best cd player and integrated amp....

indietronic

May 21, 2008
Visit site
to match a pair of epos m12.2 ?

i think i like lintone's offer of Arcam CD73 (btw, does it support cdr-w/mp3 ?)

this or marantz 5003/6002 ?

amplifier suggestions ?

t.i.a.!

indi@

A

Anonymous

Arcam works fine with Epos. I had a pair of M12.2 + Arcam A65 Plus / CD73, and it worked really well. The Arcam kit rounded the edges of the Epos, and gave a fuller, warmer, creamier sound.

Now, if you want to make the Epos even faster, I'd go for a Creek Evo pair. Actually WHF reviewed a system like this on 2006, and found it very good; they only missed more dynamics.

indietronic

May 21, 2008
Visit site
you think cd73 would be a much wiser option than marantz cd 6002 ? marantz new series 5003 + 6002 play mp3 cd's as well....

can you tell me more about mechanical capabilities of arcam's cd73 such as seek time, robust or not build etc. moreover , i saw in a review that cd73 plays dvd-audio . is it true ? does it play mp3 / cdrw discs?

thanks a lot.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I dont think you could go wrong with the NAD C355BEE integared amp and the NAD C542 CDP.

Much better suited to Epos and indie rather then Arcam.

You could also take a look at some decent 2nd hand separates on eBay i.e. Musical Fidelity, Rotel, NAD etc...

Arcam sounds great (ass you can see below im an avid fan) but its a warm sounding system with plenty of punch and smooth treble/midrange but i feel too warm for indie.

NAD is just as good re bass weight and smooth midrange but i feel that its a bit more 'open' and would be much better suited to indie and the vocals/acoustic range

A

Anonymous

I can't agree - the Arcam CD73 is by far the best player on the market for under £500 IMO and now it's available for less than £300! I have it and it performs superbly on rock and indie etc - it doesn't have the usual soft "Arcam" sound - neither does the Arcam CD192 - as for an amplifier, the Creek EVO would be superb or one of the new Pioneer models.

A

Anonymous

I don't know if NAD is better for indie than Arcam (after all, I don't even know what style of music indie is
emotion-2.gif
), but I do know that the CD73 is far superior than the NAD 542, because I have owned both.

Also for me NAD is just not "clean" enough for the Epos; I like NAD a lot (I've owned 320BEE, 315BEE, 521BEE, and 542), I think they have excellent dynamics and punch for the asking money, but they have a fair amount of grain in mid-high frequencies, and the Eposes definitely will show this, resulting in a dirty treble. For me, the Epos need cleaner electronics otherwise they will sound harsh. It won't be a disaster, and I certainly would prefer this combo to a CA/Epos. But I think you can do better with Arcam.

Now, if NAD is really the best for indie...I really wouldn't know.

A

Anonymous

indietronic:

can you tell me more about mechanical capabilities of arcam's cd73 such as seek time, robust or not build etc. moreover , i saw in a review that cd73 plays dvd-audio . is it true ? does it play mp3 / cdrw discs?

It does NOT play DVD-Audio. It does play, and has not problems to read CD-R, CD-RW and MP3.

Its build quality is good for the price, and it reads and tracks quickly. Not as fast as a CA 640, if I recall well. But then again that thing is really fast!

A

Anonymous

The CD73 (Which I have) reads as quick as anyone could possibly demand; it has sublime build quality and looks great in the flesh and you'll love it as soon as you feel the curvy front panel and the soft touch buttons. It playes SACDs and HDCDs and CDRWs and the rest, but SACDs will be treated as normal CDs because the DAC is only capable of 44.1khz - however, it does have a 24bit DAC and displays the text of CDs (So you can see the album, artist, track etc) and you can dim the background and turn the screen off all together if you so wish! It also has two sets of analogue outputs (good for multi-room use), a digital output and an optical output.

All in all, a lovely CD player which is incredibly reliable and has great sound quality!

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I have owned the Arcam CD73 and for the money it now sells for i think it is a superb bargain.

I do also like NAD amps and cd players but the Arcam is much clearer and more detailed. Personally I would work from the Epos speakers with Arcam CD73 and audition some different amps to find what you like best.

indietronic

May 21, 2008
Visit site
i also like its sound, you all cant go wrong, after all.. just two questions :

1) Tannoyite, are you sure CD73 supports mp3 playback? i dont see it featured in the brochures or anyware..

2) since lintone sells at such affordable prices, you think i should wait for m.f. x-ray v8 to pop up again , of course its more expensive, but what do you guys think of v8 ? any comparison between arcam cd73 and xray v8 ?

crusaderlord, that's what i'm thinking of doing...

indi@

ps: once more i AM indi@ (indietronic):) DO NOT listen to indie pop or what, i mainly listen to jazz, old rock, blues and a little classical.

A

Anonymous

I have recorded several CD-Rs using MP3 files, and it reads those CD-Rs. If this is what you mean by "playing MP3", it does. If not, then sorry for the confusion!

A

Anonymous

indietronic:
indi@ is my signature :)

And Tronic is your surname?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts