Best cheap DAC?

tone

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
What is a good DAC that is under $100?

and does it really make a difference to get a more expensive one?

Does a DAC make a huge improvement over my Laptops soundcard DAC?

thanks!

smarkgee

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
normally i cant tell the difference however i have a cheap £30 amazon jobby and a more expensive musical fidelity x24 dac...the difference is very significant. volume/clairty etc etc.

however the £30 is quite acceptable

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
To answer your question whether you’ll hear and improvement depends on how good your sound card is, some are very good but more often than not the standard ones on cheaper laptops won’t be much cop and can be bettered with an off board DAC. You can take digital signal out via USB and also double check the headphone out socket as these often run a optical signal in parallel, if that is the case you may well see a red light if you take a look.

I’d say plus one for the Fiio also have a look at this, dirt cheap but has many fans: There is also an emerging breed of micro USB dacs such as the Dragonfly

Annoying, can’t see the verification box to post links but this is off ebay - Digital Optical Coax Coaxial Toslink to Analog RCA Audio Converter Adapter w/Opt seller xingye 1029

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
To answer your question whether you’ll hear and improvement depends on how good your sound card is, some are very good but more often than not the standard ones on cheaper laptops won’t be much cop and can be bettered with an off board DAC. You can take digital signal out via USB and also double check the headphone out socket as these often run a optical signal in parallel, if that is the case you may well see a red light if you take a look.

I’d say plus one for the Fiio also have a look at this, dirt cheap but has many fans: There is also an emerging breed of micro USB dacs such as the Dragonfly

Annoying, can’t see the verification box to post links but this is off ebay - Digital Optical Coax Coaxial Toslink to Analog RCA Audio Converter Adapter w/Opt seller xingye 1029

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts