Best CD player for Bass performance (not a very lean sound)

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Whats the best CD player at around 500 used or new for a full sound. I dont want a cd player with very lean bass - something hard hitting?

A

Anonymous

Your description of what you want appears to be contradictory but for your price, I would suggest the Rega Apollo. Nice extended bass.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:For solid extended bass, I would plump for the Exposure 2010s. It has most of the attributes you are searching for and a bit extra. . .

That is hard to beat for the money (New)

missing that try 2nd hand Sugden CD21 mk1 which certainly not lean at all, Primare CD31 or MF A3.5.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Cheers guys. Sorry if i seemed to be contradicting my self. What i meant was i want hard hitting bass. At the moment im using a cyrus cd6. I find it too lean and the sound not very "full". Also the bass although nice and tight is not very powerful or "hard hitting". Any way thanks but one more thing - given the choice CYRUS CD 8X OR REGA APPOLO?
I can probibly pick them both up within my budget second hand?

A

Anonymous

Between the two :

Bass - Rega Apollo (IMO)

Detail Resolution - Cyrus CD8X (IMO)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
SHAXOS:Cheers guys. Sorry if i seemed to be contradicting my self. What i meant was i want hard hitting bass. At the moment im using a cyrus cd6. I find it too lean and the sound not very "full". Also the bass although nice and tight is not very powerful or "hard hitting". Any way thanks but one more thing - given the choice CYRUS CD 8X OR REGA APPOLO? I can probibly pick them both up within my budget second hand?

Cyrus. The Apollo is a good cdp but it lacks some focus, drive and and has a slightly soft ill defined bass compared to the cyrus8 which really is better than the 6. Nice treble though.

Just an example, if you listen to the Apollo/Saturn back to back, the later is more neutral, has a lower noise floor, seats you a further back with better separation and deeper, delineated bass which tells whats going on below rather than muddlying it even though it (apollo) may give initially the impression of there being more of it. Of course the saturn is more expensive but the cyrus8 is not far behind and there's always the option of a psx and it matches your amp. Try it mate

T

the record spot

If it's hard hitting bass you want, I'd maybe be tempted to look away from the Cyrus player; I think the reviews comment on their lean sound, even with the 8. Alternatively, maybe it beefs up with a PSX power supply? In which case you could look round for an end-of-line deal which Cyrus offer (through their dealers) every year or so.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Rega doesn't slam out bass! It has a very natural bass sound but certainly not on the fat side.

Cyrus don't do that either although CD7Q's timming is pretty spot on therefore the bass is tight and tuneful.

I would be looking at cd player that fitted with TDA1541 DAC chipset like Arcam five + or early Hi-end Marantz.

I reckon none of the under £1000 cdp can slam - in the sense of "LIVE" sound. To be honest I would rather be looking for speakers and amp combo as it would be easier than fine disc spinner at this price point.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Thaiman,
Thing is i recently upgraded to bel canto pre and amplifiication and i am quite happy with it. Its being paired with a cyrus cd6 which i know is selling my system short. I also very recently changed speakers to a pair of bowers 805S. I will definatly consider the cd advise though.

A

Anonymous

I've heard the CD6 before and I didn't think it was overly lean with bass.

I'd hazard a guess that the Proacs are the main cause of the lean bass. From recent experience of older proacs they sound very similar to some custom made speakers I've just got, tight and lean, great on vocals but no weighty punch on lower frequencies

What other component sources do you have e.g turntable, tuner? Do these sound lean too?

To play safe, I'd test some other sources with the proacs to make sure you really want to change the CDP first.

I'm finding that my Rogers LS55's are very hard to beat they have fantastic bass weight and it's well controlled. I'm going to test some Spendor S6e's to see if there's any improvement.

I've got a Marantz CD17Mk2 KI and the main difference is detail. I tested the Arcam 192 too and again, like the CD17 it was more detailed than the CD6000 OSE predecessor. There wasn't much difference in bass weight, just more detail all round.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Aeroadster:

I've heard the CD6 before and I didn't think it was overly lean with bass.

I'd hazard a guess that the Proacs are the main cause of the lean bass. From recent experience of older proacs they sound very similar to some custom made speakers I've just got, tight and lean, great on vocals but no weighty punch on lower frequencies

What other component sources do you have e.g turntable, tuner? Do these sound lean too?

To play safe, I'd test some other sources with the proacs to make sure you really want to change the CDP first.

I'm finding that my Rogers LS55's are very hard to beat they have fantastic bass weight and it's well controlled. I'm going to test some Spendor S6e's to see if there's any improvement.

I've got a Marantz CD17Mk2 KI and the main difference is detail. I tested the Arcam 192 too and again, like the CD17 it was more detailed than the CD6000 OSE predecessor. There wasn't much difference in bass weight, just more detail all round.

My mistake, I think I mixed shaxos up with another forum member. I dont know if he uses ProAcs, my apologies, but even if he does, they (Studios) are not bass light, simply fast and accurate given suitable partnering equipment and compared to some of the boom boxes out there. Anyway, to put things into perspective, I've recently listened to AVI's 9.1 which compared to anything I've ever heard, sound 'bass light'. After a while you'll realize it's there and if/when something bassy comes along, such as a plucked D/B, you hear it in no certain terms. I think I still use a sub with them but not immediately, as suggested by AJ of AVI.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Just to clarify, i do have bowers and wilkins 805s speakers. However i have been talking about the proacs a lot before buying these so thats prob where the mix up came from. I appreciate your help and opinion either way drummerman.

Just to throw a few more into the mix -
Arcam diva cd192 for 400 pounds new
musical fidelity xray v8 with psu - 500 new

These look like really good deals, what you think?

Alternativly probibly pick up a cyrus cd7q for 350 - not heard it but seems to be very highly regarded

A

Anonymous

Shaxos: you say you've got Bel Canto amplification, but I thought you just sold/are selling them on cyrus unofficial? Unless you're someone else? I only say as I was v v tempted by the price on your pre!

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
No mate it is the same person. This is rather embarrassing but i can explain...
I removed the listing for the power amp because i decided to keep it after a rather enjoyable listening session and the power was never the issue in my system (also a pathos logos i was looking at got sold). I might have said that its been sold to stop interest. Its the same situation with the pre. There are two routes i could go down to improve my system. Firtly buy a cd player and stick with current set up or the other one which i feel would bring a greater benefit (but more expensive) is to sell my pre and buy a used bel canto dac3. This would mean i buy could buy a half decent transport in the future and have a really good source which would remedy my current problem. The main problem is that i need to sell my pre before embarking down this road as i cannot afford it. Because i am missing out on some tasty dedicated cd player deals, waiting to sell my pre i decided to pull that. I am now in the process of choosing my dedicated player. If you are interested in the pre i do still have it but you must be quick - once i buy a dedicated cd player im keeping it. Sorry for the confusion caused.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
My God im confusing the hell out of people today!
Sorry mate i have bel canto pre and power so cant really add a cyrus. Besides i do feel that cd is definataly the limiting factor of my system...

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Later MF cdp model doesn't slam like the early one and Arcam certainly give more of a midrange than bass.

You look like Prince NAZ btw, if you are NAZ...I am your biggest fan
emotion-2.gif

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Hey Thaiman,
When you say older MF players would the xray be such a model? Like the one shaped like a tube. Is the one you said was essentially the same as the 3.5 in a different chassis? I think i could easily pick one up in my budget and i do love the looks of the xray too.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
No definatly not Naz. My ears are no where near as big ha ha. To be honest in my opinion he was the most overrated boxer ever! But i think thats a debate for another forum :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts