Best Media player for CD rips

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Lads and Ladesses, what would you recommend as the best media player for CD rips? I have used itunes but not happy with the laggy coverflow and some of the sound quality is patchy to say the least- yes I have used Apple lossles as well

Would be for a Windows 7 machine with nothing on it apart from the music stuff

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
What format do you use most? Have you settled on your choice of formats yet?

I must admit I'm confused as to how itunes apple lossless rips sound patchy, though I don't use it myself...

SteveR750

If you are using Windows 7 then I'd recommend J River Media Centre. It's about $40 to purchase, has excellent on line support, and will transform a windows PC into something quite special. You can rip in several formats, including FLAC which is what I use, it will read apple lossless files, it has a good error correction which is customiseable. However, this is assuming you use an optical connection to the DAC, I'm not sure how much interference Windows would create if you use a USB connection.

A

Anonymous

I have used MediaMonkey, Foobar, Windows Media Player, and some others (XBMC, WinAmp) briefly on W7, mostly with lossless flac or wma and find no differences whatsoever in SQ (if properly set up, do no digital effects, volume 100%, balance halfway) using USB DAC. MediaMonkey is easiest to use out of the box, imho, new version coming up soon they say.

Problems can arise (interruptions) due to bad drivers in your system, background operations and update downloads etc, but in general it works fine. Including gapless playback that some expensive dedicated mediaplayers do not master, so I have learned to my surprise. All are free, at least in some versions, so you can try for yourself. Biggest differences are in management of the collection, tagging, options for remote controllers, dlna options, but for playing they all work fine.

A

Anonymous

I always use EAC (Exact Audio Copy). It has excellent error-detection etc and automatic ripping speed optimisation. The setup, which figures out various things about your drive, always inspires extra confidence too

SteveR750

Pete10 said:
I have used MediaMonkey, Foobar, Windows Media Player, and some others (XBMC, WinAmp) briefly on W7, mostly with lossless flac or wma and find no differences whatsoever in SQ (if properly set up, do no digital effects, volume 100%, balance halfway) using USB DAC. MediaMonkey is easiest to use out of the box, imho, new version coming up soon they say.

Problems can arise (interruptions) due to bad drivers in your system, background operations and update downloads etc, but in general it works fine. Including gapless playback that some expensive dedicated mediaplayers do not master, so I have learned to my surprise. All are free, at least in some versions, so you can try for yourself. Biggest differences are in management of the collection, tagging, options for remote controllers, dlna options, but for playing they all work fine.

Which is why a programme that bypasses all of Windows programmes make a big difference. Media Centre will bypass all windows sub programmes, and take sole control over the soundcard. it's a pain if you keep switching between Spotify and MC because you have to reset the default sound card mode in w7, but the sonic gains are more than worth it. Not sure about media monkey, but WMP cannot ever be configured to be bit-perfect, though I thought foobar could. EAC is a pain as it takes so long as tagging is such a chore - so long as error correction is on, then pretty much any ripper will suffice providing it will save in the file type you want.

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I use dBpoweramp for ripping (it has an online "Accuraterip" database so you can check if your rips are correct) and JRiver Media Jukebox for replay.

A

Anonymous

SteveR750 said:
Pete10 said:

Which is why a programme that bypasses all of Windows programmes make a big difference. Media Centre will bypass all windows sub programmes, and take sole control over the soundcard. it's a pain if you keep switching between Spotify and MC because you have to reset the default sound card mode in w7, but the sonic gains are more than worth it. Not sure about media monkey, but WMP cannot ever be configured to be bit-perfect, though I thought foobar could. EAC is a pain as it takes so long as tagging is such a chore - so long as error correction is on, then pretty much any ripper will suffice providing it will save in the file type you want.

Sorry, but none of the things you put in bold can be bypassed. MC may access the sound card directly as you say, but the rest of the OS and its operations still continue. For instance, some drivers of wifi cards roam for networks every 60secs, which may cause dropouts if the driver is badly implemented (google dpclat for testing your system).

The claims that under XP bitperfect was not possible because the win sound kernel/mixer always resamples were wrong. There is some mention that under XP even at 100 percent volume there was a slight reduction in volume (i.e. recalculation of sample values, not sample frequency) but I have not seem convincing evidence (apart from the question if this is audible). Anyways, W7 is nowadays perfectly able to produce bitperfect output. With WASAPI, mixing with other sounds can be prevented. Foobar seems to have the best implementation of this at the moment.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Must say I find this all highly educating stuff.

As far as I was concerned, a ripper was a ripper and a player was a player, with the SQ affected only by the format you chose to rip in (MP3, WAV, etc). I thought I had noticed differences, but there was never a time I considered it anything but an illusion.

SteveR750

Pete10 said:
SteveR750 said:
Pete10 said:

Sorry, but none of the things you put in bold can be bypassed. MC may access the sound card directly as you say, but the rest of the OS and its operations still continue. For instance, some drivers of wifi cards roam for networks every 60secs, which may cause dropouts if the driver is badly implemented (google dpclat for testing your system).

The claims that under XP bitperfect was not possible because the win sound kernel/mixer always resamples were wrong. There is some mention that under XP even at 100 percent volume there was a slight reduction in volume (i.e. recalculation of sample values, not sample frequency) but I have not seem convincing evidence (apart from the question if this is audible). Anyways, W7 is nowadays perfectly able to produce bitperfect output. With WASAPI, mixing with other sounds can be prevented. Foobar seems to have the best implementation of this at the moment.

You understand it better than I do. I have no idea how XP works, as I am using J River in W7 64 bit, with it configured to WASAPI event style, and about 200ms buffering. I don't suffer from any dropouts, I cannot hear any kind of sonic interference, but then I don't use the PC whilst listeining to music, though it os connected to the wireless network as I use the Gizmo app as a remote controller on my phone. Ultimately, my ears have been the judge, the difference between the PC and the Cyrus was bigger than any source CDP change I have ever made. Plus is saved me the cost of an additional component, as the PC gets used for other things obviously.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I tried WMC today and had no problem switching from it to Spotify.

EDIT - AFAIK WMP in XP and Win7 can be bit perfect with the right faffing.

I use MP3Tag to sort any tagging issues, though most the time there aren't any if DBPoweramp's databeses are right, and if I'm sharp enough to spot any problems before clicking "rip" or whatever it says.*

*Though actually because I'm a fussy beggar there's something I always change using MP3Tag, but thats another story.

A

Anonymous

My experiences with ripping (that is a lot of ripping, and some comparions, always to lossless) can be summarized as follows:

- cleaning cd's prior to ripping can be helpful.

- for the majority of cd's the rip it is not a problem, and different rippers produce the same results.

- accuraterip as implemented in some rippers is helpful to detect cd's that may have a problem. Otherwise problems will go unnoticed until you listen to the rip again (much later, cd's aready in the attic..).

- in cases with problems they can rarely be solved by using other programs (scratches etc).

- most work is in getting the tagging right.

SteveR750

al7478 said:

I use MP3Tag to sort any tagging issues, though most the time there aren't any if DBPoweramp's databeses are right, and if I'm sharp enough to spot any problems before clicking "rip" or whatever it says.*

*Though actually because I'm a fussy beggar there's something I always change using MP3Tag, but thats another story.

Yes but how? "right faffing" is not the same as running a dedicated programme! WMP run in W7 can not be bit perfect AFAIK.

SteveR750

iMark said:
iTunes with error correction on does a pretty good job on a Mac. I imagine it's not bad on Windows either.

AFAIK iTunes on a Mac is a very different proposition than in Windows. iTunes cannot be set to WASAPI in windows, but does have sole control of the optical driver when used on a Mac, so by default will achieve a bit perfect output.

If you consider iTunes/Mac and WMP/PC as integrated solutions, then the mac would probably be in a different league sonically. A PC needs a more sophisticated programme (such as foobar, media monkey, J River etc) to be able to get a bit perfect output.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
O/S - Linux (Ubuntu)

Ripper - Asunder (Even rips protected CDs)

Tagger - Puddletag (Bulk editing spreadsheet style)

Player - XBMC (The best visual interface I have used, bar none and a simple, but effective library. Highly customisable and controllable via remote app)

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
al7478 said:

Yes but how? "right faffing" is not the same as running a dedicated programme! WMP run in W7 can not be bit perfect AFAIK.

Seems I may be wrong with Win7, sorry. Can anyone confirm?

By faffing I just mean its not bit perfect out of the box, like a Mac (as long as you don't do anything wild and crazy like adjust the volume in the digital domain).

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
iMark said:
iTunes with error correction on does a pretty good job on a Mac. I imagine it's not bad on Windows either.

AFAIK iTunes on a Mac is a very different proposition than in Windows. iTunes cannot be set to WASAPI in windows, but does have sole control of the optical driver when used on a Mac, so by default will achieve a bit perfect output.

Optical driver? Sorry can you explain that in baby steps for me?

A

Anonymous

al7478 said:
SteveR750 said:
al7478 said:

Seems I may be wrong with Win7, sorry. Can anyone confirm?

By faffing I just mean its not bit perfect out of the box, like a Mac (as long as you don't do anything wild and crazy like adjust the volume in the digital domain).

Lots of useful information here http://www.whathifi.com/forum/computer-based-music/how-tosetup-foobar2000-to-use-wasapi

A

Anonymous

iMark said:
After reading all this I think I will stick to my MacBook, iTunes and Apple Lossless files. :)

Wouldn't be of much use if you're not running Windows. ;)

SteveR750

al7478 said:
SteveR750 said:
iMark said:

Optical driver? Sorry can you explain that in baby steps for me?

Sorry, I mean the s/pdif optical out on some PCs and MACs. It's part of the PCs "soundcard".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts