Best movie to demonstrate surround sound system?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
+1 for Saving Private Ryan

Master and Commander

Blade Runner

*The Bourne Identity (relatively subtle/low-key, but very effective)

The Bourne Ultimatum (esp. NY car chase)

Into the Blue (underwater sequences)

Alien ("Here kitty, kitty...")

I Robot

Cars

*And The Bourne Identity also has two sound FX anomalies:

1) During the final reel, just after "the asset's" (aka bloke with a big nose who says now't) airport handover, it cuts to an aerial view of Paris / the Eiffel Tower at dusk, at which point the soundtrack includes a chorus of chirrping crickets. Huh??

2) During the exterior shot of Marie's Mykonos café, the Flipper-style chattering of a dolphin is heard. Granted, a dolphin in the Med is not unherad of, but it's not exactly synonymous :?

D

Deleted member 2457

Pear Harbor, Top Gun, The Dark Knight Rises, Gladiator and to be honest there are loads these days. All the new ones are normally good.

D

Deleted member 2457

Might as well just add Star Wars for good measure.
smiley-smile.gif

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Transformers 3 is the most complete sound track I think I have heard - fully immersive and incredibly detailed / crisp

Tron for bass testing / demonstration.

Skyfall has a very intricate and musical soundtrack with some very good effects - its a very realistic sounding soundtrack

I am hoping / expecting big things from the Hobbit thats been downstairs waiting for me since yesterday - just need 2.5 hours free now to watch it

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Depends what sort of aspect of a movie's soundtrack you're looking to highlight. Animated movies tend to show how clean and dynamic a soundtrack can be, so films like Kung Fu Panda and The Incredibles are good for this, and are also good for showing how clear dialogue can be. Busy film soundtracks like Hot Fuzz are like those muddles sounding CD's that sound perfect on better equipment. Se7en and Zodiac are good tests for dialogue, as they contain some very quiet dialogue in places that is just lost on most systems. The new 'near field' mix for the Criterion edition of The Game is excellent in many ways, especially dialogue(bar a few scenes), just like Sin City. Tron is almost constant bass, and requires a good system in order to achieve bass definition. Brave and Se7en has great atmosphere. Fight Club has some great scenes (the plane and car ones - not saying specifics in case anyone hasn't seen it).

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
+1 for tron legacy (especially the fight scene in the club)

And there's always The Matrix (the lobby gun fight in particular)

Or the opening car chase from Quantum of Solace - if that engine noise doesn't make you want an Aston Martin then nothing will!

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Train crash in Super 8.

Parts of Band of Brothers if you are into bullets etc flying around the lounge.

Just been watching some of The Pacific and the way the thunder rolls around the room is really lifelike.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
+1 for Quantum of Solace - the car chase at the begining.

Also +1 for Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol - in the sand storm - the sand was swirling around my room - I thought I would have to clean it up afterwards!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
mr malarky said:
Or the opening car chase from Quantum of Solace - if that engine noise doesn't make you want an Aston Martin then nothing will!

I'll see your Aston Martin & raise you the Chevy from 'Jack Reacher' (A late '60s Chevelle SS IIRC).

If the sound at the cinema is anything to go by, this could be the best sounding car in home movie history!

TRENDING THREADS