it's a great piece of music for a system workout. and I recently stumbled on it via Spotify....with a healthy choice of orchestra's to choose from .just have a copy of Robert Burns tam o Shanter at hand to guide you through the composition.lol.

Ps interpreters might be required for both.....but hey who cares...it's about the music right and that's a universal language.lol.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Alim Qasimov...loves deep ocean........for a pure voice nothing comes close...probably the most well regarded mugham singer/chanter on the planet.

I can't stand this style of music. Reminds me of 70s and 80s turkish cinematography. Tragedy, tears and Burt Reynolds stache'n'mullets.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts