Best produced albums in your collection?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

+1 for Buena Vista Social Club Live at Carnegie Hall. It's an utterly brilliant album that I never, ever get tired of listening to. It's an album that everyone should own, IMHO. I can't honestly imagine anyone not liking it - it just has a universal appeal. It was a double cd release too, and will sound amazing on any half decent system. Why didn't they ever release it on dvd?

Cliff1

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
I think i'm from a different era to most of you but here goes.Just a few.

Songs For Swingin Lovers. Frank Sinatra

Gracelands.Paul Simon

Round Midnight. Linda Ronstadt

Bread Winners. Jack Jones

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
from the top of my head, blue october - foiled, ray lamontagne - till the sun turns black, biffy clyro - puzzle, later live with jools holland, robert plant + alison krauss - raising sand, richard hawley - truelove's gutter. agree with the shouts for gomez, leftfield, radiohead etc.

the_dude2

Aug 25, 2007
Visit site
I think In Rainbows by Radiohead sounds excellent, a lot of Tori Amos (certainly not the first album though), and Its Blitz! by Yeah Yeah Yeahs.Oh, and some Elbow (dont like the last album much though) And a few others that wont come to me right now.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Off the top of my head: Fleetwood Mac, who apparently spent several days getting the drum sound they were happy with for Rumours. Tusk is a gorgeously-produced album and the cover/sleeve art isn't too shabby either.

Someone who takes meticulous care home producing his own albums is John Vanderslice. He favours the analogue tape process to record and all his albums are a sonic treat.

The Eagles? Certainly a lot more artists and bands I can't think of right now.

A

Anonymous

I must have got a duff Tusk - I remember all the hype and my copy sounded like recorded in a dustbin, replayed in Old Trafford. Safe but solid (and I realise, having bought a Volvo XC60 and falling in love with it, I really am a boring old fart), Sade and Mike Oldfield plus of course pretty well every Unplugged....

A

Anonymous

plus Supertramp, Roxy Music, Robin Trower, Spyrogyro, Rick Wakeman, Yes .... I'm thinking - stuff that always seems to sound good no matter what I'm listening to it on - isn't that the secret of a winning mix?

A

Anonymous

I have most of the fleetwood mac cd's .... the one that I think is the best produced is the very 1st one just called Fleetwood Mac (with Peter Green) ... not saying that it was their best, just speaking as regards the recording/ soundstage etc

T

the record spot

Better come up with a few titles myself I think:-

Joni Mitchell - Night Ride Home
Yes - The Yes Album (first edition, pre-remasters)
Genesis - A Trick of the Tail and Duke (pre-remasters)

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
tonightsthenight.jpg

As live and immediate a sound as I own.

0765.jpg

Tastefully chaotic.

00_01+-+Stereolab+-+1993+-+Transient+Random-Noise+Bursts+With+Announcements+%5Bfront%5D.jpg

Pristine, like a indie-pop laboratory.

A

Anonymous

Svendsen:
Hi,

Lotïs of good suggestions here. By the way, does anyone else think that almost ALL U2 cdïs are poorly produced/mixed?

Zooropa is very well produced/mastered, great album too.

The Joshua Tree reissue is pretty good too. Listen to the drum intro on Bullet the Blue Sky.

jules.

A

Anonymous

Craig M.:biffy clyro - puzzle

Only Revolutions is the better produced and generally a better CD, I feel.
emotion-1.gif

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
you might be right, i just love the first track on puzzle though - i nearly left teeth marks in the ceiling first time i played it
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I have a bit of a different outlook. Of course I like to listen to well recorded albums, but I won't let my hi-fi system dictate what kind of music I like. I would rather try to build a system that is on the one hand hi-res but on the other is also forgiving of poor recordings. That way I can listen to what I truly love. But yeah, some albums just won't sound very good and I'll have to listen to them on a lower res system like my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1. It's not the end of the world.

A

Anonymous

I have a wide music collection - most stuff except country and western -

most madonna albums sound really good particularly her collection CD the blue cover from about 1990, unfortunately Jamiroquai(?) Travelling without moving is such a sonic letdown.

Orbital - The Box, super

Most Pink Floyd - especially Wish you were here

Jamie Callum twenty something

and here's a quirky album to try if you fancy something different The Duckworth Lewis Method, sounds good too!

Cambridge Audio 740A, Cambridge Audio DAC and DiscMagic, Monitor Audio Silver RX6, Chord Chameleon Silver Plus, Chord Odyssey 4

A

Anonymous

Soul Jacker - Eels

Soul Mining - The The

For a long time now I have used these two albums to audition gear or show off my system to friends and never noticed the 'soul' connection.Production on both is top notch.Soul Jacker is an especially good disc because of the varied styles of music on it.There's the grungy opener 'dog faced boy' to the soul (there I go again) searching 'bus stop boxer'.Even the wife likes it and she's into spandex rock
emotion-43.gif

A

Anonymous

Michael Jackson sounds good, and Boards of Canada are very well produced. I also like Jaco Pastorius in Joni Mitchell's 'Jericho' and Weather Report.

A

Anonymous

• some current favourites are for me anyway - DAVE GILMOUR - ON AN ISLAND , MARILLION - MARBLES , JENNIFER WARNES - FAMOUS BLUE RAINCOAT , FOLK SINGER - MUDDY WATERS all are well produced and sound great on my system,primare cd31,i30 and sonique diamond 750se speakers.

A

Anonymous

pommie steve:MARILLION - MARBLES

Yes, and the latest Happiness is the Road - Essence/Hard Shoulder pack is an amazing recording too (and not just because because I am in the credits as a pre-buyer to fund the release!). Also, all their remasters sound excellent, as very much care has been put into them - for me, particularly Brave.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Thievery Corporation - Sounds from the Thievery Hi Fi

Kid Loco - A Grand Love Story

REM - Up

George Michael - Listen Without Prejudice

John Duncan

roten:Tears For Fears - Songs From The Big Chair

Good call, trond, which has reminded me - Sowing the Seeds of Love.

roten:Most Rush albums

You sure? Much as I love them, they don't jump out at me. Some of Moving Pictures, yes, but not much else.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts