Best Buy British Website

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
sedish chef:No, ironically. It's just a forum name, and accidentally mispelt.

Is that Alan S Morrisons-style irony?

But anyway, back on topic: it's quite a poor website, even within its Daily Mail agenda, as it is wrong in several respects.

A

Anonymous

I said the manufacturer does not benefit from my purchase directly as a retort to the previous question as to where they were made.

If you see the development of this post , then you may notice that comments I have made are reactive said comment and to others stating 'xenophobia'. It annoys me that when you try to pass on something you believe to be positive, some others mistake its intentions. You then defend your point by saying you can make an informed decision on 'say' human rights and then that is also mistaken.

The point of this post was to mention the website that I have visited. Take it or leave it

A

Anonymous

I have been lead to believe that it could do with updating some of its info.

T

the record spot

sedish chef:
I said the manufacturer does not benefit from my purchase directly as a retort to the previous question as to where they were made.

If you see the development of this post , then you may notice that comments I have made are reactive said comment and to others stating 'xenophobia'. It annoys me that when you try to pass on something you believe to be positive, some others mistake its intentions. You then defend your point by saying you can make an informed decision on 'say' human rights and then that is also mistaken.

The point of this post was to mention the website that I have visited. Take it or leave it

Oh right, understood. So you don't have a problem buying a product manufactured in "say" a country with a dubious human rights record then? Or do you hold that view but think that buying such a product secondhand is subsequently alright? If the former, my earlier post is redundant. If the latter, it's bang on.

John Duncan

Gentlemen, gentlemen. I think accusations of xenophobia are somewhat wide of the mark (some people actually *do* care where things are made, you know).

However, I do think:

1) the 'I buy secondhand' argument is somewhat na‹ve (IMO)
2) if you want to avoid exploitative goods, I'd suggest you stop eating, wearing clothes, and plugging anything in
3) if agreeing with a government's ideology is a prerequisite for buying that country's goods, I'd best start packing up the Uniti

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Gentlemen, gentlemen. I think accusations of xenophobia are somewhat wide of the mark (some people actually *do* care where things are made, you know).However, I do think:1) the 'I buy secondhand' argument is somewhat na‹ve (IMO)2) if you want to avoid exploitative goods, I'd suggest you stop eating, wearing clothes, and plugging anything in3) if agreeing with a government's ideology is a prerequisite for buying that country's goods, I'd best start packing up the Uniti

that's a bit of an oversimplification though. You can actually wear things and eat things that have been produced ethically, in the sense that people have been paid living wages, have decent working conditions and environmental impact is minimised. This gets considerably more tricky, if not impossible, when it comes to electronics.

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Gentlemen, gentlemen. I think accusations of xenophobia are somewhat wide of the mark (some people actually *do* care where things are made, you know).
emotion-21.gif
However, I do think: 1) the 'I buy secondhand' argument is somewhat na‹ve (IMO) 2) if you want to avoid exploitative goods, I'd suggest you stop eating, wearing clothes, and plugging anything in 3) if agreeing with a government's ideology is a prerequisite for buying that country's goods, I'd best start packing up the Uniti

Well said on the first point John, as far the rest of the xenophobic / ethical debate goes - I think everyone should give the poor bloke a break and stop trying to tie him up in knots.

Personally Im all for buying British and lots and lots of other ethical ideas, but as I happen to live in the real world Im also easily swayed by a better deal etc, doesnt make me a bad person. Thanks for the heads up on the web site sedish chef, even if it is a bit rubbish
emotion-4.gif

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
BillDay66:
JohnDuncan:Gentlemen, gentlemen. I think accusations of xenophobia are somewhat wide of the mark (some people actually *do* care where things are made, you know).
emotion-21.gif
However, I do think: 1) the 'I buy secondhand' argument is somewhat na‹ve (IMO) 2) if you want to avoid exploitative goods, I'd suggest you stop eating, wearing clothes, and plugging anything in 3) if agreeing with a government's ideology is a prerequisite for buying that country's goods, I'd best start packing up the Uniti

Well said on the first point John, as far the rest of the xenophobic / ethical debate goes - I think everyone should give the poor bloke a break and stop trying to tie him up in knots.

Personally Im all for buying British and lots and lots of other ethical ideas, but as I happen to live in the real world Im also easily swayed by a better deal etc, doesnt make me a bad person.Thanks for the heads up on the web site sedish chef, even if it is a bit rubbish
emotion-4.gif

this is very much up for debate

A

Anonymous

This has moved on a bit since I went for some shut eye.

This reminds me of my grandads advice he gave me. Never discuss politics or religion. I don't necessarily agree, but I can see why he would think that.

I agree that buying second hand can be naiive, but it's all down to what you expect from your decision. I wouldn't believe that my decision would make an iota of difference, but when the choice is before you and you can fulfill all your criteria for your purchase; and do something positive at the same time, however insignificant it may seem, then I believe that is a good thing. I don't believe in an all or nothing approach to these things as to ethics is a complex arena where we balance what we believe with what is attainable. It's always easier to be ethical when your minted, but for the likes of me who bought his gear second hand I balanced what I was after with trying to do something positive. I'm sure the impact of my decision will be up for debate, but until I can afford a Rega set-up (for example - and maybe it's not 100% British made) I chose to do something, un-naiively.

Many thanks for the banter.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Oh boy. My head hurts.

I've only just twigged that this was a completely separate site and not the British arm of BestBuy being discussed. I did think that it was a little strange for a multi-national company to be highlighting such things...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
My preference for British manufactured products (whenever possible, practical and affordable) is simply an economic one.

Given a realistic choice, I will go for the product that helps to keep wages and taxes and profits inside the UK economy, and helps (just a little) those people making and designing and marketing the products to keep their jobs.

I am the same when shopping in supermarkets where I will buy vegetables (especially) and other foods that are sourced in the UK rather than - say - Kenya or Israel or Spain.

It also drives my decision to shop in places like John Lewis (no shareholders so employees get dividends as bonuses instead) whenever possible for major items like televisions and furniture.

I will continue to do this for as long as I can reasonably afford to and whenever the choice of a UK product is a sensible one. For example, our Kenwood Chef was made just a few miles away (and cost what seemed like a fortune at the time) but it will last a lifetime with luck.

I can't afford to follow this philosophy with all of my purchases (and it wouldn't always be the best choice) so I do end up buying some Chinese manufactured items like iPhones and iMacs and Japanese made items like the Panasonic DVD recorder and the Hungarian made Sony BDP-S370 etc.

The problem with the 'Buy British' campaign of the 1970s was that for every Mordaunt Short or KEF speaker or Kenwood mixer or Ercol chair there was an Amstrad or Fidelity 'cashing in' with sub-standard quality goods also sporting a little Union flag sticker too!

So, despite the above, I am suspicious of overt 'flag waving' by British companies. The quality should 'speak' for itself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts