Best digital source Sonos or Squeezbox (using an external dac.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys

Im looking to purchase a Naim Nait5 amp with a good dac ie new rega dac or Music fadelity Dac, my question is i want to use a nas drive to hold all my cd wav files on,

Will the sound be any different from the digital out on either the sonos zp90 or the squeezbox??????

(one large benefit of the squeezbox is the 24bit compatibility)

But i dont have any 24 bit, ! although would be interested in it.

Help please.

Thanks

Tim

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
If you are an apple user iTunes etc then the Airport Express may be a cheaper alternative, still bit perfect but no 24bit support unfortunately.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Guys,

Is they all sound the same with the use of an external dac them i think its going to be the Squeezebox, due to the touch screen and remote control.

Unless anyone knows of a reason not to.

Thanks

Tim

A

Anonymous

squeezebox sounds like a better deal to me.

If you're looking into putting a sonos like device into every room in your apartment, and want to have your pc running all the time/have already got a nas drive, the sonos might be good. The sonos looks like a more polished device if you have the money to spend.

I'm looking at plugging an external 1 TB hard drive right into the Squeezebox. and using it's optical out into a Rega dac myself.

An external hard drive being cheaper than a Nas drive setup. (Also save electricity).

A

Anonymous

what speakers are you planning on getting? Just curious.

I guess you're doing the SqueezeBox => Rega => Nait 5i => ??

daveh75

tim20:
Thanks Guys,

Is they all sound the same with the use of an external dac them i think its going to be the Squeezebox, due to the touch screen and remote control.

Thanks

Tim

Bare in mind that if you intend to use Squeezebox with a NAS, the NAS requires Squeezecentre (server software), which can be a PITA to install from what i've read. Though you could just use a USB drive with the Squeezebox touch and not worry about the need for squeezecentre.

Sonos requires no such software, so will be easier to set-up...

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm a Sonos user and like the fact that I don't need the PC running and can use pretty much any NAS. I use digi coax by the way

A

Anonymous

daveh75:tim20:
Thanks Guys,

Thanks

Tim

Bare in mind that if you intend to use Squeezebox with a NAS, the NAS requires Squeezecentre (server software), which can be a PITA to install from what i've read. Though you could just use a USB drive with the Squeezebox touch and not worry about the need for squeezecentre.

Sonos requires no such software, so will be easier to set-up...

Not my experience - Squeezebox server/centre was a doddle to install/setup. However, if I was choosing again I might go for Sonos - not being able to stream Spotify via Squeezebox if hosted on a non-amd NAS chipset is a major irritation for me at the moment

A

Anonymous

Are there any other similar streamers to the zp90 and squeezebox touch out there that im missing?

Tim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts