Best settings for ripping CDs to an iPod

I've recently discovered the Apple Lossless format on iTunes, and have now been ripping all of my CDs onto that (previously I was using AAC and its standard settings), as I know it will give the best audio quality, but I want to know if it'll be worth it if I'm just putting them onto my iPod Touch 5th Gen. It's only 32GB and each album ripped onto Apple Lossless takes up around a third of a gig. I've read in some places that human ears usually can't tell the difference between lossless and something like AAC (at the best settings), and I only use a simple iLuv AUD3 speaker (and ocassionally my old Sony MDR-W10 and MDR-A10 earphones) to listen to my music. So, the two choices are AAC at 320kbps @ 44.100kHz or Apple Lossless; which one would be best for me?

jjbomber

James Sturgess said:
So, the two choices are AAC at 320kbps @ 44.100kHz or Apple Lossless; which one would be best for me?

Just rip a few of your favourite albums in both and see if you can tell the difference. If it's itunes, it's 256kbps. If you can't tell the difference, go with 256kbps. If you can, then go with ALAC.

iMark

If you rip your CDs in Apple Lossless in iTunes, you can set iTunes to automatically convert the files to AAC 256 kbps (or 128 or 192) while copying to your iPod.

When your iPod is connected to your computer you can set this in the options: Convert higher bitrate songs to 128, 192 or 256 kbps AAC. This way you keep only Apple Lossless files in your library but you don't copy the files to your iPod. We find this extremely convenient.

iMark

I agree. We're happy with the sound of 256kbps AAC on our iPods. Apple Lossless is for streaming to the Airport Express.

Here's another tip: set iTunes to rip with error correction on. This way you get the best Apple Lossless files possible, especially with CDs that may have a few scratches. But even brand new CDs will give better files. It's slows the process down a bit, but it's worth the extra time because you only want to rip once in your life.

I've now ripped all of my CDs to Apple Lossless with Error Correction, and have ticked the setting to convert the files to 256kbps when they're put onto my iPod. Now though, after syncing with my iPod, I found that some of the songs transferred over appear but do not work and are simply skipped when it comes to them. Does anyone know anything about this problem? Could it be a problem with the Lightning Port?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts